Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In resort, what to test?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'm in Les Arcs until Saturday. I was here last year too. Last year I was on a pair of Rossignol Zenith Z9s and I really liked them and found them really really easy to ski, which seems to correspond to other reviews I've read. This year, the hire shop gave me a pair of volkl ac3s unlimited which I've been on for a couple of days. My initial impressions are that they're probably too much ski for me right now - this is my 5th season and also my 5th week. I'm finding myself going too fast on the ac3s and they also seem to have less grip than the Z9s, but that could just be the servicing.

The other issue is that the ski-hire shops here seem to have few skis left as it's inevitably rather busy at easter. This, I think has lead to them giving me skis too long - I'm 6'2" and I reckon these ac3s are about 6' which I'm not used to.

So, my question is, what does the mass wisdom of snow heads reckon I should try? I'm 6'2" and 75kg.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matthew, B3's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm 6'2" and I reckon these ac3s are about 6' which I'm not used to.

Definitely sound too long especially as you are quite light for your height.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been skiing on slalom skis and having huge amounts of fun in this soft snow (as well as good grip for the icy conditions first thing). You could try something like that which is a dedicated piste ski with a short turn radius (I've been on Rossignol 9S at 165cm).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
I've been skiing on slalom skis and having huge amounts of fun in this soft snow (as well as good grip for the icy conditions first thing). You could try something like that which is a dedicated piste ski with a short turn radius (I've been on Rossignol 9S at 165cm).

One of my mates that I skied with loved these skis in similar conditions. Just as wella s he'd bought them
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Head Monster iM72s would be worth a try. Quite forgiving with pretty decent performance in most conditions. Definitely a more relaxing ride than Volkl AC3s and much better in bumps and soft snow. Excellent value for money too. At your height, weight and ability I'd look at length around 170-175 cm. Anything longer than that will just be a liability.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, yes, I certainly agree on the length - pretty much all the skis I've hired previously have been 175.
rob@rar, I tried asking for some slalom skis. The racks of skis were really quite bare so I ended up with some Salomon X-Wing 400s in 175cm which I'm enjoying a lot - they seem to have much more spring and energy coming out of turns - almost to the point of throwing me a couple of times. But a much more fun ski and I'm certainly not endlessly fighting to keep the speed down.

Many thanks for all your advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy