Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski bags

Poster: A snowHead
i'm fed up with carting 3 bags around the airports.. one for skis, one for boots & one for everything else. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced bag to hold everything, bearing in mind some airlines have a (not always strictly enforced) restriction on length. My skis are 162 btw..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
riverwhy, I can't answer your question but I've considered doing this for my board, given that all my normal ski luggage comes to under 20kg I was considering trying to find a case that could take my board along its longest axis, hpowever, I think the airlines would have something to say about that, especially if it's stopping them getting £30/ return trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riverwhy, I can help you half-way. I've got a Snow and Rock Delux Weekend Wheelie . This excllent bag will take your boots, your booze, your sound system, and all the clothes you could want.
As for skis - surely it is high time the useless ski manufacturers made skis you could fold up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got a similar sized bag to the S & R, with wheels, though not as posh (17 quid from TK Maxx) which I have used for several seasons. No separate boot section so I have to put them in plastic carrier bags within the bag. Boots + bag + girly stuff usually weighs about 15 kilos. Wouldn't have thought the restriction on length would have been as much of a problem as the weight restriction, which the airlines are using to claw back a bit more profit - most are starting to have an absolute weight limit per bag, so you can't put allowances together - e.g. 10 kg for skis and 15 for main bag can't be combined.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I put my boots and "everything else" in one small suitcase! wink

The ski got their own bag. It could hold two pairs. But when I'm bringing only one pair, I stuff it with ski pants, gloves, hats, and extra clothes. That leaves relatively little of "everything else" that shares the boot case, which incidentally, got wheels.

I haven't traveled with helmet so far. But if I do, I think I'll simply put them on my head. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, actually a helmet hardly takes up any room and is excellent protection for goggles and specs.
I put goggles and specs in the bottom and then pile socks in on to top, so really no space wasted at all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim wrote:
abc, actually a helmet hardly takes up any room and is excellent protection for goggles and specs.
I put goggles and specs in the bottom and then pile socks in on to top, so really no space wasted at all.

It's not "space wasted", it's additional space required.

Because I put some of my ski gear in the ski bag, my boot case is rather small. There's room for the pair of boots, socks inside, and not much more room. Adding helmet would neccecitate a bigger suitcase. Doable but not preferred.

Granted, I'm coming from a colder climate. So my heavy jacket, hat, and one pair of gloves is already on my body. So my luggage is usually smaller than those of you coming from warmer climate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't bother with a boot bag, just pack boots in with my clothes. Skis go in a sportube, helmet and goggles go in hand baggage. Having everything in a single bag is asking for trouble at the check-in desk in my experience. Just throw your bags on a trolley at the airport and wheel it over to check-in. No big deal really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

As for skis - surely it is high time the useless ski manufacturers made skis you could fold up

Jonpim,

It's funny because before reading all through this thread I was thinking about all the threads I'd read re: luggage problems due to size etc.and was thinking I wonder why some enterprising person doesn't make collapsable/folding skis? When you think about it with all the length of the binding to lock two halves back together and the fact that any overlap could go 'with the direction' of the skis I wonder why it hasn't been done. Similarly I would think that a snow board could concertina with a locking mechansim snapped into place once it was shaken out - anyone for Dragon's Den?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's been done. davidof has a nice summary on his page:
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Approach-Skis

The Climb link should point to: http://www.climb.co.at/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, Ah...I see....yes, that's the sort of thing I had in mind - not everyone's cup of tea I guess, but obviously a workable solution for folks that need one
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, as with folding bikes, the main drawback is that they're a massive compromise on performance.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster, the bike situation is not quite so desperate any longer: http://www.sandsmachine.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, not a bad effort I must admit. They're playing down the weight penalty though. 2 stainless steel couplings added to a lightweight ally or carbon frame would be a significant percentage weight increase. Perhaps more importantly, they look very expensive!! Folding skis without serious loss of performance would be much more difficult due to the required flex properties and mating of edges etc. I just can't see it ever happening.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster, if it can't it must! Smile
snow conditions
On ski bags is their a maximum weight for Ryanair as Aer Lingus seem to have it set at 15 kilos, I am not sure is this enough to cover two sets of skis. Has anyone had problems at checkin with two or more pairs of skis in one bag and this excess fee also cover ski boots, Ryanair's website is not very clear from what I have read?
ski holidays
Peter Ross, I think they will get you on the weight. A friend of mine and his family flew Ryanair skiing this winter, he got hit with £140 excess on the way out and €250 on the way back. That was on top of paying extra for ski carriage - he would have been cheaper flying BA.

The £15.50 (€22.50) Ryanair charge is per item of sports equipment each way, so if your boots are separate you will need to pay for them and the skis.

snowHead
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

I have found one a real pain to pack. Whilst it can be stuffed with various goodies, it is an awkward, quite bulky shape to accommodate. Because the helmet construction seems flimsy (I wonder how much help they really are - they seem pathetic compared to air force aircrew helmets, and motor-cycling helmets), I make sure there is a layer of clothing around the helmet in all directions as a sort of protective packaging.

I have become rather disillusioned with my Scott helmet. Can't find goggles that fit comfortably with it, awkward to pack, dubious protection in the event of an accident.
ski holidays
Sage, that was nasty for your friend Sad
snow report
achilles,
Quote:

I make sure there is a layer of clothing around the helmet in all directions as a sort of protective packaging.

I do that as well and it has worked OK until my last trip, when the BA T4 Heathrow baggage handlers got hold of it. It looked like my bag had been jumped on and my helmet was full of dents Sad

snowHead
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
comprex, not a bad effort I must admit. They're playing down the weight penalty though. 2 stainless steel couplings added to a lightweight ally or carbon frame would be a significant percentage weight increase. Perhaps more importantly, they look very expensive!!

Have seen many of those kind of bikes.

Weight: 1 (or 1 1/2) lb addition to a 16(?) lb bike is not a big penalty in my view. (mind you, a 16 pound bike is super light weight bike, whatever the material) There're titanium couples that would cut the weight down further.

Expense: About £250? (it's around $500 in the states). Depending how muching you get charged extra each leg of the flights and how often you fly, you may find it cheaper in the long run.

Most owner of S&S coupling bikes I know order the coupling when they have the frame build. The cost of adding the coupling is usually lower since it's not a retrofit. (they don't have to cut the tube and refinish and re-paint it again).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy