Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier dies from head-tree impact in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
abc, interesting argument. But it assumes that normalising per year is the proper way of doing it. What about normalising per hour or per mile? Of course there is evidence on the effectiveness of hip-protectors in the frail elderly reducing fractures (body armour really!).

I would choose the risk per hour exposure as the correct method of comparison, and I suspect that skiing in the trees/avalanche territory is a higher risk to my brain per hour than walking or driving - especially now we have ABS, Airbags, Crumple zones etc etc.

It remains a personal choice however.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uktrailmonster wrote:
veeeight, I very much doubt any air bags are speed activated. They all use accelerometers as far as I'm aware.

That's what I said. I never said that deployment is speed activated. But I added that the speed figure itself is used as one of the many factors in the algorithm for dual-stage deployment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
abc wrote:
Perhaps I should start advocating all skiers should put on their ski helmet the moment they get out of bed? wink

Why not wear them in bed? There must be someone who's knocked himself out on the headboard. Laughing

I always take my helmet to bed. Very rarely do I have a sore head in the morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

But it assumes that normalising per year is the proper way of doing it. What about normalising per hour or per mile?

No, I didn't assume it's the "proper" way of normalizing it. It's ONE WAY to normalizing it and it reflects the overall chance of banging one's head.

It has certain drawbacks, one of which being the frequency of skiing vs walking may differ amoung population. For example, an someone living in Jacksonville Wyoming probably don't walk much at all (just drive from door to door) and ski 2 days a week for a good 6 month out of a year. While a Londoner may walk a fair amount and only ski 6 days a year. Though it could potentially lead to interesting conclusion such as a Jacksonvill resident should wear a helmet skiing while a Londoner should wear a helmet in town. wink

Quote:

I would choose the risk per hour exposure as the correct method of comparison,

This is what I wrote earlier:

Quote:

Per skier per unit time, skiing could quite possibly be more dangerous than walking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has anyone looked at this thread? It's notable that a helmet has now been purchased. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26222#603850
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here I sit at my desk, reading this with my bike helmet within reach and the thought stricks me - it is an undeniable fact that I would be safer and better protected wearing that helmet right now........... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy