Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Different manufacturers bindings releasing at different stresses?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK - following on from this thread.. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26005 ... a serious question here based upon the following observation.

On my old B2s I have Rossignol Power 120 bindings set to DIN 6. I have never had a pre-release, and have started to approach a few decent sized jumps with no ill effects. On last years EOSB I demo'd a pair of skis set to the same and they both popped upon landing. Sooooo... are all settings equal? How much variability is there between various models and manufacturers of ski bindings?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In theory a DIN setting of say 6 should release at the same torque on every make & model of binding etc. However different designs react in different ways to the same loads, for example the degree of 'elasticity' on Salomon bindings (ie have far they twist before releasing) varies across the models.

Add in batch manufacturing, tolerances & binding wear plus wear to the boot toe/heel lugs & user error in setting the forward pressure etc & it's easy to see why a bindings set at 6, when properly torque release tested might acutally release at 5 or 7. This is why machines like my Huber are used, not only to test correct function but also to check the actual torque release settings. This is were the Atomic Neox bindings score in that, AFAIK, they are the only ones on the market to have the release scale laser etched as each binding is individually manufactured & tested.

So called pre-releases are usually associated with sudden shock loads so in addition to having a different binding the length/flex of the demo ski will also affect the release points as the energy will be transferred differently.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A DIN figure is a DIN figure is a DIN figure.

The whole point about DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) is that it isn't vague - it's an exacting (worldwide) standard, so that no matter what brand of binding you buy - a DIN 5 is a DIN 5 across the board.

The appropriate DIN standard that we are discussing is:

DIN 7881-5 - Winter sports equipment; release bindings for alpine downhill skiing; adjustment scale for release values (also ISO 8061:2004)

SO:

A Type 1 Skier, weighing 76kg, 5'8" in height, with a boot sole length of 305mm will have a DIN release figure for his toe and heel piece of 5.5. This will equate to a nominal release force of 50Nm at the toe (twist) and 194Nm at the heel (forward lean).

However:

There is something else to take into consideration: The individual features of each binding manufacturer.

The torque figures in Nm are given for a twist in the horizontal plane for the toe piece, and a forward lean "up" release for the heel piece.

Different manufacturers have different features, eg; Tyrolia and the diagonal heel release, Salomon and the spheric release, Marker and the upward toe release - so there will be some differences in release strategies, but on the whole, for the two "standard" figures (twist/toe. forward lean/heel) - this will always match the DIN for ANY binding for ANY manufacturer.

Other factors to take into consideration are skier, technique, terrain, shock loading, stiffness of skis etc., all of which will have an influence on if/when you release.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16865

I'm almost hesitant to type this, but certain makes of bindings are known for their elasticity, or lack of.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm... a lot of salient points to consider. I know that I tend to ski with a more delicate touch, and at 5'10" and 75kg or under I am pretty light on my feet. I think that until I begin to suffer from pre-release I'll keep my current bindings set at the existing low level. If I can drop from over 10 feet, crash (albeit into very soft snow) and still keep the skis on then they are obviously working. I'd rather have the safety factor as I learn new stuff and experiment. Once I get the hang of the plank playing then I will crank them up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always test which ever new binding I'm on. I can twist out of most set-ups upto about 9..some models just over 8. I do this with all new binding/boot set-ups.

It sets my mind a rest so I am not hung up on this or that binding, its at what level I come out of it, that concerns me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy