Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A season that promised little and delivered lots?

Poster: A snowHead
Four trips for us this season.

Last week in November in Tignes - on a course with Skivolution - a foot of fresh powder during the week. Hard work.
Christmas week in Obertauern - great pistes and some fresh powder. Great apres ski.
Last week in January in St Anton - first time there - very impressed - spent a day on Rendl in fresh powder, the day the American survived his 250m avalanche journey in the main resort.
Easter weekend in Val d'Isere, followed by Val Thorens. Empty pistes in Val d on Good Friday and Easter Saturday. A few inches of fresh powder in Val T on Easter Sunday and good pistes on the Monday.

Some fresh snow for each trip and while not a classic year, less damage done to skis than some other years and many kms covered in good company. Increased snow making in many resorts has been their saviour.

Roll on next November. In the meantime back to the Alps in July on the road bike for some uphills for a change.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere in January/February was sufficient snow, but often icy.
Laax in early March was fresh snow but becoming sticky/slushy later in the day.
Les Arcs in late March was bliss - fresh snow, cold temperatures, just glorious.

I'm just thrilled that for the first time ever I have been able to do several trips in a season, and experience different conditions while the memory of previous conditions is still fresh in my head.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:

here is the data for Les Deux Alpes as requested.

interesting

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, thanks, an interesting result.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And thanks to JOnpim too, for his fiddling around with the graphs!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, my trip to Alpendorf/Wagrain/Zauchensee in mid-February was fine. As mentioned before, the lower pistes were pretty thin - if not for snow cannons, the pistes would've best served grazing cattle. But above 1,300 meters, things were lovely: perfect spring skiing.

We had similarly oddball conditions here in the eastern United States. For example, I had some of the best powder skiing I've ever had in New England over Easter weekend: light, fluffy snow, great coverage, etc. And to have it at the beginning of April is unprecedented - and they've received more snow since. Even at my childhood hills out in Utah, they're sporting less snow than most New England resorts can currently claim.

It's odd. I posted this data over on EpicSki on April 10 (all snow totals in inches):

Quote:
Here's the most telling data: look at the season snow totals compared to Utah.

As of today (April 10, 2007):

Vermont:
Jay Peak: 372"
Stowe: 331"
Sugarbush: 274"
Killington: 240"

(Note that I looked for data from Maine, which was tough to find. Most New Hampshire resorts are reporting season snow totals in the 120" to 160" range. Whiteface Mountain, NY, is reporting 224" for the season.)

Utah:
Alta: 365"
Snowbird: 321"
The Canyons: 256"
Powder Mountain: 255"
Park City Mountain Resort: 248"
Brian Head: 227"

To add more fuel to the fire: even Colorado resorts were giving Utah a run for the money this year (not typical, save for Wolf Creek, which is usually in the same league as Solitude or Brighton in terms of snowfall totals).

Colorado:
Wolf Creek: 392"
Loveland: 338"
Steamboat: 332"
Vail: 323"
Winter Park: 294"
Breckenridge: 248"

And since that post, most of the New England resorts have received 12-20" more snow.

So while the season over here started slowly (I rode my bicycle in New England over Christmas because the skiing was virtually non-existent), it's ended with a bang.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes and no.

As far as my own skiing goes, I ski as many days as I normally do in a season. So it's not a bad season in that regard. In fact, this is an EPIC season since I got to ski REAL powder (the light and fluffy kind) for DAYS!

Amount of snow fall is on or a bit above average in many places. But the high temperature in the Alps melt a lot of them quickly, especially for lower elevations. So, the overall open skiiable milage might probably be less. I don't know. Would be interesting to plot the daily base depth (bottom and top of mountain) against historic data (if such data exist).

In the US, coverage is pretty good from Valentine's day on. Most resorts are fully open with good coverage all trails. But the snow from the storms of April mostly dump wet and heavy snow that turned into slush in the high (but seasonal) temperature. Because the season starts late, a lot of skiers are taking advantage of the abundent snow in NE to squeez in one more weekend. Overall, I think it turned out to be a season that's not too bad.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not too bad - highlights included 16 inches of fresh on Xmas Day (PNW US) and what much have been the storm of the winter in the Oisans. In between some truly disappointing conditions in Switzerland mid Jan (& my only dropped days skiing, 2 days out of a 3 day trip). The Spring corn season seemed to last a long time this year for me too so that was pretty fun.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 21-04-07 12:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had good conditions in Arabba mid-February, surprisingly bare on south facing slopes and maybe a little warmer then I'd have expected (although I've not been to the area before). Val Thorens last week probably had better conditions than we'd previously had second week of Easter, but then it was a little earlier than previous years.

Mum was in Kitzbuhel before half term and it sounded pretty grim. If we'd have done Westendorf in early January, as we have in the past, I suspect we'd have had a poor week.

I was thinking of asking this question myself, my overall impression is that most people have had good skiing holidays with the exception of those going to lower resorts early in the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
davidof, thanks, an interesting result.

I think the les Deux Alpes graph sums things up generally, a "season" that started towards the end of Jan and started tailing off around the middle part of April. In short about 2 months shorter than normal. This, of course, is real snowfall on the ground and not manmade snow depths on pistes. Many lower resorts had difficulty operating and certainly were a long way below full capacity and even high altitude resorts have suffered this year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be interested to hear what the Zookeepers, David Murdoch and Philip Stanton have to say about their seasons.

Personally-

Zell Am See in mid-December was (unsurprisingly) virtually closed. Kaprun was okay conditions, very crowded

Morzine early January - virtually closed. Skied Avoriasz, which was okay and very crowded

Schladming early February. Didnt stop snowing and uncrowded.

Obergurgl early April. Freeze thaw and uncrowded.

All in all, mixed conditions but I dont regret any of them because I had a great time, every time. I guess not every day is going to be a hero snow day but that presumably makes one a better all round skier.

Hey.....it could have been a whole lot worse.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what the Zookeepers

opened shop, hung around all day talking to people who didn't buy any gear, closed shop and went home to eat a pot-noodle on the sofa and post to snowheads Laughing

repeat for rest of season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dunno about a crap season i thought it was brilliant

We had easter conditions over christmas with great snow, was nice and warm instead
of last year when it was -10 - -15 everyday in Val Thorens.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, Worst winter in 7 years. I could try and see some good in it, but last winter was so good on every level. Awsome snow from the start, right through, great for business(our best on record), girlfriend, skiing like a god. There are alot of flowery fellows just trying to be contrary, but the season is finished, the snow was late, business slow. End of. I'm sure the Large one will be along shortly to throw is positive spin on things. 12 days skiing and 700pairs of ski boots ain't my idea of a good winter.

davidof, Too close for comfort. However the Noodles were Super Noodles from the Chinese store in Bonneville. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Same story for a lot of retailers judging by the skis on the rack still by Easter weekend. Fact is real significant snowfall came late to Europe then a vey narrow window of mid winter conditions before spring warmth I think. It was mid April conditions when I stopped by your shop at the end of January in terms of snow cover and temperature. It was the same story in a lot of the Western US judging by a lot of people in Tahoe who were out riding mountain bikes and getting the golf clubs out by Mid March
snow report
fatbob, I have three guides stood in front of me, "Catastrophique!" is what has been said. They've just finished doing some stuff on the Midi and are grateful to have squeezed another day out of the season. There is still snow, but IT IS NOT GREAT, but then some people get a kick out of skiing indoors or on plastic!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
fatbob, I have three guides stood in front of me, "Catastrophique!" is what has been said. They've just finished doing some stuff on the Midi and are grateful to have squeezed another day out of the season.

If only we could have our memories of last season replaced like in Total Recall eh? Oh and our bank balances "corrected".

Strange year when the resort season is longer than the touring season. I guess that's what covering the mountain with snow making gets you. I hear that people enjoy skiing artificial snow as well.

Anyway I'm off to heat up a pot knoodle.
latest report
davidof, can you buy pot noodle in France or do you import them especially. On second thoughts they'll probably be in the English section of the local hypermarche alongside the £1.40 Heinz baked beans, they can stay there as for all I care.
ski holidays
opening week in Mottaret we had 30cms and although limited piste opening the conditions were great
christmas week was average
Feb half term was very good
last two weeks of March in Courchevel was fantastic, 5 days of continuous moderate snow with good visibility and then blazing sun.
easter was busy but great snow up high in mount vallon.

once of the best years i can remember overall snowHead snowHead
snow report
Only had one ski holiday this season, 2 weeks in January in Les Saisies and couldn't have had more extreme weather, first week, poor snow, persistently warm weather and at times torrential rain. We escaped to Val Thorens one day and at 2300m in mid Jan it struggled to stay at 0degrees and it snowed finally. Second week, 40 odd cm of fresh snow, -14 degrees and some sun. Thankfully we chose 2 wks otherwise it'd have been awful.

Not been on here or looking at webcams for a while and took a look this evening...jeez where did the snow go so quick? Seems the end has arrived very quickly and temps are sky high no doubt the alps have been a casualty of the great UK weather we've had.

Right, lets fast fwd summer, slow down for Nov when sprong #2 arrives snowHead then fast fwd to march 08 when we can get out there to enjoy it all again!

Cheers
David
snow conditions
patchy but had fun. If i had easy money could have followed the snow in Feb/Mar but the hot and cold spells really played havoc. This really was a year for Canada in Nov-Jan/Feb followed by USA in Feb, Mar and April maybe with a bit of europe thrown in around early Mar.

Early season europe was APPALLING my friend went to Avoriaz and when he returned he said it made him cry and that he was going to cancel his 2 week trip to canada in feb. It took all of 35 seconds on teh phone to convince him to still go to canada!
snow report
Well, an interesting season at least.

First lift served skiing in Europe this year was actually in England Shocked both the Lake District and Yad Moss tows ran before virtually any of the European non galcier resorts, back in November. Unfortunately there was very little snow subsequently and while there is always 'hope' Laughing until mid May, I probably have to admit that the English season is now over ! In total there were only 8 days or so at Raise and 3 or 4 at Yad Moss. Probably the worst season since 1998 ?

Scotland has had some good snow particualy late on and high up with the back corries open at Nevis range but overall it has been disappointing.

Back in the Alps in December Val D'isere was better than last year with much more terrain open, proably because of less wind blow on the higher slopes.

Early March in Chamonix saw as much snow as I've ever seen there above 1800m, but with very little low down. The weather was mixed for our long weekend with heavy rain on the Saturday, glorious sunshine on the Sunday and heavy snow on the Monday.

St Anton in late March was great though the lower runs were suffering by the end of the week. We had some superb skiing in Lech and Stuben and there was lots of powder available to tour into.

Val D'isere last week was simply awesome (see report).

April skiing is fanatastic so why does everyone give up at Easter ?
snow report
Peter S wrote:

April skiing is fanatastic so why does everyone give up at Easter ?

Because most ski resorts look like this , this April. Yes, L2A, Tignes and a handful of resorts with runs at 3000m were skiable most resorts are between 1500 and 2500m.
snow report
4 trips this year. Les Deux Alpes in January, March and April and St Sorlin D'Arves in February. Whilst the graph above shows LDA had below average snow in January in actual fact it was fine above 2200m. In March I arrived just after a big dump at the start of the week and had a good weekend and Easter was slushy later on but fine otherwise. St Sorlin was similar to the previous year with sufficient snow but nothing outstanding. I enjoyed all 4 trips very much and like others am now plotting 2008's Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Because most ski resorts look like this , this April. Yes, L2A, Tignes and a handful of resorts with runs at 3000m were skiable most resorts are between 1500 and 2500m.

I would say that below about 1800m there hasn't been much snow this year, but above it there is still loads. I only reached 3000m once in Tignes, most of my skiing was between that and 2000m. Anything remotely north facing was well loaded.

April and even May are far more reliable months for good skiing in the Alps than December or January. The big storms have arrived by now and the snow has been transformed from vulnerable new snow into consolidated, robust spring snow.

To answer my own question I suspect the main reason for the lack of interest is nothing to do with the percived lack of snow but rather lack of interest in skiing once Spring begins. This would seem to be confirmed by the number of who have asked is there still snow left ? just check these pics out taken last week in Tignes by Waynos http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21739&start=440
snow report
Peter S wrote:

perceived lack of snow

perceived?
Look at the webcam from 19th April at Isola (the resort village is at 2000m) and compare to 18th April 2004.

I've skied at least every second weekend of the winter for the past 3 years here and this year is by far the poorest year of the three.

I will agree that interest in skiing does disappear once April arrives. The locals have packed their skies away for another year by then. I keep going until the snow is gone.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

I would say that below about 1800m there hasn't been much snow this year, but above it there is still loads. I only reached 3000m once in Tignes, most of my skiing was between that and 2000m. Anything remotely north facing was well loaded.

April and even May are far more reliable months for good skiing in the Alps than December or January. The big storms have arrived by now and the snow has been transformed from vulnerable new snow into consolidated, robust spring snow.

Normally yes, but this year is the exception. The April average temperature is +3C above average with only a few mm of precipitation (rather than the 100mm or so we are used to). Conditions are similar to June. This on top of a Jan and Feb +3C above average. We've now had a year of very warm weather, I wonder if we have gone through some kind of tipping point?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, "tipping point" - you mean we're about to head catastrophically towards a mini-ice age? I.e. we have reached the peak? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Back on topic. I think the season was exactly as I said it would be in November, December and January. Not great in many places, terrible in some, acceptable in many and excellent in a few.

You can all feel free to buy me celebratory beer next time I set out my forecasting shingle.

It wasn't great to start with but I've seen worse. It was poor in France lower down but I've seen worse. It has been much worse in the past. It has been better. It has been consistently excellent higher up and in the few days I managed to avoid admin and get out, I've notched up a couple of "best ever"s.

I guess, and SZooK this isn't a criticism, but as you say, your observation period is 7 years not long. Mine is 3 times longer but still only 20 and I don't have the quantitative inputs of ski sales and rentals that you have. The problem is that we are trying to contextualise (does that word exist outside of the United miStakes of unAmerica?) a very variable, chaotic problem into rather pitiful (comparatively) human imagination. And against a background of constant (and very noisy datawise) climate change.

Not going to get into that one, again, again but as we say around here,

"un avalement fait pas l'ete"

So, what do we predict for next year? Mean reversion? Tipped past the point? Tipped back over the point in the other direction? Who* knows...

* To be pedantic, as I am often accused on here, of course "Only the Shadow knows...". Do you reckon we can ask Lamont Cranston for a long range prediction? Or is his "knowing" only limited to the evil that dwells in the hearts of men?
snow report
David Murdoch, very quixoitic.
latest report
Quote:

un avalement fait pas l'ete

David Murdoch, I think you mean Hirondelle, avalement = to swallow! Puzzled
ski holidays
Well, we have had a good season - four weeks skiing isn't bad. Tignes in late November (Snoworks Race Training and Technical) was pretty wild, windy and blizzardy, and very hard work, but at least there was snow. Couchevel at the end of January/early Feb for 2 weeks had not a lot of snow but enough, and all the runs we really wanted to do were open. Meribel valley was not pleasant but Val Thorens was good and so was 1650. Kaprun/Zell Am Zee/Saalbach/Hinterglemm for a week in March were all excellent - lovely dump of fresh snow on the Monday meant that we managed to ski all the lower slopes before the snow melted again at the end of the week. As a ski experience I found the glacier at Kaprun Kitzdeinhorn far better than Tignes, with the bonus that the people are all friendly and don't shut the T-bar lifts while you are still on them (as happened to us in Tignes).

I'd be very inclined to return to Kaprun/Zell again. Maybe even this Summer Happy

I've increased my experience from 5 to 9 weeks, and done some runs through gates. It has been an excellent season for me, and despite the relative lack of snow, we found plenty to enjoy in the Alps.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, so, "one swallow doesn't make a summer", non? Anyway, isn't a swallow a rossignol? in which case, un rossignol ne fait pas une paire?

In similar vein, please translate, "un petit peu de comment ca va ton pere?"
snow conditions
David Murdoch, no, a swallow is une hirondelle.

Un rossignol is a nightingale.

I think.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, c'est une hirondelle. Un rossignol=nightingale.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, always good to have back up! snowHead
snow report
 deleted
deleted
Hirondelle is actually a very nice little wine that was available in the 1970s.

Not many people know that.
snow conditions
Quote:

Hirondelle is actually a very nice little wine that was available in the 1970s.

Shocked Shocked
snow report
laundryman, Helen Beaumont, yes, you're right, pardonnez-moi, svp.

Dave Goldsmith, I do/did. Preferred Special Brew around that period, but hey, youth's wild extravance, eh?

I'm quite into Oeil de Perdrix right now, especially from the Domaine des Faunes - I think that means the eye of the partridge? Unlike "'Oeil du tigre" which is a particularly '80 track. Although their Aligote is really rather special to my taste. Who ever denigrated Swiss wine?

(Can you tell I'm in end-of-season demob happiness?) Roll on next winter...!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy