Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I mad?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all snowHead

After a slightly dissappointing trip to Andorra this year I couldn't wait to get something else booked and in my haste have booked a trip for family and friends to les arcs 1800 next feb....

The reason I am asking if I am mad is because my partner is expecting at the beginning of September and leaving the baby at home isn't going to be an option! This means our next ski trip is likely to be with a 5 month year old!

I have looked at the threads on babies and skiing on here but there seems to be much debate about whether it's a good idea or not...

Can anyone offer me their thoughts, experiences?

Have I gone slightly mad?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smudger, I don't think you'll be able to get small enough skis rolling eyes

seriously though, I don't have kids so have no idea whether its a good idea or not - but good luck that anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smudger,
Don't worry about it it is fine, as long as you other half knows she won't get any skiing. Word of warning though, after skiing all day don't return to family expecting to have bath and go out straight away on the Apres, best to give it half an hour listening to Mum's day... Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smudger, if you will be wanting to use a local creche, best book early.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

you other half knows she won't get any skiing

Er excuse me ........... don't babies have TWO parents?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard,
Strike!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martski, Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Probably best to leave the wife at home & take another mate with you then Toofy Grin

Runs & hides.......................... NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smudger, We took our 4.5 month old on a skiing holiday to Canada and martski I did plenty of skiing thank you very much. Twisted Evil Laughing I have been reading a lot lately about taking babies to high altitude resorts but this didn't affect us as Whistler is under 700 metres.

We hired a babysitter from a local company who came to our accommodation from about 8.30 - 9am until about 3.30pm on most days although we did take some days off. We found it was really easy to take our daughter to Whistler because it was well setup for families with the childcare, the accommodation (we had a condo with fully equipped kitchen and a washer/dryer - very useful!!) and the equipment that we were able to hire (3 wheel jogger, cot, highchair, toys and steriliser - you could probably do without some of this but we found it very useful)

So no, you've not gone mad. There are plenty of parents who take their little ones along so go for it. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee, smudger, tee hee
regularly travel with our young uns, with skiing we just do half a day each rather than put them in care, works well, spend time alone with them and get half a days skiing. This year did that and went for a weekend alone with wife, priceless. Now have new ambition, one week with family, one weekend with wife and one weekend with the gents....roll on 2008
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smudger, no worries with taking little one - our youngest was 3-months when she first went on a ski trip. At 1800 you will probably be ok with baby and altitude. Don't forget there is a chance baby will still be waking in night so you will also be tired! If you have a creche or babysitter, I can't see why your mrs can't ski - my wife did without problems.

Have a look on the Les Arcs website for creche and nannies - we've used the creche in Vallandry and were very happy with it.

What are you staying in - many chalet companies will provide high chairs, cots and everything else to save dragging them down. Would suggest you take some "known" baby-food i.e. something they eat, not that there is anything wrong with French stuff but babies can be picky.

Is this your 1st? Comments above are right in that your apres ski will be limited and will revolve around little one - the first few times we went we had catered chalets and generally got kids to bed and then had an adult meal and a few drinks.

It really isn't a problem IMHO - we went with twins aged 1 and the following year the twins aged 2 and 3 month old - it takes a bit more planning and help from friends/family/creche means you get a break but is great fun. FWIW our kids are now 6 and 4 and ski better than me!

Have fun snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the main creche in Arc 1800 has a minimum age of 12 months. I'll double-check that with my sister who has used it a couple of times for her daughter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sure I read of someone offering a nanny service out there this winter, http://www.lesfarfadets.com/GB/index.htm , but not sure if anyone else does.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not mad at all. Just be prepared for the sprog to be handed back if it gets too squitty or otherwise ill. Count every day you both ski as a bonus rather than an expectation.

The Creche at Lake Louise will take babies from 18 days old, and let you come in between runs to breastfeed them. That is hardcore skiing motherhood!

Go - Have fun...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe I'm not mad after all!

Thanks for all the advice...

Boris, it is our first, hence my complete lack of knowledge about this type of thing!

As long as I get a couple of days in I will be a happy bunny so lets just hope my baby takes after his father and likes the altitude Very Happy
ski holidays
smudger, I would say research the childcare facilities using recommendations from snowheads. We went to a resort with toddler & baby - the toddler skied but the highly recommended (not from here) babycare facility was horrendous - bored, chain smoking teenagers looking after the kids & the 'room' was a hole - so on our first holiday we skied half day each - which was fine. I won't name the resort as it has ditched the above & has an entirely new set-up.
latest report
smudger, well congratulations Cool

At 5-months you'll be over the worst of it and beginning to get settled nights - you'll have fun.

As a dad of 3 - the top three tips I would give are

1. Routine
2. Routine
3. Routine

Follow this advice and it will make being away easier, providing you stick to the same................

................wait for it

Routine Laughing

I'm sure all parents here will back me up
snow report
smudger, apologies if the above sounded a bit negative - didn't mean it to - we did enjoy the holiday!!
snow report
smudger, I don't know if this is of use as I haven't taken a young baby to a skiing resort, but I did drive my first one to Switzerland at about 5-6 months. Absolutely no problems - slept most of the way. As it was our first time driving we did an overnight stop, but now we know what we're doing and knock out the trip in about 10-12 hours we don't bother and I think even if I still had a small baby I'd now drive straight through - N.B. but we do drive overnight
snow conditions
Can only agree with most of the advice on here - wife and I are both keen skiers and we didn't want to miss a season. Took first baby skiing to Soldeu at 6 weeks, then returned there a year later taking a new 8-week old too. We went as part of a large group, so simply took it in turns to ski a morning or an afternoon, just skiing together during the lunch break when the grand parents were willing to take over for a couple of hours. I think someone might have already mentioned routine ? If you can keep that going you won't have too much of a problem !
ski holidays
SmegHead69, welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
SmegHead69,
Quote:

someone might have already mentioned routine ?

Might have done wink

Welcome to snowHead
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I'm sure I read of someone offering a nanny service out there this winter, http://www.lesfarfadets.com/GB/index.htm , but not sure if anyone else does.

Thanks for that link Helen, I'll forward it to my sister for next season's childcare.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I actually came across it while helping another snowHead looking for a similar service in Serre Che, so I have no personal experience of using it.
latest report
Quote:

we just do half a day each rather than put them in care, works well, spend time alone with them and get half a days skiing.

sounds good. 5 months is extremely easy, especially if baby is breastfed (which means, at that age, no faffing with cans, bottles, sterilisers, anything) though it does mean mother can only get away for a few hours at a time. 10 months old is far harder - mind of its own, takes one look at highly paid and highly qualified baby sitter and has hysterics and clings pathetically round mother's neck.

Best bet - grandparents. I had a grandmother along for one of our early ski trips, worked very well. I am now a ski grandmother and great-aunt. Baby sitting, snowballs, toboggans, taking kids up those pesky rope tows, trying to ski backwards holding kid's skis in snowplough position..... you name it. You just need to make sure that there are several people sharing the child care so nobody feels left out.

Find a resort where your accommodation is close to the skiing. And please don't take the baby out on the slopes in those lethal backpacks, just waiting for some mad idiot to mow you both down. Have a great holiday (and, more important, a great baby....)
snow conditions
Thankyou eveyone!

snowHead

Good to see a lot of positivity and not the usual look of bewilderment at the idea?!?

I'm just glad to hear that other people have done similiar things and have enjoyed it...

Fingers crossed both baby and trip will be great!
latest report
smudger, what a positive bunch we are tonight snowHead .
snow conditions
Smudger

Agree with Boris about routine but would also add

4Plan
5Plan
6Plan

Have a plan worked out for when you travel ie changing on planes buses etc, a plan for disrupted meals ie one partner gets to eat in peace with friends, accept that there will be some situations you cant control. Gilbert junior screamed an aircraft down twice for an hour whilst we were delayed on the ground but as soon as it taxied he was asleep in seconds.(I swear I heard the world longest synchronised aaaahhhhhhh as it happened). We fly regularly and the cabin crew are always great with the kids. Also agree about the food, its not that what you will get will be bad its just that Junior will know what they like. Take enough with you for the week and more.

If you are flying then juniors ears will be affected, my wife was advised to breast fead on take off and if possible landing and we never had any probs.

Have travelled with our two since they were 4 months old and went skiing when our youngest was 15 months. We used to take day on day off skiiing with friends and on one day our wonderfull friend babysat so my wife and I had a morning together.

Accept that your holiday has to fit arround junior so no wild apres or dawn to dusk skiing but dont accept you cant have a good holiday because you are now parents.

Your partener will have just gone through a major event with childbirth and her body will still be readjusting. She will get tired a lot quicker than you so just be as suportive as you can. If the resort has a Spa or something suggest a day off for a massage/pampering

Last thing may be a bit obvious but take your mobiles with you. I know a lot of folk get uptight about them going off in gondelas etc well stuff them your need is bigger than theirs. Now ours are in ski school we never ski without them.

Hope you have a great time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just returned from Morzine with Mrs DrE, our 4½ month old baby and 2 Grandparents. Baby kept to his usual routine, Grandparents did most of babysitting, but brought baby up the mountain on several occasions.

Grandparents really enjoyed looking after the baby, we enjoyed the skiing, all-round success.

A few lessons:

1. Don't change the baby's routine.
2. Babies get tired quickly, especially if faced with a lot of attention / activity
3. Don't change the baby's routine for more than 1 day in a row (ie if the baby has his daytime nap in the pram / pushchair on one day, make sure he's in bed for the next day's nap)
4. Small wheeled pushchairs don't work well on soft snow
5. Listen and watch your baby's signals about whether he needs an early night, and adapt your plans accordingly.
6. Factor 8,000,000 for the baby.
7. Choose a resort with things to do other than skiing.
8. Give the babysitters some time off!

Good luck!

DrE
snow report
Quote:

takes one look at highly paid and highly qualified baby sitter and has hysterics and clings pathetically round mother's neck.

Yep had that as well - I think all you can do is be cruel (to be kind) and leave! We did and of course 30 seconds after we left (peeped through window) they were playing happily
snow report
smudger, Congratulations!

You're not mad at all, we went (with grandparents) when our son was 3 months old and have been each year since (at 15mths and again just a couple of weeks ago at 2 1/4) In a lot of respects it was easier when he was little than it is now!

I'd agree with what doctor_eeyore, said but amend as follows:

4. NO pushchair works well on snow! - take a baby sling/back carrier (for walking only, not for skiing) and/or hire a sledge, some sorts you could make almost into a pram with blankets - we saw one in Morzine a couple of weeks ago, they have a big handle that flips up and you push not pull.

Good luck and have fun!
latest report
smudger, yes you are ...
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, until you came along I was getting away with it!!!

Looks like I will have to get used to a ROUTINE then...I can live with that!
ski holidays
smudger, just remember - insanity is hereditry, you get it from your children.
latest report
We've been quite a few times now with kids. First time with the kids we had a 2yo and a 5 monther, and it wasn't too bad. We just sort of went with the flow, got a nice creche sorted out beforehand, didn't try to rush out in the mornings, just generally had a relaxing time and got some skiing in. You'll be fine. Have fun.
ski holidays
Hello all!

Just a quick update on this....our baby arrived on the 19th September and is fit and healthy!

Les Arcs awaits in Feb and I am really excited...

My only fear is that 1800 may be too high for the wee one.

Has anyone stayed at this altitude (or higher) with a 5 month old (or younger)? I have seen it suggested that prior to 1 years old we should not go higher than 1200m! I really hope this isn't the case Puzzled
latest report
smudger, congratulations.
snow report
smudger I've found a couple of links for you by Googling for 'babies altitude' and it comes up with these that suggest there shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/travel/highaltitudeholidays/

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/childrenshealth/203002.html

Oh yes, and congratulations!! Very Happy
snow conditions
smudger, congratulations. You might want to have a look at the link below:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/travel/highaltitudeholidays/

Not sure how authoritative the source is but it does seem to suggest that it's only really high resorts (Colorado etc) that are likely to present a problem.
ski holidays
geetee, beat me to it!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy