Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head skis - which Monster?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With the season over (for me at least), I'm starting to think about skis for next season. My current strategy with skis is to buy last year's stock at discount, use them for a season (4 weeks), sell them on for a small loss and then buy a new pair.

So this year I ended up with a pair of Head iM72s, which are great. So for next year I'm sticking with Head, but thinking of going a bit wider because I'm not getting any lighter! So that means iM77 or iM82. I'm not interested in the wider iM88s as a 1 ski quiver. Too much of a barge for what I need.

Any comments on these? I'm leaning more toward the iM77 at the moment as a 1 ski quiver, but the iM82 is mighty tempting. I'm just concerned it might be too much like hard work for general tooling about on (being a race bred construction etc). Not really interested in switching brands, because I know Head skis work for me and I won't be able to take a meaningful demo.

Skier profile: 90 kg, 6'1", fairly advanced, lots of experience. Like to mix on/off piste and ski slow/fast depending on mood and who I'm with.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IM82.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, Race bred construction, which marketing WORM have chewing on?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which Monster?

A uktrailmonster!!

Yeah, I think 82 would be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
uktrailmonster, Race bred construction, which marketing WORM have chewing on?

ok laminate then. Anyway, different in character to the iM72 or 77 which are both cap. Several reviews I've read mention this fundamental difference in construction, giving the 82 a more lively and demanding character. As they share the same construction, I would expect the 72 and 77 to feel very similar, so I was mainly wondering how different the 82 feels.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
iM82.

For 07/08 there is also a iM78, sandwich construction.

You can be as gentle as you want on the iM82, but if you bother to build the energy in the ski, it will reward.

I just spent all day on the iM82's today, went everywhere, steeps, bumps, trees, brilliant ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Yet again we argree, however, i was having a beer with our ski tech last nite, he mentioned De-lamination problems on the IM82. First time i've heard about it, but he don't say it if it aint true!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, at 90kg sounds like the iM82 would suit but where're you going to get'em cheap? Worth a look at Fischer AMC76 and 79 on ebay.de? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, I really like the sound of that new iM78, that could well be my ski for 08/09

If I can find a good deal on a pair of iM82s I think I'll give them a shot.

slikedges, I've seen a few good deals on them here and there. Definitely easier to get the iM77 cheaper though.

So what about length? I'm currently on 177s which seem pretty good, but I see the iM82 comes in either 172 or 183. My only worry with the 183 is skiing in tight trees, which I do quite often.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tried the Movement Spark which is about 82mm IIRCC. Stonking ski all round and rails hardpack so 82mm needn't be unwieldy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-04-07 7:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I bought the iM82s in the end as a do-it-all ski for next season Smile Found a great deal across the pond.

Thanks for the advice, I hope they don't fall apart on me Shocked

Now I just have to wait until December to try them Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, my skis are getting fatter by the minute! The year after I may be over the ton Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, my skis are getting fatter by the minute! The year after I may be over the ton Twisted Evil

Mine are getting shorter, I've lost 15cms in 5 years!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, mine were too, but they're creeping back up again now!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy