Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior race skis for dry slope

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is 9 years old and is a good all round skier. I am looking to buy some skis for her to use in dry slope race competitions this summer. I am considering Atomic Race 9 skis. Does anybody have any experience of these with their children? Any other suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RICHARD B, welcome to snowHeads! Can't help with your question, but I think there are a few dryslope racers who might be able to offer some advice. Failing that, speak to Terry at Ski Bartletts in Hillingdon who provide a lot of skis for the junior racers in the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RICHARD B, PM kevinrhead (he will be really happy to help) - both his daughters are fantastic skiers & seriously fast. The only skis I know, used by junior racers in norwich are the elan skis - where are you based?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - I live near Bury in Lancashire. Our nearest dry slope is Ski Rossendale.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RICHARD B, My kids are younger than yours, and are learning to ski in the junior club in norwich. there are several top junior racers there & they seem to ski either on elans/atomics/salomon - they all buy reduced cost skis which is essential as they seem to go through a few pairs.

We have a shop called Snowfit who supply all the equipment (01603 716655) and are extremely knowledgeable & helpful. I asked where you were based because there are many parents in norwich who are familiar with every aspect of junior racing & one of the GB junior coaches skis there too - also the race dept. sells safety equipment at discounted prices (helmets, shin guards etc.,) - but you are a long way away! We will go on Sat. - shall I make enquiries about skis?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RICHARD B, Try contacting Ventura or Ski Racing Supplies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RICHARD B, from one newcomer to another, welcome to Snowheads. My 9 year old skis at Hemel (dendex) and did last year's summer league on Atomic SL9's. Light and flexible, they seemed ideal. I think the Race 9 is this year's equivalent and should be fine. He has now moved on to SL11's (this year they are SL12) which are a bit stiffer. Most of the Hemel kids are on the same skis (put your name on them at races to save the inevitable mix ups!).
Because he is light, they do not seem to suffer much from base burn, provided they are waxed about every three hours of use. Overall a very good ski IMO.
If in doubt, Bartlett's is a mine of information (I realise it is too far away to visit) and will happily advise on the phone and post stuff to you.
Having said all of that, in the early stages I think the choice of ski is relatively unimportant other than giving a level of perceived confidence. It's all about fun and technique; both of which the summer races help with enormously. Enjoy, our first one is this Sunday (ERSA)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RICHARD B, Apart from the fact my children are older, and therefore racing for longer I would have written exactly the same as Nick W, The SL9's were certainly light and I'm sure the Race 9 would be a good choice. ( You might be able to get hold of some of last years SL9's cheaper Very Happy )
It's good to see Rossendale back on the circuit now that it has been re- homologated for competitions. Never been there before (only to Pendle)but the children will be racing there this year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all for your advice. I've gone ahead and bought the Atomic Race 9's. My daughter will find out how they are Saturday. Good luck to all the young racers!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy