Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tips?!?!

Poster: A snowHead
So after cruising around switch most of the EoSB I've decided before I go on season I want to take the leap fully into twintips! Can anyone suggest the best ones to look out for in the end of season sales, and which bindings are best.

I'm looking for all mountain use, typical day skiing - go up as high as possible ski down something steep and fast, then venture off piste to get accross to the park for some air time, all backwards! ha ha, not really but something that can handle a bit of everything.

So let me know what you recommend (George the 1st) and where I might be able to get a good deal online or instore somewhere!

Cheers guys and girls.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bensley,

What you want, is a pair of Volkl Karmas.
I use them, and they are actually amazing at everything, a really good all round ski, they carve nicely on piste, cope well with deep stuff, and riding them switch isnt too bad (nobody saw me fall coming down after we had been at the bar, right? rolling eyes )

The K2 Public Enemy is also a good all round ski, I see alot of them in parks and alot of seasonaires seem to ride them too
The K2 Silencer is similar to the PE but is a whole load cheaper, something to do with the way it is made I think.

The Dynastar Trouble maker looks decent, quite similar to the Karma, can cope with all conditions.

get down to MK ellis brigham and try a few out, and let me know if you like any I'll see if I can get you a bit of a deal.

Oh and the look px12 bindings are awesome.

(and we have a bed going for the season in tignes if you fancy it too)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok cool thx put my name down for the bed in Tignes, I dont fancy sharing a single room with 3 or 4 people for a whole season it'll do my nut in! I'm pretty sure the company I am planning on working for operates in Tignes I'll check it out and let you know.

Can you ask your pals at Ellis Brigham if they can give you a price on the following, I've listed them in order of preference:

1) Volkl - Karma (169cm or 177cm not sure which would be better) (EB do these with Scrath 120's I think)
2) Dynastar - Trouble Maker (175cm) (These come with PX12 Jib bindings according to my catalogue)
3) K2 - Public Enemy (174cm) (EB do these with the M12.0 binding)
4) Rossignal - Scratch FS WRS (174cm) (Scratch 140 Ti bindings I think)

I've put on there what binding the catalogue says they come with but if they can I'd prefer the PX12 Jib bindings on the ski's if possible if you think they are the best. Also I put down the length they come in, I've been looking at some places online and they dont seem to have all the lengths still in stock, so see what they say as it might be a case that the lengths available dictates which ski I end up with.

Let me know what they say asap. Cheers dude! Hating the 'no snow' aspect of being back home....

Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-04-07 16:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In fact, I dont have much of a preference between those 4 to be honest unless you think the Rossignol - Scratch skis are not as good as the others, they have some good write ups though thats why I included them. Just see what you can do and we can talk more when we know more Smile

Tks again mate!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bensley, yeah the no snow thing is pretty poo-poo.

I dont know how much the rent will be in tignes, it could be an absolute ton depending how many of us are sharing.

Find out what the staff accom will be like with your company first!

I'll let you know what my mates say, I shouldve included the scratch, its a good ski (endorsed by candide thovex i think...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No mention for the 1080 foil? I picked it over the named ski lineup earlier this year
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
toiletduckuk, How does it ski? I've never touched them, but had heard bad stuff.

Would be worth a blast at MK though, it is all down to personal choice!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As George says, I think its all down to personal choice. I met some Swedish guys in L2A at Easter, great skiiers and they all had 1080s. A lot of the instructors in Livigno had K2 PEs. The English people who I assume were doing seasons tended to have the Karmas. The French kids had rossi scratch or volkl dogen.
Those are just my observations based on a tiny sample, but I wouldn't worry about making a bad choice, I don't think you can:)

P.s. I have the Scratches and they are excellent for me, on piste, off piste and in the park.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I realise now I have posted this thread in the wrong section, it should be in Equipment Review/Questions, anyway.......Has anyone thought about the K2 Seth Vicious ski's. They seem more expensive than the K2 - Public Enemy, does no one mention them becuase they are not much better but are just more expensive? Or are they rubbish?

I'm about to take a stroll down to Snow and Rock on London Bridge to see what stock they have left and to look at boots. Wont buy anything today but am curious to see things in the flesh.

Will let you know if I find anything out...

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bensley wrote:
I realise now I have posted this thread in the wrong section, it should be in Equipment Review/Questions, anyway.......

<pantomime>Oh no it isn't</pantomime>
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bensley, The Seth Vicious is wider than the majority of the above mentioned at 98mm underfoot- it is therefore more of a 'backcountry' twintip. As with all k2 skis its full woodcore so will last longer and be more responsive than skis like 1080s which are monocoque. If you were to look at a backcountry twintip ski then have a look at the Nordica Enforcer- very similar to the Seth but with a bigger sidecut so it is more manouverable (also quite cheap because it is Nordica's first ski in that category so they're trying to tempt people away from the better known models- Ive just recieved a brand new pair that I will playing with next year.....). Also worth looking at is the Volkl Bridge, its basically a Karma but 92mm undefoot.

As for boots, not sure if you're familiar with rantings from 'the zoo' but do yourself a favour and pop over to Bicester and see Colin ( snowHead = CEM).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might have to go visit Colin regarding boots, do you have to buy them first and take them to him or can he supply boots as well as fit them?

I'm not really looking for a back country ski, more a general all rounder, lots of piste work, some off piste and some park. Definitely twin tips though as switch is the new black supposedly!

I'm off to snow and rock to see what they have seeing as its a slow afternoon at work, well not really, but who cares Smile ha ha ha
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bensley, If purchasing is the premis, you'll be better served at Lockwoods for boots, i know CEM has a deal with 'Beans', but maybe Lockwoods will have a more Advanced Selection.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toiletduckuk, george_1, got a pair of the 1080 foils cheap at the end of last year. I like them. I know they are not wood-core and so probably not as long lasting, but hey - I will probably only ski another 6-8 weeks on them in anycase, and I don't go in the park or ride switch much Toofy Grin

I do think there is a lot of toss talked about skis. I have sometimes found skis I really didn't like, but rarely demoed ones which made me think they were hugely better than the rest. I also am not sure how well you can appreciate a ski in a fridge, or if you ski them for less than a few days. I still think that for most of us, our first impressions of a ski are more about how the ski reacts to our bad habits, rather than how good the ski is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, It's true, given todays technology, there is no such thing as a bad ski. However there are those, better than others. A woodcore ski, will retain it's properties way longer than a monocoque. That said, will you ever use a monocoque to death, before you change it? My perspective is that the Foil for eg, is the same price as a Karma/Bridge/PE, however with 2 seasons hard use, i know which one will still be up for the business. Where does the money go? Into the Manufacturers pocket? A sandwich construction plant is more expensive to maintain and use, the materials more expensive (if finite) therfore i feel there is a greater value attached to this product.
snow report
[b]Smallzookeeper[b] You have a weird signature thingy at the bottom of your messages.
[b]nakedzookeeper[b] You also have a weird signature thingy, I'm seeing a pattern developing here!

Who are you guys anyway, I'm sure I met you at the EoSB, but I was probably in a drunken state at the time......plus I'm useless with names.

P.S - Snow and Rock have almost nothing left in stock, and by that I mean like 1 pair of 194cm twin tip ski's only or something like that. I stopped listening to him after a while as I was too depressed....
ski holidays
bensley, SZK was there and gone like an international man of mystery Cool
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, strange to see you popping up in a disacussion on twin-tip skis.

Are you planning on getting some to rip and shred the park next year Shocked? Get amped Dude(ess)!
latest report
bensley, My signature is Swedish for 'I lost my skis at the top of the Grand Montets'. We get a lot of Scandinavians in our shop, many of which do silly things on skis- I learnt to say this in Swedish so I could drop it into conversation and try and be as cool as they are (or was it just to take the wee wee a bit??). As for having met me, I wasn't at the EoSb, whilst SZK was frolicking I was sat in a very empty shop getting extremely bored.

SZK's signature, I think, is related to him meeting and taking a slight fancy to a female snowboarding snowHead . I think it may become clear if you read some of the posts here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26407.

And just for genereal interest, http://www.perfectmoment.com has pretty cool clips of above mentioned silly Scandinavian people- just look in the team section....
snow report
jmdohanlon, enigmatic, that's me......or is that sylusia? I did actually go through the park this year, admitedly goign round the jumps, but hey...you never know wink
snow conditions
I learnt a bit of Swedish, (used to live with some Swedes at uni and now I work with 3 of them) I could tell what you were saying just wasn't sure why. As for SZK, which one was he I can't remember, whats his real name what does he look like. I hate that I've forgetton everyone already, was I always that drunk?!?! Sadly yes is the answer to that one.

Holiday Lover XX, going through the park is definitely a start, I think jumping is awesome, I've only been twice but can't leave with getting some air, once you start you just cant stop, its brilliant. Give it a go you never know you might be a natural!

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
P.S - I checked out the perfect moment website, looks good let me know when you have some stock on there to look through! wink
latest report
P.P.S - Actually just realised I was looking in the wrong place, sorry, looking good, perhaps I should do some work today though and stop surfin the web......nah!
snow report
I liked the Foils cos of the Monoqcoco core actually - felt lighter and a lot more springy and fun than the heavier wood core stuff. Probably best to test before buying anyway if you can.

(but if you decide you want some 182 foils, mine are for sale Toofy Grin (cos i'm poor!))
ski holidays
bensley, re SZK - the clue is in the name....and some might say perfectly formed wink
ski holidays
I need something shorter than 182 unfortunately, but I'll ask around and let you know if I hear of anything.

What does everyone think of boots designed for the park, or supposedly designed for freestyle "all mountain" skiing. Is there any truth behind the advantages the claim to give like simple no gadget shells that can take a knock or two, and rubber lined soles to absorb some of the shocks and vibration.....

Is it all rubbish and should I just opt for a racey type boot with lots and lots of support at the heel but plenty of room at the front for my toes?

I'm planning on spending lots of money in the next week or two and I'd like to think I'm making an informed decision when I part with my hard earned cash.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, as for SZK I'm sure I must have met him, I'm sorry that I appear to have forgetton, from his screen name I'd imagine he was small and hairy, oh no wait that would be me! ha ha, I'll make sure I say hello next time we all get together, if he took a liking to Jo he must be a smart guy wink anyway I heard the mention of a BBQ or was I imagining that???

I'm planning to head to Milton Keynes this weekend to get boots and demo some ski's, if anyone is about let me know, we could perhaps grab a quick beer in true snowheads style.....
latest report
Ha ha, what a loser but I noticed I was on 49 posts and thought I'd make it a nice round 50! What a milestone.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bensley, congrats snowHead
ski holidays
The only twin tips I can offer is that it's best if they're good looking and adventurous
snow conditions
bensley, RE park boots, Dont bother, just go get some fitted and be honest about your skiing ability and everything, they will make the decision for you.

(and dont whine about the colour like someone else we know... Laughing )
ski holidays
1d

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 9-05-11 22:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
bensley, 174 K2 PEs?
How about a pair from last season with 1 week of skiing on them.
Complete with Rossi Axial Pro bindings.

PM me if you're interested.
snow report
bensley, The most important thing with boots is a proper fit and footbeds. As for 'park boots',
Quote:

I'm looking for all mountain use, typical day skiing - go up as high as possible ski down something steep and fast, then venture off piste to get accross to the park for some air time, all backwards! ha ha, not really but something that can handle a bit of everything.

Park boots will not be able to offer this all round performance as well as a pair of properly fitted standard alpine boots. Many new park boots (apart from being generally softer than most alpine boots) appear to be dropping the number of buckles and adding a load of synthetic fabrics- the lack of buckles will reduce the amount of control you have over the tightness and precision of the boots- something you will need for the fast steep decents, and the new fancy fabrics will increase the chances of us bootfitters being unable to make any necessary adjustments to the shells (and probably laughing at you Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays
Rubbish^
snow report
robboadd, not sure if you realise it, but NAKEDZOOKEEPER is a professional bootfitter, and knows quite a bit about them.
snow conditions
I know a couple of people this season who had park boots (with the usual number of buckles) and sold them because they were too soft to be useful on the rest of the mountain - they both bought bought non-park boots and continued to use them in the park without any complaint. Suspect the park boots are only worth it if that's all you do and you're very good at it.
ski holidays
robboadd, Could you please enlighten us as to what constitutes a "Freestyle" boot, it's merits or weaknesses. The new Jon Olsson Freestyle Mojo Xp, seems to be a "Plug" derived boot. But then as if he knows anything about Freestyle. I also spoke to a certain Simon Dumont in some detail Last September about his boots, needless to sat that it was intresting. Will Salomon simply remove a buckle from the new "Impact" and feed the FISH with a "Freestyle Worm?" as A la Dalbello's 'El Moro'?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
bensley, 174 K2 PEs?
How about a pair from last season with 1 week of skiing on them.
Complete with Rossi Axial Pro bindings.

PM me if you're interested.

Hey mate, tks for the post I've PM'd you as you said, very keen. Cheers, Ben
ski holidays
robboadd, I'm afraid what your trying to tell ben to do, is to buy some boots which he doesn't really want.

Bensley wrote:

NAKEDZOOKEEPER is right, but im sure he knows that already Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy