Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Pointe de la Comberousse

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been sick, on and off, since the start of March. This hasn't stopped me getting some skiing in but it has been pretty hard keeping up with some of the beardies.

Anyway yesterday I was on my own. This meant I could take it easy. Stop now and again and take a look around. I decided to head to the Gleyzin. It is not uncommon to ski back to the car park at 1100 even at the end of April but this year we are about 4 weeks in advance of a normall spring.

First off we had to cross that old Indian semetary with strange supernatural powers. It is said that creatures buried there come back to haunt the living.

The season's over for the unknown skier

The climb goes past the superb Refuge d'Antoine Cros. Antoine formed the Allevard ski club way back in 1923. I'll dig out a photo of the first trips from that date. The refuge is really superb, at least by French standards.

High up and looking back towards Allevard Les Bians.

How green is my valley?

ahead was the Col de la Comberousse and the superb Puy Gris

Puy Gris

The awesome Pointe de la Comberousse hoved into view

Route

and as luck would have it a red track showed the correct route to the summit.

here is another look at the Puy Gris, this time from the summit. We had toured to the col a couple of times this winter both to the cold north side and south side. The Aiguilles d'Arve are visible to the right.

Aiguilles d'Arve

Here is the view back down the face, the Comberousse is a real mountain. Rather than exiting onto a wide summit plateau you have a narrow ridge with drops on all sides. The start of the face is around 50 degrees but this rapidly levels out to 40-45 degrees.

Ooooh

It almost makes me weep to see the lack of snow in mid-April. Conditions are more like the end of May. Here we are looking towards the Savoie and Mont Blanc

le Mont Blanc

The glaciers at les Deux Alpes don't look so bad

la Meije + Girose

More detail here: http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/Pointe-De-La-Comberousse

On the way back down I startled a lady sunbathing on the pastures above the village. "You've been skiing?" she asked looking at the skis on my back?

"Yes"

"but it is off-piste!"

"erm, yes that's the point".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How far down could you ski?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof,

Great pics..as always
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hoppo wrote:
How far down could you ski?

Real snow line is around 1650 meters on shaded slopes (north-west) but I skied down to 1550 via avalanche debris.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy