Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video of going off the back of Valluga in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
These guys are going off the back of Valluga, you must have a guide to do this off-piste run so I could only watch, although I don't like heights anyway! The snow was pretty much frozen but grippy. It doesn't look incredibly steep as these skiers don't look amazing so I feel I could manage it. snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/l-kIxcjWpbI
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree they look pretty awfull,You dont cross tracks for a start & you dont ski together either.Unless the guide has allready decended and is waiting out of picture.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From memory - it's some time since I last skied it - the first pitch of about 100m after you pop out of the tiny cablecar - is seriously steep. Then it mellows out. The video therefore doesn't capture the real challenge.

Get a local guide/instructor to advise - they won't take anyone up there who is likely to fall on that initial slope.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, I think I'd fall out of fear rather than an ability issue!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied this in Feb.

The first bit is very steep and very dangerous. If you are slow and careful there should be no problem as it is quite wide. Do not be a smart ass and ski this bit fast as there is so little point as all the fun is later in the untracked powder fields to Zurs.

There are two main danger points during the first 100 metres or so, if you are skiing to fast and fall it is possible to slip off the edge which will mean certain death (from the 200 m fall)

The guide that took us Mr Harold Wolf from the ski school of Arlberg was fantastic and took us on a couple of test runs within the resort prior to taking us up to the top.

If when you are in Arlberg, it snows and you are comfortable(not amazing) in any conditions then do this route as it is memorable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
By the way it is not that you can't fall on the top bit as you in all probability could and would be fine, it is that you would be at risk if you fell at speed. The first steep descent though literally is over in about 3 long turns. Also it is only 1 side of the slope where the danger is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I'd have to some dry runs on safe slopes before I tried this as even standing on the lookout platform scared me! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter we went up on the first day and looked over the platform, turned to each other and said .... fuxk that! But on the last day after 20cm of snow the guide kinda took us up there and led us off the side. It was very scary becuase the danger is obvious, you ski past a narrow rocket chute and 50 m down this shoot there is a edge with a 200m drop.

As you ski past this point the instructor tells you not to look down the chute ... at this point you arch your head look straight down into the abyss ..... soil your pants .... gulp and ski quickly past it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum, I'm sure it gets easier the more times you do it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Ross, I doubt it, 'tis one of those parts of a slope where you always have to take care however many times you ski it. Seriously though I can see no point of skiing out of control during the first 100 metres especially as it is not so steep that it is potentially safer to ski fast more to the fall line than not.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FYI

A guide is not necessary if you hike from the exit of Top Station Valluga 1 to Top of Valluga 2. You should allow yourselves plenty of time for this steep ascent & being fit helps to Very Happy

I would echo what other pople have said her., The top section of the North Face is steep. It can be lethal early in the season. The video doesn't do it justice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy