Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

They are the BEST! (At Vitello Tonnato)

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I am only sampling from French, Italian, Swiss, US (east coast and in the middle), Canada and Scotland so maybe the Austrians, Bulgarians, etc. are worse, but after a week in Champoluc over Easter I am firmly of the opinion that the Italians are the worst when it comes to on-piste discipline.

I spent quite a lot of time skiing slowly with my very young neices, who are doing nicely thank you after a mere 4 weeks on snow, and it quite opened my eyes to how erratic the skiers around us were. Thankfully it wasn't terribly busy. But dearry me the Milanese were all over the place.

I had one particular moment where I nearly (EDIT: not very nearly, really quite a lot far away from nearly, in fact, it nearly wasn't an incident at all. In fact of fact, it wasn't actually any sort of incident) hit someone as I anticipated the rhythm of their skiing, went to avoid them (giving plenty of space) and they planted/crossed over/anticipated to turn left (as I expected) then they managed to swing wildly right. I have no idea how they accomplished it, but it was nearly (EDIT: to be completely honest, nowhere near) all ending in tears.

EDIT: I only mention it as I like to think I have a reasonably high situational awareness and try to be very sensitive to other's skiing. Ergo, my "nearly" would be someone elses "nothing happened".

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-04-07 13:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Before we upset the Italians we may need to establish the following

(a) Are all the culprits Italians? There are many international skiers visiting Aosta Valley too. I found more English speaking skiers in Cervinia than other nationals a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly Champoluc is not as popular as Cervinia which has a couple of links to the Swiss Zermatt but it is just next door to the Breuil Cervinia/Valtournenche Valley.

(b) Is it resort-specific? Don't find this phenomanon myself in Courmayeur, La Thuile and Cervinia which are all in the same Aosta region.

I have to agree that Scandinavian, Austrian, Swiss and the German skiers appear to be more disciplined overall. I can't single out the Italians are at the bottom of the league. I suspect if we ask the European skiers who is the worst we may very well ending up egg at our face, as many of us do not ski often enough to know or familar with the rules.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, I think I will side with you on this one, as we have had rather a lot of Italians in Serre Che at weekends this winter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hee hee - saikee, everyone skiing should be familiar with the rules...and I would suggest that the Brits are generally quite, well, predictable when they ski.

(a) - they were all wearing nasty fluorescent tight race pants, so not only were they all Italians, they were all Milanese. Maybe it's just the Milanese? Champoluc had several British school parties and I assure you it wasn't them being the problem. Although one overweight, moustachio-ed teacher really needs to learn something about motivating un-co-ordinated kids.

(b) I have seen it in Courmayeur - and Cervinia.

It's definitely the 'Tallies. No question in my mind...

(Before anyone suggests that I'm being naughty singling out one geographic population, She Who Must Be Obeyed is half-Italian and agrees with me. As did the instructor who was giving my neices private lessons. And as for what she thought of Italian children?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DM,

I sympathise, I got taken out by a French woman in LP recently and I haven't a clue how she contrived to hit me..... I'd passed her and she still blamed me. She said I was going too fast when that is exactly the opposite of what I was doing, being totally aware of a mass of ants skiing all over the place. I was concentrating on nice tight turns on the very edge of the piste so they could have all the room....!!!!!!!!!!

Its curtailed my trips for sure as I took a bit blow to the shoulder. I hope your nieces weren't too fazed by it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, my cousin is married to an Italian, and they have three sons. We had my parents Ruby wedding party in our garden,and they managed to destroy Julian's newly constructed waterfall in 10 minutes flat. !!! rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, Skiing in Sestriere last week, came over a blind crest on a red run, found Italian ski instructor with his class of 10 english adults, stationary in a line across the middle of the piste. Had to stop to give him polite advice on the error of his ways, as I had a group skiing with me, some of which may not have been able to stop as quickly as I did. I received abuse in return, saying what did I know about it anyway. At which time I showed him my BASI badge. His English group moved out of harms way by themselves.

I personally think that it is the Russians, who leave all others standing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman,
Quote:

I personally think that it is the Russians, who leave all others standing.
I agree. The Russians I have seen in the Alps recently have made me ashamed of my (100%) Russian blood. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've no proof or experience, but I have also heard folks complain about the Dutch Puzzled I don't know what the observations are based on though
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, they are definitley second on my list. I once had to share a ski class with a bunch of out-of-control Dutch skiers. They were all at different levels,and determined to ski together. Myself and a French girl in the same class complained, and they were made to hire a private instructor for the remainder of these lessons.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, I totally agree with you about the Italians (I shouldn't be saying anything of this as my partner is Italian). Anyway, I was in La Thuile over Easter and a few things;

1. They seem to stand in a group just at the "off ramp" of the chairlift so that everybody bumps into them and 2) they do stand in the middle of the piste.

When I was in Selva at the end of February, there was a group of italians all standing at a very short space leaving very little room for people to manoevure through.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
...they were all wearing nasty fluorescent tight race pants, ...

I can see a bit of envy creeping in here too Laughing wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro,

Sharp eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

This one is the WURST - or have I got the wrong end of the stick Puzzled
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas,

Whichever way I look at it you certainly have got a lot of meat in your write-up.

May have a problem to prove it is Italian because salami somehow looks different to me.
snow conditions
Toad in the jackson hole.
snow report
Albert De Savaloy strikes again?
snow report
Nice to see xenophobia alive and well in snowHeads.

The first posting, by David, is essentially a very honest (but misguided) hand-wringing account of a near-miss. And the Italians are arguably the greatest contributors to culture and understanding of any European nation.

Yes, the skier below can be highly erratic, for any number of reasons. The skier above is always responsible for avoidance, unless the skier below took off from stationary without looking up and skied into the path of the descending skier.

We have an elderly Italian couple living near us. They ran a little hardware shop up the road until it got too much for them. A more charming, warm, friendly, vivacious and entertaining pair of people would be hard to find.
snow report
David Goldsmith, I don't think anyone is being xenophobic. Skiing is an international sport, and we were simply making a comment on our experiences this season. It was not a comment on the personality of the people involved, simply an observation of their on-piste behaviour. It is probably more a comment on their skiing habits which tend to be different to ours. They visit for the weekend or the day for example, so want to pack as much skiing as possible into that gap between breakfast and the long lunch!!
Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes, aren't they strange people! And they grow spaghetti on trees!
latest report
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

It was not a comment on the personality of the people involved, simply an observation of their on-piste behaviour

Indeed. I think we are all - well mostly - commenting on observed behaviour, rather than national characteristics. (For a start, I like to think that I am not ill-behaved just because I am of Russian origin!) I remember, as a child, comments being made about the Belgians' inability to drive: fair enough, they didn't have a driving test in Belgium until the 1960s or so! So it was an entirely justified criticism of a whole nation's habits. There are all kinds of reasons, and indeed some justification, for the poor manners of some Russians today, but I haven't the time to go into them just now.
ski holidays
You xenophobic lot...

Isn't it down to education, skills and awareness of risk, and not nationality? You could argue that the Belgians before driving tests were introduced were unaware of risk and poorly skilled. The Italians, Portuguese and Greeks have a rather risk unaware driving style judging by accident rates, and this probably translates to the pistes.

The Russians are new to skiing in Europe so are probably less aware of the rules of the piste, and I have never driven in Russia but imagine that risk awarenss (politics excepted) might not be as good as in some other Norther European cultures?
ski holidays
Hurtle, you dont own chelsea do you..?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:

Yes, the skier below can be highly erratic, for any number of reasons. The skier above is always responsible for avoidance, unless the skier below took off from stationary without looking up and skied into the path of the descending skier.

..and yet this exact situation happens so many times with our continental (and no doubt UK) brethren that there might as well not be an FIS code of conduct.
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

you dont own chelsea do you

Er, no Skullie
snow report
Martin Nicholas,
But you're making exactly the same generalisations about nationalities that everyone else is!
snow report
Russians, Italians, Drunken English yobs?

Listen to yourselves! Let's bang all nationals together and generalise like crazy. Hey let's go further all women are bad drivers, the Irish are thick, Germans start wars and all English football supporters are thugs that should be banned from ever travelling. Grrrrrrrr......... You know if someone had dropped colour in there you'd have all been down on them like a ton of bricks, so why is this any different. Answer it's not.

If you want to lay the blame anywhere try either ski schools, poor awareness due to no signage on the pistes of rules, or people tackling slopes they aren't capable of.

National stereotyping is a terribly dangerous thing, and builds hideous prejudice.

Got that of my chest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Martin Nicholas,
But you're making exactly the same generalisations about nationalities that everyone else is!

Hurtle, I thought I was extrapolating European road accident statistics into risk awareness on the piste, which in itself might be misguided but not xenophobic. It was more a point about individual perceptions of risk based on cultural norms, and then an educational approach to spreading the FIS 10 commandments.
snow report
fatirishman, Yes, you're right, and I wish I'd never contributed to this thread, as I hate generalisations of any sort. I stand corrected, rebuked, humbled, shamed etc etc Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed However, all I said was a) that the behaviour of some Russians (well, quite a lot actually) in the Alps this year made me ashamed to be Russian, and I stand by that; and b) that Belgians used not to be able to drive very well, on account of not having a driving test. Xenophobic??? But, as it happens, I still wish I hadn't made any comment at all. Martin Nicholas, your reference to 'cultural norms' is still a generalisation. Over and out, I think, discretion being the better part of valour. (Valour??)
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

It was not a comment on the personality of the people involved, simply an observation of their on-piste behaviour

Indeed. I think we are all - well mostly - commenting on observed behaviour, rather than national characteristics. (For a start, I like to think that I am not ill-behaved just because I am of Russian origin!) I remember, as a child, comments being made about the Belgians' inability to drive: fair enough, they didn't have a driving test in Belgium until the 1960s or so! So it was an entirely justified criticism of a whole nation's habits. There are all kinds of reasons, and indeed some justification, for the poor manners of some Russians today, but I haven't the time to go into them just now.

Having recently been on the atuoroute in France with lots of Belgians driving like lunatics, I may agree with that one, but you can obviously tell the country that the car came from, unlike the people on the slope, unless they are talking in a language you understand. Often what is percieved by one nation to be bad manners would not be in their home country.
I don't think Dave Murdoch intended this to be xenophobic, I suspect it was said more 'tongue-in-cheek' .
snow report
I was coming down the Valentin (black run) in LDA (yes Easiski I know….never again!!), keeping myself to myself, being careful and there she came, totally out of control on blades, hit me full on from behind. The collision was that bad, she snapped the bottom of my new pole clean off and took me straight out. As they say the bigger you are, the harder you fall (6’ 3” & 16 stone!!). When I recovered from the shock, the verbal abuse (in italian) she gave me was unbelievable!! Then she just bladed off without an apology, even went over my skis!! rolling eyes rolling eyes I don't think it was that she was Italian, I just think she was terrified of the slope and she had a bit of a fright Laughing

Some of the English are bad, I just keep my mouth shut in the lift queue, goggles and hat on…in disguise….no one can tell where I’m from, they just amaze me what they say….You should try it!! Very Happy Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

Germans start wars

Be fair, they do have previous convictions for that one. Laughing

Quote:

totally out of control on blades

Have you ever seen anyone on blades who looked remotely in control?
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Germans start wars

Be fair, they do have previous convictions for that one. Laughing

..and the Brits and Septics don't Wink ?

"Coat please...." Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
Have you ever seen anyone on blades who looked remotely in control?

Lizzard, yes: me. And my daughters.

However, it is well known that Nicaraguans cannot handle blades (except when placing steel blades between others' shoulder blades).
snow report
Lizzard, laundryman, Have used blades in the past, that was until I saw myself on video and decided I looked too much like an monkey (it's the stance and something to do with not having sticks to hold I think!) and I now call them 'Ape Blades'!!

Quite amusing watching the bladers, whilst sitting on the Bellecombes chairlift (LDA), coming (err...falling head over heels Twisted Evil Laughing ) down the Grand Couloir!! Laughing No idea what nationality they were....and don't really care....but really funny Laughing
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Yes, aren't they strange people! And they grow spaghetti on trees!

I remember that particular news item Laughing
snow report
Scarpa, you're not old enough Shirley? And wasn't it Panorama?
latest report
fatirishman, Oh come on. Have you ever driven around an Italian city? They're completely mental. Totally different attitude toward driving in general. I'd be surprised if it didn't translate just a tiny bit onto the piste. It certainly applies to their lift queue technique Wink
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, yet I believe they have fewer deaths per motorist mile than the French. I like driving in Italy, but the French really scare me, espescially those with 75 plates (from Paris).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy