Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goode Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had any experience of the Goode ski range?
I saw them today, all carbon fibre, incredibly light and torsionally stiff.
My reservations on Carbon fibre, is it's lack of damping and if it takes a knock it has the tendancy to shatter into tiny pieces. a la F1.
Wicked looking skis though.

Anyone?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, I think the F1 knocks are a little bit more than the average skier might experience. Wink

Nearest I've come was skiing the Radicals. Very nice, but their high end one is too much ski for me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, is black the new orange?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, just a thought on the damage as they are so thin. Wondered how they'd stand up to the general knocks?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, They do look seriously cool. Just black carbon fibre weave. Very stealth fighter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had the 185 Vision 96s for 2 runs at the Bird. Much quicker bump response than the Mantras, much less crud busting ability. Couldn't tell you anything about the damping as it was 14" of fresh followed by bottomless mashed potatoes. Meh. I'd rather have a pair of Enforcers.

There's a guy called Sneva also doing CF, I'm tempted to do up a hypercarver setup with some of his park skis.

edit: link added, correction
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, Arno has some graphite skis he will be able to add his own thoughts to this. I can't really understand why you would go down this route unless you wanted an ultra light AT rig... or what Arno has, a massive ski made light by it's materials...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, I only posted because I saw them and no absolutely nothing about them, apart from being Black and very light.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, have a peek at: http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/141/30/

I have to agree, they do look very 'stealth' Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno has these babies I believe. They are extremely light considering their (massive) girth.

http://www.dpsskis.com/page.php?pname=skis/lotus/120
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone use these for touring? Am considering getting a pair of Goodes, because of the weight...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funnily enough, if you do a search for "goode", you will find my thoughts:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24147&highlight=goode

parlor has it about right IMV. pretty pointless for slalom/piste skis unless you're a total weed and don't like carrying them around wink there are reports of goodes breaking, although these date back a bit (and I saw a broken B3 the other day and that probably won't stop hundreds of punters from buying them). the DPSs have a wood core and are therefore a bit stronger structurally, I would think
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave Goode : who in my opinion is a ski-industry bully. I would urge everybody to stay away from any skis made by this man.

He uses the design thought up by Cyrille Boinay and Stephen Drake the creators of DB skis. These chaps came up with the concept of light carbon skis while bumming in Argentinna about 5 or 6 years ago. They designed the DB range of skis and needed a partner to actuallly create the skis so they joined up with Dave Goode (I believe a trainer for the US Olympic team) who had a factory for making water skis. Goode was to make the DB skis in his factory and there was quite a buzz in the ski industry at the time with quite a few advance orders for these lightweight powder skis.

The problems first arose when the finished product was delivered from the Goode factory. The skis were made not according to the specs that Cyrille and Stephen drew up. They were created using inferior materials and had the tendancy to shatter when skied hard. A lot of skis were sent back on warranty issues - delamination of the top sheet and the fact that could break into tiny pieces just when you needed them most.

Goode also started manufacturing and selling carbon skis round about the same time as the 2 boys brought him their design. It seems that Goode was sending out skis under his own names that didn't have the quality issues that the DB skis had. After a good few months of wrangling to and fro about the quality of the DB skis, Cyrille Boinay refused to put his name to tthe inferior quality product and pulled out of the partnership because he didn't want somebody to die because of a sh*t ski that his name was on.

Stephen Drake and Dave Goode remained in partnership for another couple of months with much the same results. Any ski that Goode made for somebody else - Drake in this case - was of inferior quality to the skis that Goode made and sold under his own name. Drake finally called it quits with Goode and created his own company, DP skis.

As far as I can tell, Goode knew that he was onto a good thing with the design that was brought to him. He sussed out the situation and figured that he had more lasting power than these two ski bums he was doing business with. He created shoddy and dangerous products for them knowing that if their business didn't take off from the beginning, they didn't have the financial resources to stay the course and he would be left with an excellant ski that he could put his own name to. This is how the Goode skis came into being.

This is what I can gather from reading the Teton Gravity site and talking to one of the players involved who happens to be a mate of mine. If you want to know more do a search for "Goode fatties" on the teton site (as usual on that site, all the information is in there, but is somewhat coloured by the usual TGR Jong stuff that happens a lot over there)

[edited to get rid of some allegations that may or not be true]

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 5-05-07 19:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, the skis are super-light powder skis. Think of the lines that somebody likek Phil Ingle does. Massive powder fields that you have to walk up to. You want light skis to get up there in the first place, but when you click in, you also need something stiff that's going to perform well. Cyrile Boinay is currently doing some work on a new carbon ski in conjunction with the university in Lausanne. I think that they may be available for testing next winter and if they are as good as he says, these skis could change skiing in the same way as fat skis did when they first appeared. The only problem is the price of a couple of thousand euros Shocked

skibomb, A friend of mine uses them for her everyday skis with a touring setup. She loves them for touring but doesn't ski the crazy big lines and mental hucks so doesn't run into the problem of the skis shattering that I mentioned above. They really are a super light ski for the size of them - I think something about 92 or 93 underfoot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smolo, So what you're saying is that they're good skis made by a guy with no morals? Puzzled Enough reason not to buy them, but just wondered if they were any good or not.
snow report
Spyderman, Exactly. They are a good ski but I would not like to give this man any of my money regardless of how good they are.

Have you checked out any of the DP skis as an alternative ? At least you will know that your money will be going to a skier who loves to ski rather than a business man out to make money. It might not make a big difference to a lot of people, but it would make a big difference to me and I'm sure a lot of other skiers.
ski holidays
smolo, My post original was more one of intrigue than anything else. Although I am in the market for some decent piste skis, I ski Dynastar 8800 off piste. I have been recomended to try Head Supershape's.
ski holidays
Having bought from DPS, I can recommend them. Although I was going the cheap route and buying last year's blems, Stephan was really responsive and helpful - I exchanged several emails with him. The skis were in stock and arrived very quickly. The big problem used to be production, but they do seem to be getting sorted now
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy