Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My middle toe - arggghhhhhhh

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I came back a week ago from skiing for second time this season my middle toe on my left foot only has caused me agony. It is difficult to explain the toe seems to have both cramp and be dead at the same time..it feels like its cramping when I'm skiing and it feels numb when I take the boot off?? It is just the one toe..

I have a pair of Salomon X wave boots, I had insoles made at S&R this year (I know but there you go) and the boots liners heated - the boots themselves are 3 years old...but it is my first year with them..generally they seem to fit fine?? but obviously they don't..

There doesn't seem to be any pressure points, tightness, or excessive looseness. I did take the foot bed out in the end and that was better for the toe but less support elsewhere but imy toe still hurt.... one week later it still feels different, kind of deadish (it looks ok though)..

1 question

1. Anyone else ever have this problem and have cured it? What was it?

I will be getting either my current or some new boots (properly) fitted this year seems a pity to throw these away when one foot is sooooo comfortable and they are very serviceable. I do get the same thing with hired ice skates....but it goes away after an hour..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested in this thread as I seem to have done the same thing - I got back end of jan and two of mine still aren't quite right....

No suggestions though - I keep meaning to go to the doctor and forgetting!

aj x
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cfc5mu0, I had a metatarsal injury this year - it was my 2nd & middle toe. It was diagnosed firstly as a strain, then as a result of slapped cheek virus (which mimics rheumatoid arthritis) - but my genius physio said that my foot was buckling slightly (in my new salomon x wave boots Shocked ) & I needed a strategically placed pad under the joint of the toe (the joint in the actual foot, not the toe) Although the foot was slightly bruised, the pain went immediately . You can get metatarsal pads too. pain sounded similar - incredibly irritating. hope this has been helpful - good luck with your toe!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cfc5mu0, sounds like a nerve is being impinged somewhere, most commonly affected for your second toe is the deep peroneal nerve, even very slight pressure in the wrong place over your instep could cause the problem......increasing the support in the region directly behind the ball of the foot using a metatarsal pad as rpft has will distibute the load over more of the foot and help to equalize the presure from clipping the boot.
get yourself to a good bootfitter and have the footbed either modified or re made and you problem SHOULD be resolved

usual caveat applys...... i haven't seen your feet so i am offfering a best guess
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cfc5mu0, I got this the first time I went ice climbing, CEM's diagnosis would seem to fit, I'll leave any cure up to the experts: certainly not me. In my case despite not having any feeling for 2/3 months it came back eventually and hasn't been a problem since.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cfc5mu0, I meant to say, def. get it checked out by a pro, as I did. The reason for my problems was an abnormality in the length of the bit where the toe meets the joint - so she made up a pad specifically for this. As CEM said, a proper foot person would hopefully sort it out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cfc5mu0, how does the shape across the front of your toes compare with the shape of the toe-box on the X-Wave? I realised after a couple of uncomfortable years that the X-Wave shape is no good for me and my toes, and have now found a boot that is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank for the info...

rpft Slapped Cheek Syndrome?? What a brilliant name for an illness..I'm sure you have sufferd all the jokes.

Pete the x wave front fits my rather ridiculously shaped toes fairly well but I shall avail myself of a competent boot fitter who may say otherwise. .what boots do you use?

CEM I used to take the P out of my dad for him claiming he couldn’t do something because of a high in-step…perhaps this is coming back to haunt me as my feet look just like his..I shall call to arrange an appointment when I can work out a free weekend.

More worrying for me is this . It’s a short paragraph on Ski boot compression syndrome.

The popularity of skiing is currently booming. It is estimated that there are as many as 15 million skiers in Japan. However, the increased popularity of skiing creates orthopedic problems. Pressure on the foot created by ill-fitting boots is a very common problem. A recent complication is boot compression anteriorly at the ankle causing neuritis of the deep peroneal nerve and tenosynovitis of the extensor tendon. Compression on the extensor tendons and nerves between the boot tongue and bone result in synovitis and neuritis. Three patients suffering a compression syndrome were treated conservatively and one with a tarsal tunnel syndrome caused by ski boot pressure eventually required surgery. The syndrome, its causes, and treatment are described.

But perhaps it’s all becoming clearer

I took out the footbed which lowered my foot thus relieving the constant pressure on my instep which stopped my toe hurting so much...but allowed my foot to wobble about in the boot and caused heel lift.

But at least it’s not just me. I was worrying about being a bit of a moaning pansy…when you have pain but no discernable source of the pain it’s hard to explain it to anyone…didn’t stop me skiing all day so maybe I am a moaning pansy//
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cfc5mu0, Tecnica Diablo boots now - bit squarer across front of toe-box which fits my shape better. But I don't have a particularly high instep and the XWaves never gave too much pressure across top of foot. A mate of mine had to have surgery last year to deal with neuritis and he's never worn a ski boot. I think his problem was down to football boots!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cfc5mu0, slapped cheek is a childrens virus - comes around once every 4 years & is also called human parvovirus. If you get it as an adult you get painful joints & incredible tiredness for approx 40 days - so is pretty horrible. the kids had a red lacy rash for about the same - plus red cheeks!!

You are def not a moaning pansy - foot pain is awful. hope you sort it out!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy