Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Lockers in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Zermatt early May bank hol weekend for the final outing of the season.

For reasons of budget we are staying in Tasch at the Best Western Alpen hotel which as been recommended on here in the past. Price is very reasonable at about £23 pppn B&B.

Does anyone know if there are lockers up in Zermatt where we can leave skis/boot overnight? Also if anyone knows the best way of getting from the main train station to the lift to the glacier pls let me know. Is it a walk/taxi/shuttle bus?

Can we buy a combined ski pass and train ticket?

Hope there's still some snow up there by then Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Roger C, I'm ALMOST certain there are some at the station at the end of the line from Täsch.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman, thanks for the words of hope!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C,

There are what i suppose you'd call 'lockable racks' for skis in the building housing the Klein Matterhorn gondola (the one you take to reach the glacier). I havent seen any proper lockers where you can leave the boots however there is a ski service shop (very good, incidentally) in the same building who may have some lockers, worth asking them.

From the train station you either take a bus (inadequate but shud be OK for this time of the year) or a taxi. The bus is free, the electric taxi (taking 5-6 pasengers) is abt 3 Frank each, IIRC.

Good luck! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turns'n'turns thanks for that, 3 francs each sounds ok, how long is the journey and any idea how freqently the buses operate?

thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C, they're about every 10/15 mins or so (or were at New Year). It's 5-10 mins. There are also electric taxis (known in this country as milk floats). The cabbies are happy for groups to double up to share the fare - they take about 8 people - the fare is 12 CHF, ISTR.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roger C, We usually ski in Zermatt at the end of the summer and leave our skis and boots in the lockers at the middle station on the way up to the glacier. I can't remember if you had to pay or not - you put your coin in to lock - just can't remember if I got it back or not!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowandtrek thanks, didnt want to lug them back down to Tasch if we didnt have to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roger C, although I've skied the Zermatt glacier umpteen times over 40+ years I've never left hardware up the mountain, but I'm almost certain you can deposit everything at 2800m.

I think there are boot lockers and lockable ski racks in the base station of the Klein Matterhorn cablecar (in other words at Trockener Steg, which is a very large building with lots of facilities). To double-check this, why not email the tourist office or lift company? Alternatively, you'll certainly be able to deposit it all with the ski shop at the bottom of the lift system.

The main thing in Zermatt is not to walk in ski boots. Stick them in a largish back pack and walk across town in trainers - you don't need the ski bus if you're happy with a 20 minute walk from the railway station. It's a really nice interesting walk, and you see far more than on the bus which takes a different route. From the station you head up the main street to the church, turn left, down to the river and then turn right along the far river bank. Have a look at the town map and all will be clear.

Another really interesting idea (I did it on my last trip) is to rent a mountain bike. You could potentially strap the skis to the bike for the first trip, take it all on the train to get up to the Matterhorn base station. Once you've left the gear up there overnight, you'd have a brilliant ride down to Tasch (this is the road the locals use to access Zermatt, and used for deliveries).

There are limitless biking possibilities, which are huge fun. Particularly taking the bike up to Furi and then cycling up to the dam, and across it to Zmutt, which is a superb spot that skiers never visit.

Have a great time!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, thanks for the great advice, certainly hope we'll be able to do some biking whilst there as well as the sking on the glacier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roger C, You can leave skis and boots in the lockers at either of the mid-stations on the Klein Matterhorn gondela. There's a small charge of about £1 per day (but what's that, half a gluwein?). I remember leaving my stuff there and getting into trouble when I lost the key - cost me £20, and I then found the key in my pocket when I got home to England!!

I'd second what David Goldsmith says. Walk across town in trainers, leave your boots/skis up there, and it beats messing about with ski-busses (which may not run outside of winter season) or the expensive electric taxis.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy