Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must have toys?

Poster: A snowHead
Don't know about anyone else, but it doesn't occur to me to listen to "sounds" on the slopes. I like the sound of the skis on snow too much. Although, I suppose I can see the attraction whilst sitting on a 15-minute chairlift ride.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to do wipe out it is easier to stuff the ears with loud music all the time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, so do you have prof that listening to music cause crashes?? thought not rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme,

No I don't but pre-loading one's listening channels means one may not hear others shouting "stop!"

Put it this way would you like to cross the road when I am driving through a motorbike and have my ear pieces blasting loud music? It is totally legal too.

That said we can all agree it is perfectly safe to enjoy music when there is no one or very few around.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My must have toy is the SUUNTO S6 wristop computer (www.suunto.com). It's a watch designed for skiers and has five different modes: Time, Compass, Weather, Skiing, and SkiChrono. It comes with an extended strap that can be worn outside your ski outfit, a Datasnake interface cable for transferring data to and from a computer and a CD containing the Suunto Ski Manager software.
I find the instructions on the Suunto straightforward and uncomplicated. The button controls are easily manageable wearing thick ski gloves and the watch can be a great conversational piece when stuck in a gondola full of strangers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet Pimpernel, I always find people who talk to total strangers about their expensive gadgets to be a bit strange.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, sorry but i think this is wrong. maybe your oppinion but certainly not fact. wether slopes are full or empty i will be listening to music, does not make me any less safe than you does it. having listened to music while riding my bike i found that the bike noise completely overwhelmed the music, plus air noise in the helmet did not help. doubt it would make any difference at all to folk on crossings, unless of course i was stevie wonder
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, I can't believe that you're trying to argue that if your listening to music on a busy slope that your just as safe rolling eyes Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markus, ok please disprove me then? show some fact figures to back up your argument. if you dont feel safe with music while on a slope does that have to translate into all folk dont feel safe while listeneing to music. would be a strange world if we where all the same
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A better comparison with someone skiing on a busy piste is, perhaps, not a motor-cyclist (who is pretty much bound to have reduced hearing) but an urban cyclist. I have cycled in Central London a lot and hazards being audible to me have, I reckon, saved me many an accident. A taxi behind me, say, can be compared with a snowboarder on my tail. And as Saikee said, it's useful to be able - on skis or on a bicycle - to hear people shouting Stop. I do listen to music when I'm driving, but not music that's too engrossing: once nearly crashed the car when I got high on Tristan and Isolde getting it away!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme, you don't need facts as i would have thought that common sense is strong enough to show that listening to music is not as safe as not listening to music. But hey, if you want to listen to music, do it, but please dont crash into me on the slopes rolling eyes

Anyway, to keep the thread on topic, personally i dont need any toys... Mountains, sun, snow and skis - what more do i need?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
...........once nearly crashed the car when I got high on Tristan and Isolde getting it away!

Humble Pie (not the Rolling Stones) singing Honkey Tonk Woman use do to do it for me. Had to ban myself from playing it in the car!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markus, if you want to state its safer then i would think facts were essential, unless its just your oppinion, in that case YOU may be less safe on a slope while listening to music, but please dont say that the same applies for me
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some of these posts seem to be getting a touch of the NehNeh NehNeh about them...!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, sorry if you think that hurtle, i just think its wrong to be told what is safe and unsafe, surely thats up to me to make that decision. just cause its not desirable for one individual does not make it the same for another. some folk here cant see that though.
snow report
Isn't this an argument that's been done quite a lot in the past. This is my thread and I want to discuss skiing 'must have' toys - not the rights and wrongs of listening to music as you ski
ski holidays
Megamum, Fair enough. My must-have gadget, to save me having to carry reading glasses, is a magnifying glass which clicks in and out of a perfectly flat holder. It lives in same pocket as ski-map. This year, it proved to be unnecessary in Zermatt - very clear map - and essential in Verbier - lousy map, very small print.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
This is my thread ...

I think people who start threads have to expect them to develop a life of their own. Once you have gifted a discussion topic to the snowHeads comunity there's no knowing which way it will head, and no chance of reining it back in!
ski holidays
rob@rar, Fair enough, but in this instance I read Hurtle's response and thought 'RESPECT', I was just hoping that we might avoid yet another clash of ideas - I like friendly discussions. I'm sure you know what I was trying to do, and I'm surprised that earned me a 'put-down' from you.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I'm sure you know what I was trying to do, and I'm surprised that earned me a 'put-down' from you.

Certainly not a put down, just observing the typical way in which threads here and on other forums take a life of their own regardless of the intentions of the thread starter. By the same token, a thread which gets too serious or argumentative is in no way a reflection of the the original poster. If "one of my" threads gets a bit silly I don't worry about it, either enjoying the ride of ignoring it altogether.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
...I like friendly discussions.

I think this is a friendly discussion. People have different opinions on this issue and are expressing them without making any gratuitous insults. Seems OK to me...
ski holidays
rob@rar, The way I see it - if I hadn't posted in the first instance then folks wouldn't be arguing - that almost makes the argument's resolution my responsibility.

B.t.w. My favourite toys at the moment are my boots
latest report
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, The way I see it - if I hadn't posted in the first instance then folks wouldn't be arguing - that almost makes the argument's resolution my responsibility.

In my experience that's not the way forums work. We should all take responsibility for what we contribute, and nothing else.
snow report
rob@rar, OK, I'll take off the team leader hat then!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, OK, I'll take off the team leader hat then!

No such thing as team leaders on internet forums. We're all equals... Wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 7-04-07 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, rob@rar, i think the last 6 posts or so have demonstrated how topics can completely change from their original meaning Very Happy

*Cough*, anyway, what boots are those Megamum?
snow conditions
Markus, My lovely new shiney comfy ski boots - that I bought after lots of snowheads advice
ski holidays
Lizzard, don't be such a narrow-minded bonehead. I wasn,t stating that I impose myself uninvited at people about my wrist computer, in fact, they always approach me for information about it and only then does a conversation ensue - which can only happen between two or more parties. But for your edification, I hereby offer you a rough translation of the word 'Conversation'.
Noun: conversation
The use of speech for informal exchange of views or ideas or information etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet Pimpernel, to be fair, when I read your post I thought you were trying to sell me it...

I couldn't go skiing without my camelbak, I use it for cycling primarily but it is dead handy on the slopes, enough room to fit my essentials in and water to keep me hydrated
snow report
Quote:

Scarlet Pimpernel, to be fair, when I read your post I thought you were trying to sell me it...

george 1, as has many posters on this thread with their respective 'must have toys'...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum wrote:
I'm sure you know what I was trying to do, and I'm surprised that earned me a 'put-down' from you.

By the same token, a thread which gets too serious or argumentative is in no way a reflection of the the original poster. If "one of my" threads gets a bit silly I don't worry about it, either enjoying the ride of ignoring it altogether.

I doubt it's got much to do with "reflection of the original poster". More a matter of Megamum wants more "toys" to be presented without the thread being side tracked into earpeice and musics.

A more subtle way to "re-direct" the thread is keep posting more question about the toys that's been presented. That would be quite likely to get more presentation of toys.

And if not? Then, there's probably no more useful toys left out there! wink

Anyone ever used a helmet-cam?
snow conditions
I tend to buy a new toy each season.

A great source of amusement to your family is a friend who we ski with who seems to find it compulsory to buy whatever it is that we have just bought.

This year she bought helmets (my wife's first year with one). We thought that she would never buy a Navman (this year's new toy) so I told the family that we would "lead" her into buying some walkie-talkies. However it was definitely the Navman that caught her fancy - we will see what she appears with next season. wink
ski holidays
abc, a helmet-cam sounds like my kind of toy. I tried using a hand held video this year with rather poor results. I wanted to try and recapture the buzz of skiing to show some non skiing friends and only managed to capture shots of the snow directly in front of my skis and an occasional view of the mountain. Blush

What web-cam would you recommend? Puzzled
latest report
Several folks on here have tried using web-cams and other cameras, there seems to be quite a lot of interest in non hand held ones, i.e. boot cams, helmets cams etc. It just crossed my mind that on ski sunday Martin Bell is regularly seen with just a plain hand held camcorder and gets good shots - perhaps its got a lot to do with practice?
latest report
Richard E wrote:
abc, a helmet-cam sounds like my kind of toy. I tried using a hand held video this year with rather poor results. I wanted to try and recapture the buzz of skiing to show some non skiing friends and only managed to capture shots of the snow directly in front of my skis and an occasional view of the mountain. Blush

Haven't gotten started yet! Sad

The first time I thought of that was to mount them on my biking helmet when I go mountain biking, to capture sight on the trails. I've seen many videos of mountain bikes. But the words from that gang is it takes quite a bit of fuzzing around the get the angles right, or you ended up with full clips of your handlbar (in skiing case, just the top of your own ski?)! I'll look back in my notes to see what're recommended. But that was a couple years back, though.

Yesterday I was white water kayaking (got to utilize the melting snow!). Since I'm still learning, the suggestion was made to me to have a helmet cam to capture the river and study them later in my living room... I'll ask that gang what they've used and how difficult it is to use (got to be water-proof).

So, although the thought had occurred to me to have a helmet-cam for skiing, I don't have one to recommend. (Never mind I haven't even gotten a skiing helmet yet).

Oh BTW, in all these cases, crashing is ... errh... bad for the camera.
snow report
Quote:

It just crossed my mind that on ski sunday Martin Bell is regularly seen with just a plain hand held camcorder and gets good shots - perhaps its got a lot to do with practice?

I'm sure a professional with lots of pratice will get pretty good result with a regular camcorder.

When I was looking at helmet-cam for mountain biking, the ones toss up to me were actually pretty impressive (and expensive unfortunately). They mount securely on the helmet. And after a bit of fuzzing around, I imagine it should work quite well. (I have a light mounted on my helmet and it was very good so I think the camcorder should work just as well). The best part is it points where you're looking. You turn it on and it records. Come home and replay what you did the day.

I think the result would be most dramatic especially when you ski in the woods, having tree branches fly by you close up. wink
snow conditions
Richard E wrote:

I bought a helmetcam this season - some footage from it in this thread, including info about what type of camera and where I bought it.

Megamum, Graham Bell uses a regular domestic camcorder (a Sony something or other) with a wide angle lens adapter when he skis the downhill courses for Ski Sunday. I think the advantage that he has over the rest of us in getting good footage is that he's a rather good skier Wink
latest report
Quote:

I think the advantage that he has over the rest of us in getting good footage is that he's a rather good skier

Yes, being able to hurtle straight down steep hills at mind-boggling speed must contribute something to those films he makes. Zig-zagging slowly just wouldn't make for the same effect; make the viewers sick, I should think. I think I'll stick to my music for the moment.
snow report
Bootcams are the way forward!
ski holidays
Come to think of it, since my digital camera can be set to record in video mode, I'll rig up something for my bike helmet and give it a go to see how it works in the summer before investing on a big sum of money...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy