Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba '08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having skied Les Carroz for three years and El Tarter for two years, we had been tempted to go back to El Tarter/Grandvalira again but have decided instead to try somewhere new. After a lot of thought (and browsing through Snowheads of course) we decided on La Ro... wink, no that's not right, Arabba in the Dolomites.

Yes I've done countless searches of the forums and the choice came down to Selva or Arabba. We chose Arabba on the strenght of the snow conditions, more intermediate and advanced pistes, good access to the Sella Ronda, access to the glacier and the Hidden Valley and an Italian village feel (I hear Selva has more of an Austrian feel).

At the moment it is only me and my better half who are going but that might change with the addition of another couple.

I would be really grateful for opinions on the best time of year to visit (we had our eye on early/mid March), the "must do" runs, good value accommodation (the Olympia keeps popping up as a good bet) and whether it is more convenient to go through a TO or independently. Because of work we cannot leave booking to the last minute. We have our own boots but would be hiring skis and probably looking at a couple of private lessons (we have done ski school in previous years but find that ski school does tend to take up a lot of the week). We are comfortable skiers on blues and reds, flirting with blacks and a little off piste/out of bounds.

snowHeads have influenced a lot of our skiing decisions in past years and I really would be grateful for any tips any of you might give. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowshine, Good choice. We were there for "Paddy's day" this year (mid March) and had a great time. It was however very slushy in the afternoon.

We went the DIY way this year. Ryanair flight to Bergamo (Milan) and returned via Treviso (Venice). If going to Arraba I would go to Treviso, about a 2 hour transfer. Hired a taxi, waiting for us at airport. And booked for a group directly with hotel on internet. Very good value in comparison with a TO. Better choice of hotel and not really much trouble.

Arraba was indeed the toughest of the area, saying that you can always challenge yourself if you want to even on "blues". Did not stay in Arraba and cant comment on the village itself, we skied down and accross the road. Antother snowHead should give you a better account of the town itself. I will return to Selva soon. Beautiful scenery, and great apres ski (cheesy German music).

Did I say it before, a great area!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowshine, we went to Arabba and stayed at the Olympia (Report here and agavin has reported here). Access to the skiing from the resort is great and we liked the hotel, Arabba is really small and quiet though. We went with Inghams flying into Bolzano, transfer by bus to Arabba is 2.5 hours or, if you get a taxi, 2 hours and about 4 serious passes with many switchbacks Shocked

The Hidden Valley is well worth a visit, although best go on a less ordinary pair of skis since the coach up to the pass involves the skis of 50 people being slung into the boot of the coach... glad I don't have Saloman Streetracers! Doing the Sella Ronda is obviously a must - we wanted to get to the Marmolada Glacier as well, but didn't manage it.

Half term in Italy now falls on the week containing Shrove Tuesday, we were there the previous week and experienced very little queuing, slightly busier on the Sella Ronda runs than elsewhere.

We're probably going back February 2008, will try Selva to get us a shorter transfer (an hour from Bolzano), a slightly more lively town and a different view onto the Sella Ronda. That said we would be very happy to go back to Arabba.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowshine, I was in Selva mid march this year and skiing wise it's the same as Arraba: you can ski from one to the other in an hour (hour and a half if taking your time) which was plenty of time for us to get to Arraba, do all the runs there and carry on round the Sella Ronda. Getting to the Marmolada, weather permitting shouldn't take too long: took us 2 1/2 hrs from Selva so would take about 1 1/2 from Arraba. The problem with both resorts is the lack of easy find your legs runs off the first lift; for Selva you're looking at a steep red and for Arraba probably an even steeper red. All the runs in Arraba off the main cable car are steepalthough wide and had some of the best snow while we were there, basically whatever you do you'll have a great time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roy Hockley, Hoppo, Swirly, that's a very big recommendation, thank you all. Are you sure you're not giving the game away and inviting hordes of Snowheads? wink

Roy Hockley, a great area then Laughing

Hoppo, if you went back to Arabba, would you stay in the Olympia again? I had previously read your report (and agavin's report) - it was actually your reports that made our final decision Arabba!

Swirly, the steepness of the pistes shouldn't be too much of a problem since, as you say, they are wide. Any recommendations for a first run though (in case one of us has a sudden attack of nerves)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowshine, You could head up to the gondola mid station and then towards the Marmolada there's a couple of blues or the chair heading anticlockwise around the Sella Ronda. Heading to Belvedere might be a good idea too but you would still need to go up the cable car and do the start of the big runs (they all start in the same place) although early on this might not be too bad it got very mogulled and full of nervous people by lunch time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowshine, yes - we'd be happy to go back to the Olympia. Key feature is the ski room which is about 20 yards from the chairlift - they'll take your stuff down for you when you check-in (note that the lockers open using your room key card at a single point, they didn't forget to give you a key Embarassed). Room was quite large and modern, dinner was good, breakfast was okay (standard coffee not so good though), we didn't really investigate any other facilities.

The hotel is about 0.5km up the hillside from the village centre, but there isn't a huge amount in in the centre - couple of small supermarkets, couple of small ski shops.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you thought about the sport hotel? Very good.

http://www.sporthotelarabba.com/?changeLanguage=en

Very close to the chair lift as well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley, You must have been in Selva the same week I was.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, Sunday 11th - Sunday 18th March. Was very enjoyable, had a great time for most of the week, alas on the Saturday we skied over to friends in Kronplatz nice ski but I am not as fit as I used to be. Had a very tough week. Got back to top of Vella and did not have the strength to do the blues in the slush, half tempted to make a snow hole and stay the night, totally b#lloc#ed.

Lovely area and a great town. Although we have a place in France and ski there regularly, we will go back to Selva again, soon if I have my way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley, We were the week after but Saturs#day to Saturday, I can see why you found it slushy now, fortunately for us it dropped to -10 on the Monday and snowed then stayed cold all week!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowshine

Do you definitely want to go to a hotel? If you are interested in self-catering, we stayed in Chalet Pradat It was modern, clean, quiet and comfortable. It was about 5-10 mins walk from the town centre and slopes, but they had access to a hotel's boot / ski storage room right on the slopes. It was very good value, and included cheap transfers (about 21 euros each return).

Ant
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tp023, yes I thought the Sport Hotel looked very good too but a bit pricey. Really don't mind stretching my legs a bit at the end of a day's skiing anyway, as long as I don't have to lug skis around with me. Olympia is on my shortlist for that very reason, thanks Hoppo.

antpj, had thought about sc but my better half is insistent on staying in a hotel, mostly for convenience but also for the facilities I suspect!

With no skiing left for me this season, isn't anticipation a great thing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy