Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

08 - 2 trips, 3 venues - advice anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
We are starting to think about trips for 2008, and have 2 separate weeks available. We can go on 15th January and 15th March. Our currently shortlisted resorts are return trip to Cervinia (were there 16th-23rd December this season), another visit to Ischgl (we were there in February, but due to injuries, and some bad weather were not able to do everything), and we would also like to ski the Sella Ronda, possibly staying at Corvara. A main concern is that if we go back to Cervinia it needs to be when stuff such as the link to Valtournanche is likely to be open, as we skied all the higher stuff this year - does this mean it would need to be the March trip? Also when is best for Corvara? Would it be OK in January?

I realise that no-one can know what next season will be like, but as we are quite new to skiing we aren't really sure what to expect in different places at different times!

Alternatively, any recomendations of other good venues - party of mainly intermediates - some stick to Reds and others like Blacks as well, but we do want lots of miles of pistes - from what we have done I would think at least 150km upwards, also we go independently, and eat and drink out each night, and generally prefer Austria or Italy.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully recieved!

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobinS, where have you been to before?

I'd say go somewhere new.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS, What's your reason for picking Corvara over the other resorts on the Sellaronda? Arraba or Selva might suit your party better based on ability. If its cold enough to make snow then the circuit will be open (wind permitting) as there are excellent snow making facilities and the work done by the pisteurs in maintaining the pistes in very warm weather this season was fantastic (all open no holes or stones despite temperatures up to 16C). So I would imagine from this it would be fine in January.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amongst the party some of us have been to Livigno, Ischgl, Cervinia, and PDS (staying at Torgon, but skiing across Chatel, Morgins, Le Croset etc) - but we haven't all been to all of them and have the reasons stated for considering return visits to Cervinia or Ischgl. We skied everything in Livigno, and everything open in Cervinia before Christmas. We fancy the Dolomites, as we been climbing there in the summer, and it is a fantastic place!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobinS wrote:
We fancy the Dolomites, as we been climbing there in the summer, and it is a fantastic place!

That was what made me go this year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS, the Jan week is lowest of the low season. Why not leave it until the lasty minute.
15th of March is potentially the 1st week of SOME UK school Easter holidays so could well be far busier and more expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, Only based on a few bits I have read - we are open to suggestions as to where might be best. My main concern with the Dolomites is snow - as it not as high as many places.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about France - Val Thorens for example, or Switzerland - e.g. Wengen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Val Thorens looks good skiing wise - any idea of apartment rental costs and meals and drinks there? Would the railway only access to Wengen be a problem as we will be driving there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apart from going clockwise and anticlockwise in the Sella Ronda a sizeable loop can be done with Saalbach to Hiterglemm Valley.

Was there one Christmas and snow was perfect. Can't remember the distance but I think it is in the 20+km range.

You can also ski Zell am See/Kaprun within the same week. Kaprun is on the glacier and so a good insurance in any year with poor snow.

Elsewhere it can be a stretch to go from one end of the 3 Vallees to another.

It took us a day to go from the front end of Valmorel to the rear end and come back.

Milky Way is a circuit that one week may be inadequate to explore.

I find going from one end of Serre Chevalier to the other extreme and back is a day's work for me but that is equally true for 4 Vallees (rebranded Verbier), LAlpe d'Huez etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS, we went to Ischgl this season from 10th March to 17th. Snow wise it was fine. We had 6 days of clear skies and fairly warm weather but the runs were all open. The only runs which suffered were those back to the resort below mid station.

Saalbach would also be worth looking into if you liked Ischgl - the apres ski is pretty good too!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS, if you're driving, then you could park in Lauterbrunnen (or even stay there) and get the train up to Wengen or Murren.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Saalbach.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobinS,as Frosty the Snowman, said 15th March is the 1st week of Easter (i.e. has Good Friday in it) but the UK School don't break up until the 20th/21st so you should be OK for this week. The Easter break then spans 4 weeks! There are only 2 weeks in March next year when there won't be European kids on holiday in March and you have picked 1 of them! The French go back on the 10th March so those going on the 8th should be OK for uncrowded resorts!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, if you're driving you could base yourself in a valley town (cheaper accommodation) and drive to several different resorts in a week, getting to sample what a number of different places have to offer. For example, you could stay in Bourg St Maurice which means you are are less than an hour to Tignes, Val d'Isere, St Foy, La Rosiere (and from there ski to La Thuile), Les Arcs, La Plagne, Pralognan and all of the Trois Vallees.
ski holidays
Quote:

08 - 2 trips, 3 venues - advice anyone?

Shouldnt be the correct Snowhead answer be ... just do 3 trips
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy