Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tips?!?!

Poster: A snowHead
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
bensley, Park boots will not be able to offer this all round performance as well as a pair of properly fitted standard alpine boots.

I'm definitely going to take the advice of a naked zookeeper (possibly the strangest sentence I've ever writen) and get properly fitted up this weekend in some standard alpine boots. Something quite stiff I guess like the Rossignol things I was trying on in that boot shop in Val Thorens, or perhaps some Salomons as I hear they tend to be narrow....like my feet Smile

And dont worry George_1 I wont be as fussy as Jakub "the tart" about the colour, the experts tell me all that matters is comfort so thats all I'll focus on.

If all goes to plan and I pick up my new ski's Saturday morning sometime I can get accross to Ellis Brigham in Milton Keynes to get boots and get them to adjust the bindings to fit the boots at the same time, unless this is very easy and you people think I could do it myself...?!?

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Ha ha its all falling into place!!!

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley[/b]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bensley, if you're buying the skis of someone who is capable of doing it, and you turn up at his house with the boots, I'm sure he could set them up for you (should be easy if your feet are around a 9-10 size)...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bensley, when you want to bold something you have to type [/b] at the end (you have the slash the wrong way round) EDIT: you worked it out Embarassed

good luck with all the plans snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bensley, Not sure if this will be a bit out of the way for you, but Id recommend Lockwoods in Leamington Spa for boots- worth the extra effort I reckon. Proper bootfitters with facilities for making adjustments to shells etc. As for binding adjustment, regardless of how easy it is I reckon its always better to let a professional do it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, if I get the boots first from Milton Keynes (or Leamington Spa when I can find that on a map) it means I wont be able to get to your house until about lunchtime I reckon, maybe from 12:30ish onwards (assuming it takes about an hour to get fitted for ski boots).....if thats ok then I'll do that as that would be really helpful!

My shoe size is 9 but tend to get 27's in ski boots which I have been told equates to and 8?!?!?.....narrow feet!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bensley, When I walked into the zoo for the first day of work I was wearing my UK10 skate shoes and spent the first half hour being laughed at. I was then fitted into a pair of size 26(UK7) ski boots. It appears that without the guidance of proffesional bootfitters we commonly overestimate the size of our feet. There are of course plenty of reasons for this drop in size from street to ski boots, but this thread doesn't need to be hijacked by such discussions. The point (if I actually had one) is that trust a proffesional bootfitter when buying boots, so head to Leamington Spa Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK wise words and they will be taken on board, I'll give them a call and see what time they open, I feel its going to be an early start and a long day but a very pleasurable one Smile and of course I will update you all with the results from my boot&ski adventure!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll echo NZK's remarks. (and if you've read my report of my bootfitting trip to Chamonix, you'll know that they had the measure of my feet at the bar the night before I walked into the shop)

Size 10 feet, now in 27.5 boots. Would have been 26.5 if I had been staying in Chamonix for a few weeks...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Visit Bicester and you'll have size 11 feet in size 26.5 boots Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's nothing compared with rock climbing shoes Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And is this how the bootfitters achieve it? Are they all Chinese?

Quote:
The foot-binding ritual traditionally begins with the clipping of the toenails and the soaking of the feet either in hot water or in a concoction of ingredients ranging from various herbs and nuts to less desirable substances such as urine and warm animal blood. This is allegedly to soften the tissue and bones of the foot to facilitate manipulation. After the feet are massaged and doused with alum4 (and please bear in mind that these girls have absolutely no idea what they're in for until the day itself). All the toes on the foot, save for the big one, are broken and folded under the sole, and then the toes are bound in place with a 10'x2" silk or cotton bandage5. These wrappings are removed every two days to allow the washing and meticulous manicuring of the toenails to avoid infection. This is no act of kindness - immediately after this pedicure, the bandages go back on, and tighter. And tighter still. Eventually the arch of the foot is also broken and the foot is pulled straight with the leg. The shoe sizes are also reduced gradually to accommodate the shrinking feet.

(from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1155872 ) Eeeugh Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OH MY GOD!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, My Birthday list:
1 Pair of contorted feet....

Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bensley, Mojo80, Mojo90 & Volkl Karma's would feature on my shortlist.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or the High Society FRs, Icelantic Nomads or Icelantic Pilgrims.

Sorry but I had to get in there.
ski holidays
kiwi1, I knew that was your post before I even logged in!

bensley, It would've been good to have tried some of the icelantic skis while they were offer to us! I would recomend the pilgrim, with the vist bindings they make an unbelievably versatile ski, they were very similar to my karmas (which most people know I totally adore!)
snow report
george_1 wrote:
robboadd, I'm afraid what your trying to tell ben to do, is to buy some boots which he doesn't really want.

Bensley wrote:
I'm looking for all mountain use, typical day skiing - go up as high as possible ski down something steep and fast, then venture off piste to get accross to the park for some air time, all backwards! ha ha, not really but something that can handle a bit of everything.

NAKEDZOOKEEPER is right, but im sure he knows that already Laughing

I didn't say that I said get a pair that fit properly because the most important factor is that they are comfortable. I have two pairs of boots for the reason that you state they are not stiff enough. I use head rs100s with my rossignol radicals and the spks with my triplets.
The main point I wanted to make is that saying they are too soft is rubbish you can use them all mountain if I was going to have a boot on all day and ski all mountain whatever it maybe I would pick the spks due to the comfort. Please do not mistake me for someone who does not know what they are on about I ski to a very high standard. To the original comment I made the reason why I use the spks the most is due to comfort and I have not found them to prevent the performance of my skis when carving or simply skiing.
The main problem I have with people and ski equipment is that of what you are accusing me of it is personal preference which is decided on many factors such as what you ski and your overall standard you will not know what you like the best until you try them yourself. I just think the comment made by nakedzookeeper is made by a person who has never skied this boot and I expect him to have very little park experience. He may be a professional boot fitter but appears to lack experience in using the equipment. I do apologise for any wrong stereotypes and for going off of topic. Just make sure the boots are fitted correctly whatever they are!!

Adam
ski holidays
I don't believe in stereotypes - if the boot fits, wear it.
ski holidays
petemillis, I thought it was: if the boot fits, then try find a cheaper alternative NehNeh
haha.

I think im due for some snug boots at the beginning of next season, May try find my way over to the zoo before I head to tignes...
ski holidays
robboadd, have you ever heard of puntuation? Makes things easier to read.
ski holidays
Lizzard, strange, his native punctuation isn't too bad...
ski holidays
robboadd, What is the purpose of a ski boot? How is it designed to work? What is it's principal function? Why should a Freestyle boot be soft?
snow conditions
So here you go folks, after all the help and advice I've received on this thread and in various PM's I've made my choice and parted with my money and this is what I've got to show for it:

killer boots man!!!!

They look extremely long to me but they do have a large tip at the front and back so the effective ski which is in contact with the snow at any one time is obviously reduced quite a lot. I'll be testing them out this Tuesday at Milton Keynes so wish me luck! I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again everyone!
ski holidays
Nicely matching colours - good choice Smile
Bet you can't wait to next holidays now. I was dying to get away when I got my latest pair of skis. Maks the time pass quickly thinking about it - 9 months just disappears.
snow report
bensley, how did you arrive at the chosen length? Do you have other skis? Are the twin tips about the same length as your other ski or did you get them longer?
latest report
I often wish I'd gone a little longer in my twin tips, mainly because a little extra length at the back might aid recovery from backseat landings.
snow report
bensley, nice skis! Wink
ski holidays
abc wrote:
bensley, how did you arrive at the chosen length? Do you have other skis? Are the twin tips about the same length as your other ski or did you get them longer?

I was originally looking for something around 170 and I know the K2 Public Enemy's come in 169cm so that was what I was aiming for, but these came up at a good price with awesome bindings and weren't far from my house. I'm going to try them out tomorrow in Milton Keynes. I guess the extra length will come in handy for off piste stuff and also for those landings where you are leaning a little far back....it will take some getting used to but I like I challenge Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
bensley, nice skis! Wink

Cheers dude, I got them off this really nice bloke in Ivenhoe! Jolly good cap!
ski holidays
bensley wrote:
So after cruising around switch most of the EoSB I've decided before I go on season I want to take the leap fully into twintips! Can anyone suggest the best ones to look out for in the end of season sales, and which bindings are best.

I'm looking for all mountain use, typical day skiing - go up as high as possible ski down something steep and fast, then venture off piste to get accross to the park for some air time, all backwards! ha ha, not really but something that can handle a bit of everything.

So let me know what you recommend (George the 1st) and where I might be able to get a good deal online or instore somewhere!

Cheers guys and girls.... Madeye-Smiley

Bensley- How big are you? I ask this because I have some undrilled 181 cm '08 Trouble Makers (w/ matching NX 12 bindings) sitting with a friend in Bourg St. Maurice that I was going to put up for sale at the start of the season...remember that twin tips ski shorter than a flat tail ski, so these will likely feel more like a 175. PM me here (or at epicski.com for a faster response). Matt

Sorry...missed the part where you already bought...enjoy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy