Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wedge Blocker Turn

Poster: A snowHead
It's a shame some of you cannot see the video. It was uploaded from a Mac in Quicktime format, so not surprising that the Mac users here can see it . In theory it should work on any PC with the latest version of Quicktime installed. I'll upload it again tonight in another format eg windows media.

cathy, no, she has no idea! I thought I'd wait for the responses first Wink I've got loads of footage from Big White, which I'm in the process of editing down. I'll post it in another thread for you to see.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uktrailmonster, unless you've used an obscure codec then the standard version of Quicktime for Windows should display your file without any problem. The lastest version can be downloaded here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just checked and it works fine on my pc at work, so the format must be ok. But I did have to click on refresh page to kick it into action.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster, Like Yoda, I'm getting a message that Quicktime needs something, then another message saying whatever it is can't be installed. Puzzled It would be really great if you could upload it in another form, thanks so much. Smile Kind of Mrs UKTM to perform for our edification - did she have a choice?! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Works OK on my PC. Good videoing by the way! What I can see is that her weaker, more wedged turn is to her right. She has quite a noticeable A-Frame on this turn where her knees stay close together but her feet stray apart. As all snowHead WS devotees will be aware this is a very common problem. The way that Warren tries to cure this is to work on the braquage turn, as this encourages both legs and skis to remain parallel but in contact with the snow, and also to 'thigh steer', which essentially means to use the thigh muscles to rotate and drive the inside ski around early in the turn to keep both skis parallel and working together. This also has a tendency to keep the knees apart and develop an O-Frame rather than an A-Frame. Best advice I could give is to book on a WS course as I've seen loads of people start the week skiing like that but by the end skiing proper parallel turns
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Works for me too, but I've only had a quick look, as I'm at "work" Wink

BGA wrote:
What I can see is that her weaker, more wedged turn is to her right. She has quite a noticeable A-Frame on this turn where her knees stay close together but her feet stray apart.

That to me would make me consider alignment - having someone (in a zoo, or in Bicester) take a look at her boots may help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Probably the security or admin settings on your pc not allowing the Quicktime update. Perhaps try the link rob@rar posted and see if it allows you to download. I'll upload it again tonight in an alternative format. And no, she didn't have a choice!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed? It's a free download.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...another one that might be worth trying...
"Cowboy turns"/"leading with the inside knee" (also quite similar to Harb's "phantom move").

This may help solve the problem by approaching it differently.
There are a few ways to do this, but let's try the poleless one first...
1. Leave your poles behind.
2. Put your hands between YOUR knees, so that your left palm is pressed against your left knee, and your right palm is against your right knee.
3. From a traverse, to start a turn to the left, push your left knee with your left hand, so that it moves away from your right knee. Because you've pushed your knee out, the ski should now be slightly on its outside edge.
4. With your left knee out of the way, the right knee will "collapse" (bad word, I know, but it's the best I can think of for now) into the turn.

Looking from behind:
|..|
|..|

/..|
\..|

/../
\..\

In this illustration, it's a turn to the left, so the right leg is the outside one.

The reason I think it might work is because when you move the knee in to the turn, you are taking the weight off that leg, so you can't pick up your outside ski to stem it outwards.

It's called a "cowboy turn" because to make it, you end up going bow-legged, as if you've been riding a horse too long. It's also called "leading with the inside knee", not because that knee is ahead, but because you are starting the turn with it - you lead with that knee, and the other one follows.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BGA, many thanks for the observations. I'll certainly take a look at the WS techniques and courses.

Wear The Fox Hat, I was thinking about possible alignment issues, but I think it's primarily technique related in her case. I think most people would have a natural favoured turning direction regardless of alignment. However Bicester is very close to us, so it wouldn't do any harm at all to check her boots out. That's a good idea and may prevent other problems down the line.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, uktrailmonster,
Quote:

The lastest version can be downloaded here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
- BINGO! Thanks very much. As I suspected, Mrs T does exactly what I know I do, including the problem being more pronounced on one side. Usually manage to cure it on a not-too-steep piste, by concentrating on forcing my knees apart - inevitably using thigh muscles to do that - but on steeper, unpisted runs, I revert, as rob@rar, does to full-blown stem turns! That's a head problem more than a technique problem, I guess! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, I like the cowboy turn idea. Think I'd better try it myself first though!

Hurtle, It sounds like the stem turn is still your unconscious method of turning (as it is with Mrs T). On steeper slopes Mrs T reverts to full blown stem turns too. It's a method she has practiced often enough to turn into an unconscious sequence of movements. Once you find that you don't need to consciously force your knees apart on the easier slopes, it should become natural on the steeper stuff too. I did have some success "curing" Mrs T on easier slopes later in the holiday (I'll post a video taken later on) but its still very much a conscious effort for her NOT to make stem turns. Interestingly, in the video posted I have not yet attempted to explain any of this, so she's skiing completely unconsciously ie. not attempting to do something different.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster, Indeed. And when skiing becomes 'unconscious' it's a lot more fun!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally managed to see the video! Thanks UKT Toofy Grin

One thing that I can see in this sequence of stills

is that Mrs T appears to be initiating a turn whilst her inside ski is still on its inside edge - and as that ski will naturally not allow her to turn in the direction she wishes to go she is being forced to stem her outside ski in order to "overcome" the opposite turning effect of the inside ski and "force" the turn to happen. This effect appears to be more pronounced on the right turns.

A lot of the advice above should give you/her some tips about how to get both skis to essentially flatten and edge "simultaneously" (but all things are relative wink ) and remain parallel.

(the frames should be viewed in the order 1 - 12, sorry they didn't load up that way rolling eyes )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's a Windows Media version for those who cannot read the Quicktime one. It's a bit shorter, but you'll get the idea.

[media] https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/BW_Kami3.wmv [/media]
snow conditions
Yoda, thanks for taking the trouble to analyse the video. Those are very useful observations, hopefully I can get some of these ideas across to her.
ski holidays
Yoda, thanks from me too. I'm going to try and "get some of these ideas across to" myself! I'm almost certain that my problems are very similar to Mrs T's. They're probably quite common problems, aren't they?
latest report
Hurtle, well, I have the same problems myself!
snow conditions
I guess it's a "problem" if you want to be skiing parallel and are frustrated by it not happening wink What Mrs T is doing is essentially a "basic swing" as they used to call it, although she does also seem to be "banking" her body away from the outside ski during the last stage of the turns (but I'm not sure how much of that might be an artefact of the video). She's also on a very gentle run, and I think I mentioned somewhere about how difficult it is to ski parallel at slow speed/gentle runs wink With a bit more speed (maybe take the fall line on that sort of gradient?), more commitment to the outside ski and more activity in the legs (they are very "static", with little flexion/extension and little upper/lower body separation) she might find that things just change by themselves Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-04-07 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
Here's a Windows Media version for those who cannot read the Quicktime one. It's a bit shorter, but you'll get the idea.

[media] https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/504/BW_Kami3.wmv [/media]

Thanks uktrailmonster - can see it now!

Was trying to guess which run it was & I'm plumping for Whisky Jack? Very Happy
snow report
cathy, hey 10/10 spot on! Smile

Yoda, while it's not exactly a double black, it is a fair bit steeper than it appears in the video, especially the very first bit. It's a fairly typical Canadian blue, easy European red. Snow condition was excellent Smile Her banking is real - is that good or bad? I had it down as a positive because it helps get her skis on edge.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
cathy, hey 10/10 spot on! Smile

Woohooo! And I couldn't even read the sign as she went past Very Happy

A nice run especially as it doesn't get bashed too often. Easier though I'd say than a typical Canadian blue
snow conditions
cathy, Yeah, it's a good blast when there's fresh powder around and plenty of fun tree lines off to the right Smile A great place to go first thing in the morning after a decent snowfall. I agree it's an easy run, but the video totally flattens it. That first lead into the run is actually fairly steep, then it flattens out considerably, before dropping again into the main run, which as you say is easy CA blue.
latest report
uktrailmonster, you can get away with "banking" to a fair degree on soft snow because there is lots of grip to play with (although Mrs T's skis are not edging very much in that video anyway imho wink ) However because it's taking pressure off the outside ski and putting it more on the inside you will run into difficulties on harder/steeper surfaces. Much better to achieve edge by angulating ie upper and lower body separation - which allows you to control the pressure on the outside ski and lightens the inside ski so you can steer it - the inside ski does the "directing" in the turn and the outside ski "follows it" whilst carrying you round.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-04-07 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
uktrailmonster, sadly, as soon as the "pucker factor" reaches "gibber" I also revert to a similar style.

I know I do it, I try not to, but it's a bug to shift.

The cowboy style is similar to the "O" frame preached by Warren Smith and essentially carries Yodas' message; you keep using the old outside/turning ski for too long because it feels safe.

I know I need the confidence to fully commit to the new turn asap, but knowing and doing are two different things. Does Mrs UKTM know she does this?
latest report
Yoda, she's only just starting to understand the concept of turning with ski edges Wink As you pointed out earlier, her legs are still very static. Video is great for analysis and she could identify most of these issues herself after talking them through. I think understanding her own weaknesses will be a big help next time out. It's hard to improve when you don't really know what your problems are! Your advice has really confirmed what I was thinking too, no real surprises. The tips on here will give her something positive to work on next time we go to the snowdome.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, for a 6 week skier she's doing well - many folk have unrealistic expectations I feel, especially since the introduction of "carving" skis. The "basic swing" is or was a part of the BASI central theme I believe and is a useful stage to build on. Maybe if she could focus on steering the tip of the inside ski away from the outside ski in order to get them to match, rather than "pulling" the heel of it across as she appears to be doing now, it might help things click into place.
ski holidays
Yoda, yes, I think she's doing fine too and the most important thing is that she loves skiing now Very Happy
She's had plenty of professional teaching during her 6 weeks, which has given her a good start. 4 of her 6 weeks have been this season too, so she can't complain! She's just a little stuck on this plateau at the moment and wants to make progress. Especially since most of the people we ski with are very experienced.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster,

1000 steps exercise actually involves diverging inside ski stepping from the edge of ski you are standing on ..... it is good exercise ....
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, It's clear from the sequence of photos that Mrs UKT is leaning into the turn the whole way round it. therefore you need to get her weight on the ouside ski (I think I said something similar quite early in this thread). She should try airplane turns and swordsticks to help. she needs to feel how much more secure she is when she does actually commit to the turning ski. Her subconscious is clearly preventing her 100% committment. this is very common.

Airplane turns are arms held directly out from the shoulders and keeping the straight line in the arms banking to the outside of the turn. It's very important to hold the arms straight out from the shoulders and to keep them like that. It's hard on the deltoids, so don't go too long before resting with this one.
Swordsticks is when you hold your sticks like swords, you then raise up the inside one (slightly ahead of the shoulder), and drag the outside tip in the snow as far down the hill as you can reach.

Both these exercises are commonly done for this problem, and the problem itself is extremely common.
ski holidays
easiski, thanks for the advice, they seem like good ideas.
snow conditions
Living in the sticks and using low-speed dial-up, I have only looked at the first turn so far, but did anyone else notice the tip of the inside ski lifting? So we know that she is in the backseat and a little reluctant to move down the hill. I think WTFH is on the right track with 1000 steps. What he didn't mention is the orientation of the skis as she steps through the turns. They should always be in a V-shape from her view point. Tips farther apart than tails. It's best to start doing this exercise on a very flat trail. Otherwise the temptation will be too high to wedge. When she does do these turns she will notice one step is harder than all the rest. It's the step at transition where she needs to switch onto the new set of edges. Get that one right, and she will now be moving diagonally across her skis at transition.

Also, don't worry so much about the end resilt of "parallel". Work on strong movements right from the beginning. If done well, a wedge turn and a parallel turn are pretty much the same thing.
latest report
little tiger wrote:
uktrailmonster,

1000 steps exercise actually involves diverging inside ski stepping from the edge of ski you are standing on ..... it is good exercise ....

epic - i think i said that....
latest report
Can't hurt to say it two or even three times. That exericse is useless otherwise.
snow conditions
epic wrote:
Can't hurt to say it two or even three times. That exericse is useless otherwise.

true Very Happy
snow conditions
epic, thanks for clarifying my point earlier. (oh and welcome here!)

Hope to see you in December!
ski holidays
epic wrote:
Living in the sticks and using low-speed dial-up, I have only looked at the first turn so far, but did anyone else notice the tip of the inside ski lifting? So we know that she is in the backseat and a little reluctant to move down the hill.

You've seen 1 turn, you've seen them all!!

Spot on, she does often lift the tip of the inside ski. That was one of the reasons I liked the idea of the "wedge blocker" in the first place, because it involves lifting the tail of the inside ski instead.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy