Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice on freestlye/off-piste skis...

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any advice on the following skis:

Head Mojo 80
Scott P3
Volkl Karma
Scratch FS WRS

A bit on my skiing:

Currently I spend a lot more time in the powder than the park as I am fairly new to freestyle and still learning/practicing but eager to get better.
Depending on the company I will spend a bit of time on the piste too (as little as possible) but I wouldn't want a ski totally hopeless on piste.

I like big turns in deep powder and am a fairly aggressive skier. I would say my ability level is advanced on-piste, intermediate off-piste, novice-freestyle.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BennyK, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Of that list, I'd say Karma. A few will say P3 (then tell you the P4 or Mission)

Also add the K2 Public Enemy to the list - it's right up there with the Karma.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the Scratch FS WRS and find it handles them all brilliantly, but I havn't tried the others Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BennyK, I own the Karma, the P3 and the Scratch FS WRS.

You don't state your height and weight, but the Scratch is substantially softer than the Karma and P3 (and the Mojo), which may be a major factor in the skiing you'll be doing.

The P3 is a great ski for freestyle and also for on-piste, due to its relatively stiff flex. It's got a short turning radius, so it does really like to carve as well rather than just straightlining.

The Karma feels slightly stiffer than the P3 and likes to charge, although you do need to push it more than the Scratch and the P3 (again, your weight and ability play a role here). It's got a bigger turning radius so is great for straightling and wide turns rather than carving.

For charging big turns off-piste, the Karma would be the best of the above, although it will require more efforts on things like buttering etc.

The Head Mojo and K2 Public Enemy mentioned are 2 viable alternatives for allround twin tips, although I should note that the Public Enemies are on average about 250 grammes per ski heavier than the Karma, P3, Scratch or Mojo, which may also be a factor for a beginning freestyler.

If you also ski in Scotland, I would advise against the Scratch - unlike the P3 and Karma, its grip under icy conditions isn't the best due to its softer tip and tail.

HTH
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As for P4 and Mission, I wouldn't consider them viable alternatives. Mission isn't twin tip, so unlikely candidate for freestyle.

The P4 is a great ski, with the best ski graphics ever (I own it in 181), but is bit wide for great piste performance and heavy (about 23-2400 grammes) compared to similar skis, so again not advisable for starting off at freestyle, depending on the size of your thighs snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BennyK, "The Punisher" is a twin tip Mission if you were heading along that route. I'd take the Volkl Bridge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suspect BennyK is looking at last season's skis at favourable prices rather than next year's skis at premium prices Cool

It's funny how people always start mentioning other skis when asked advise about specific models...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, that is exactly what I was doing skibomb Smile

The list of 4 was supplied by my local ski shop when I gave them my criteria for the skis I was after and my ability.

I will be skiing in Scotland incidentally, my weight is around 80kg and height 6'3".

From the reviews I have been reading the Scratch FS WRS seems to be a well-hyped ski. My local shop don't stock these but are pushing the Head Mojo 80 as light and very versatile.

I already own a pair of Scott Aztecs (All mountain) which sort of puts me off buying the P3.

The Karma sounds like it would have to be pushed quite hard to perform?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BennyK, From all your above stats i'd say the Karma will cope best, given your Advanced OP, i'd still wait for the Bridge however, but then i've skied it! Toofy Grin Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BennyK, We're talking Freeze here aren't we? wink

If you own Aztecs, you already have wideish skis with short turning radius, and I could understand why the P3 would be less appealling (although I love the P3 and use it as my main 'Scottish' ski).

The Scratch is soft, so ice will see the tips flap quite a bit when you push them or when at speed - my P3s and Karmas have felt much more reliable in this respect. Also, if you do jumps etc, you might want the extra stiffness to support your landings. It's very playful though.

Both the Mojo and the Karma are stiffer than the Scratch, and I would say more suitable for allround performance skiing outside the park.

The Karma's extra width might help you off-piste as well.

HTH
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, What are the Characteristics of a "Scottish Ski?"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it's made by 3 witches with eye of newt and toe of dog, wool of bat and tongue of frog.

Oh, sorry, that's the Scottish play.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A Scottish ski has to meet at least the following criteria: it has to have a relatively short turning radius for conditions that often exclude wide arching turns and runs, and has to have excellent grip in what often are icy conditions snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Btw BennyK, in terms of weight, the Mojo 80, Scratch FS WRS, Karma and P3 are all a very similar weight in the equivalent lengths (i.e. about 1750 grammes in the 170s lengths), so don't let marketing hype of the respective brands, like 'weight reduction system', influence you in this sense.

Last time I checked, nevisport had some Scratches on sale - maybe worth a quick peek if you're still considering them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

A Scottish ski has to meet at least the following criteria: it has to have a relatively short turning radius for conditions that often exclude wide arching turns and runs, and has to have excellent grip in what often are icy conditions

And turns well on granite without leaving a scratch on the bases.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

A Scottish ski has to meet at least the following criteria: it has to have a relatively short turning radius for conditions that often exclude wide arching turns and runs, and has to have excellent grip in what often are icy conditions

And turns well on granite without leaving a scratch on the bases.

If you know of a ski that meets those 3 criteria, let me know Very Happy
snow report
>> Currently I spend a lot more time in the powder than the park

Out of interest, (and of topic), how many powder days do you get in Scotland on average? I guess if your lucky enough to be able to get there at the drop of a hat I guess a fair few!!

regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski,
Personally I spend far less time on my home slopes than I should do. This year none at all last year a couple of trips but in all honesty a lot of Scottish snow is wet or windblown when it falls. I have had great days skiing in Scotland but rarely great powder.
ski holidays
Ye, I was talking about when I am skiing abroad.

Skiing in Scotland has been even more limited than usual this year, there are some good days but not a lot of powder.

I am thinking I will go for the Head Mojo 80s, thanks for all the advice guys.
snow report
skibomb wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A Scottish ski has to meet at least the following criteria: it has to have a relatively short turning radius for conditions that often exclude wide arching turns and runs, and has to have excellent grip in what often are icy conditions snowHead

a real scottish ski should have wheels on the bottom to cope with the recent lack of snow rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
skibomb wrote:
BennyK,
The Karma feels slightly stiffer than the P3 and likes to charge, although you do need to push it more than the Scratch and the P3 (again, your weight and ability play a role here). It's got a bigger turning radius so is great for straightling and wide turns rather than carving.
HTH

Do you know what the turn raduis for the Karma is (169) ?

I picked up a pair a few weeks ago and have been very happy with them. I was a bit concerned that 169 was a bit short but they seem fine for most things I'm doing. And they seemed cheap. In all a bit of a revelation after my old 1080's.

Before buying I tried a few random ski's as they came up but the only ones I was tempted to buy were the Salomon Slalom 3V Race. It was a powder day and they were excellent. . . .
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, The turning radius for the Karma in 169 is 18.2 meter officially. And yes, I'd say these would ski quite a bit better than the old 1080s, which were really soft.
snow report
skibomb wrote:
david@mediacopy, The turning radius for the Karma in 169 is 18.2 meter officially. And yes, I'd say these would ski quite a bit better than the old 1080s, which were really soft.

18.2 - that explains at lot ! The 1080's are soft for sure but that made them a very easygoing ski. I do wonder if mine have 'gone off' after a seasons hard use. I'd be very interested to try a new pair for reference.
ski holidays
I wouldn't advice the P3's. I skied with them all season, and they are great in the park, but only good on powder if you're good and its plenty steep, otherwise you might find yourself struggling.
snow report
david@mediacopy, The new Salomon 1080 Foils are meant to be a bit stiffer than the old models.

buckers, Why? Did you find them too narrow?
snow conditions
No I didn;t find them too narrow, they we're fine when it was plenty deep and steep, but where I was there was long fairly flat sections, plus I had them centre mounted which didn't really help.

Got a piar of Volkl Gotama's anyway, they're amazin!
ski holidays
I asked pretty much the same question Benny K, just in the wrong part of the forum. I was contemplating between the Volkl - Karma's, K2 - Public Enemy, Dynastar - Trouble Maker and finally the Rossignol -Scratch FS.

I've heard the Soloman - Foil 1080's are ok but their nickname is the super noodle because they get really floppy when they are wet. Not something that I was looking for really, although I'm not sure why but I'm sure it would be a bad thing.....

Anyway, let me know what you decide, I might go to Milton Keynes this weekend to try some out. If I do I'll let you know what I think.

Ben

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Also, no one seems to talk about the K2 - Seth Vicious ski's why is that? The write up on EllisBrigham.co.uk are awesome for this ski, although they would be wouldn't they!. Ok the paint job is a little weird but if the ski's are good who cares right?!?!

Has anyone got these? or though about trying them out?

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for the Head Mojo 80s in the end with the Look P12 Jib Bindings, just picked them up yesterday, planning to make a trip to Braehead this weekend or next to try them out. The team at my local store (Freeze) all ride them and highly rate them as a very versatile ski. This season's new model has apparently been compromised in design although I would love them just for the graphics (twins) Happy

The Seth Vicious is pretty fat, a friend of mine is considering buying a pair and he spends the vast majority of his time in the backcountry. I think this ski might be more tailored for the powder than park?
ski holidays
BennyK, Yep, the Seth is marketed as a 'backcountry twintip'- at 98mm underfoot its a pretty wide ski. I keep banging on about this but anyone looking at that kind of ski should look at the Nordica Supercharger Enforcer, its 98mm underfoot as well but with a better sidecut so you get a 2m tighter turn radius- plus next years graphics are MUCH better than the Seth, I've got myself a pair sat in the shop right now ready for next season (just awaiting some Marker Dukes to put on them Toofy Grin ).
snow report
How about the K2 Pontoons?

I think you would have to be pretty damn hot to justify puting a pair of these on snowHead
snow conditions
The Mojo80's are a hugely underrated all mountain ski, if you're looking for around 80mm underfoot. *If* it's mounted back from the marked Jon Olsson mounting point....... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy