Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lacing up board boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there,

Been riding for a couple of years now but still haven't found a way to lace up my board boots tight enough - that is, without asking someone else to help me out. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind asking the next hottie walking by to help me out but is there some sort of trick out there that I don't know about?!

ID2000
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BOA systems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ID2000, It's unusual not to be able to lace up without excess effort and there are any number of causes . . . are your boots too big or wide or have you skinny legs? Are you trying to stiffen up your boots by over tightening to compensate for under-developed riding techniques? Is it just heel-lift that's the problem?

Time to visit a bootfitter I think.

But if you insist on tugging at your laces till your fingers bleed, you'll find a 4" piece of 1/2" wood dowelling will give you better purchase to pull if you wrap a couple of turns of your laces around it before heaving on it . . . but you'd be better served by a visit to a bootfitter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ID2000, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I know nothing about snowboards or their boots Toofy Grin

But I do know that this guy is a snowHead and a very good bootfitter and well worth a visit.
www.solutions4feet.com
I am only posting as a satisfied ski boot customer, so can't add any more info to help you!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ID2000, welcome to snowHead

do you have your own boots or do you hire boots?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

A couple of things.. I'm also a skier, so might be trying to acheive the same kind of support as my ski boots. I never really thought about it, but my boots might not fit properly. I'm petite but do have teeny feet, high arch, narrow ankle, with well developed calves (I'm a horse rider too...) So any boot (fashion, ski or board) is tough to fit.

I could be trying to over compensate for my average technique but I'd have to get back on the mountain to see...opening weekend here in Oz so I'll get back to you on that one...

Bootfitter might be the answer...does that mean I can blame the boots now:P
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Btw, the boots are mine. Not sure whether I made that clear in the last post.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
put 5 pairs of socks on wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wack your ankles with a mallet just before putting on the boots so that they swell up - the boot will fit better - great for reducing heel lift Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have them Burton Motos with the 'speed zone' lacing system. It's good but not perfect. I just wearea pair of normal socks, a pair of ski socks and then a pair of loose hiking socks, in addition to putting an extra insole out of my Salomon trainers inside. They fit brilliantly on one foot (my biggest) but slightly loose on my small foot. Thankfully, the 'loose' foot is my front one and I can combat the looseness by putting weight onto it to turn the board.

I wouldn't mind knowing if you can buy additional inserts for Burton boots? I have a level 2 insert that's poor around the ankle whereas my missus has Emeralb boots with level 3 boots that she says are rock solid and help here loads. Don't want to have to buy a new set of boots just to get a new liner - has anyone bought liners seperately?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I just wearea pair of normal socks, a pair of ski socks and then a pair of loose hiking socks, in addition to putting an extra insole out of my Salomon trainers inside.

THREE pairs of socks plus an extra footbed???!! I assume you didn't get these boots properly fitted in a shop then......? Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with Lizzard BOA ! Had great problems getting boots to fit until I bought my Vans Encore. Would never go back to laces now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You want these:

They are the canine's parts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, ooooo I like. Do you have those ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found Burton boots to be generous sizes and I don't have narrow feet. Until this year I had always hired boots - always got Burtons which I could never seem to get tight enough - now I know why!

Have now got Salomons which have easy lace up - grips things at the bottom and the top. Brilliant and the boots fit properly and snugly.

I tried some Vans with the boa system but found the boots a bit heavier than some of the others. It's a great idea though.
ski holidays
debbi, I do. They were more money than I'd planned to spend, but once I'd tried them on I couldn't contemplate buying anything else. They are very light, well-fitting and uber-comfortable. The Vibram sole makes a big difference when walking about as well.
latest report
i am going to try and describe this lacing method, but bare with me if it doesn't sound right, you need to try it

from the point you run out of eyelets and start on hooks, cross the laces over as normal, but instead of going to the hook on the opposite side as you would , twist one lace around the other and back to the hook on the same side as it came from, pull each lace individually one side then the other, this uses the laces as a lever against each other, repeat this process all the way up the boot, at the veryy top start to tie the lace as normal, but do two twists in the lace, not one, sthis stops the lace from slipping and slackening, the same technique can be used on hiking boots, ice skates etc etc.
ski holidays
Dobz,

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I thought "I wonder if Dobz will see this one. She knows all about lacing boots" Toofy Grin Laughing

How's business - picking up for the 'summer' (I think this is 'summer')?
ski holidays
I have slightly narrow feet and found the Salomon boots a great fit. And like Dobz said they have laces that lock easily as you pull them. They stay tight. They might be stiff for snowboard boots but as a former skier nothing is stiff. My husband ties knots every now and then as he tightens his boots.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
Dobz,

As soon as I read the title of this thread, I thought "I wonder if Dobz will see this one. She knows all about lacing boots" Toofy Grin Laughing

How's business - picking up for the 'summer' (I think this is 'summer')?

How spooky is this - I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you on here for some time and up you pop with a message for moi Madeye-Smiley

It's very summerish up here at the mo. The nice weather brings 'em all out of the woodwork.

Sue needs some new boots. Daughter is starting boarding lessons soon so will have a blast up at Castleford and see if Sue wants to come along and try some boots out.

There could be as many as, errrrrmm, 3 boarders at next years MSB wink Although I think Debbi and Lizzard should be cajolled (or blackmailed) into coming along aswell. It would be nice to have a full table at lunch times Laughing
latest report
Dobz,

Glad to hear you'r OK. We've been under this blanket of cloud all week - not very nice at all. still, I don't care what the weather does while I'm chained to my desk. I've deliberately kept off the boards since season finished - I waste so much time on here when there's the prospect of skiing that I just have to get my head down in the 'off' season

It would be great to have more darksiders at next year's MSB. Not that I would be seen sliding with one, of course. Laughing
snow report
Someone mentioned a pair of Burton boots that have the speed lacing system. In my opinion, that's the best way to go. Burton, Salomon and Northwave are all making boots with speed lacing systems that work wonders for tightening certain areas with much ease. The BOA's are okay, but I would recommend the speed lacing over the BOAs anyday.
snow report
Dobz, i would have loved to come this year but had already booked my 2nd trip of the season so couldnt afford a 3rd ! maybe next year .... can't have the fellow boarders sitting alone now can we snowHead
latest report
Dobz, I will be working in 2Alpes next season - chances of running off to some other resort for a week are a bit slim.
latest report
debbi, Start saving now Laughing

Lizzard, Throw a sickie for that week Laughing
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
Dobz,

It would be great to have more darksiders at next year's MSB. Not that I would be seen sliding with one, of course. Laughing

Laughing
snow conditions
Dobz, we're talking tour ops here - if you're off sick for more than five minutes they fire you.
latest report
ID2000, use the method CEM, explains. I was shown this in US and it definitely works.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you use a boa system make sure you carry gaffer tape around with you, so when they break (and even the new models do so dont even try telling me they dont) you can still ride.

Boots shouldn't be really tight, if they are they will just cause you foot pain. Most heal lift is caused by bad riding technique. Your boots should fit snugly and be done up so they fit like that, this shouldn't invove pullin on the cords.

incidentally the one time i tied my boots with CEM's method, i had the worst foot pain ever, undid them did htem just like a normal pair of boots, without pulling htem tight, and they were perfect.

its all personal preference, but i do think that 99% of people have their boots way to tight
snow report
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

I just wearea pair of normal socks, a pair of ski socks and then a pair of loose hiking socks, in addition to putting an extra insole out of my Salomon trainers inside.

THREE pairs of socks plus an extra footbed???!! I assume you didn't get these boots properly fitted in a shop then......? Very Happy

I tried some on at TSA in Milton Keynes but bought them from www.bluetubes.com because they were cheaper. I prefer to have a really tight fit but I have to admit that they are a little genrous for me.

I got UK 11.5s but I think the translation from US to UK sizes, as far as Burton are concerned, mean the 11.5 UK is actually a 12UK. I'm gonna buy some new ones anyway becaue I find the Imprint liner on the Moto isn't as supportive as I want.
ski holidays
you should not be wearing more than 1 pair of socks in your boots.

go buy some ones that fit properly
snow conditions
snowangel. wrote:
you should not be wearing more than 1 pair of socks in your boots.

go buy some ones that fit properly

That's me told then!! Ooh, consider my back bottom well and truly smacked...

.. unfortunately, when you're a beginner like I was when I bought the boots, cash is the one thing that limits your purchase. It's only when you get out on the slopes that you find out when you're purchase is sound or not, and by that point, the boots are used so you can't take them back.

Give me directions to your money tree and I'll get some that fit! rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
Specialman, surely its logical to only wear one pair of socks in a pair of any boots??? rolling eyes I mean would you waer a pair of football boots with 3 pair of socks? or evena pair of walking boots???? Personally i'd never even consider it. Plus it will give you blisters.

if a shop let you walk out of it with a pair of boots that dont fit then you should go back to that shop and compain. ]

yeh i apreciate money is hard to come by, (considerin i live in a place where summer jobs are hard to come by no on knows better than i do) but do something about it.
sell the boots on ebay or the like and save up for new ones.

riding with equipment that dont suit isn't going to help your riding.

if you were that much of a beginer when you bought them maybe you should have carried on hiring till you had a little bit more experience so you didn't just go and waist your money. NehNeh
or seek some proffesional advice or even the not so profesional advice of folks who have years of snowboarding exp like the likes of us here do. Snowboarding forum's aren't that hard to find and we all are quite happy to give advice. Very Happy
snow report
What, you mean I've been wearing three pair of socks inside my ballet shoes all this time and nobody told me!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I got a bargain on the boots so kind of had to get them. Anyway, I got my board, boots and binding for under £180, which wasn't much more than renting for the two trips I had last winter. It made sense at the time, although i do agree, it's often more cost effective to do some research and get things fitted properly etc.

My board works brilliantly (even if it's a bit knackered now) and when I saw how good Flow bindings were, there was no doubt I was going to upgrade my bindings before the next trip. Snowboarding's just like any other sport I've got involved with, in that most of us are rarely happy with the stuff we've got and we always look to buy new things as and when we can - human nature I suppose?

snowangel. wrote:
Specialman, sell the boots on ebay or the like and save up for new ones... riding with equipment that dont suit isn't going to help your riding.

Gonna do that anyway, sell them on ebay that is. If I get back half their value I'll be happy. Strangely, I haven't had many problems with my riding as it stands. The main problem I found as a beginner was getting used to foot angles - all my gear seemed to work fine but I was never sure how I should have my feet set.

Mistakes we pay for with experience so I suppose I've come out of it with a bit more knowledeg of what I want. It's a costly way to do it but there was no way my little pinkies were going anywhere near a set of smelly, putrid hire boots!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I agree with BOA response. Have ridden using this system for last 3 years and thoroughly recommend it. No problems with getting it tight enough and soo comfortable.
snow conditions
Mouth wrote:
I agree with BOA response. Have ridden using this system for last 3 years and thoroughly recommend it. No problems with getting it tight enough and soo comfortable.

I bought a pair of BOA boots this year (well last year in the end of season sale). Easily the best lacing system for those who like to enjoy the apres to the full. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I suppose I've come out of it with a bit more knowledeg of what I want.

Like boots which fit? Actually I did exactly the same this seasin, but I spotted after a week that the boots were a size too big (doh!!) and sold them on to a colleague who thought they were great.
snow report
It's often a bit too tempting when you see those deals on the net and if you haven't got a boarding shop nearby (or you can't get to it when you want) it's too easy to just buy something and hope it's gonna fit - hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
boa system for me had two pairs with boa now which id handy as ive cannabalised the first set to fix the second set when i have invariably broken bits off them on the twisty bit has gone awol after a huge session.. i hav eno spare bits left now and no idea where you can get spare bits either!! ill hav eto buy a new pair of boots Shocked
snow conditions
ID2K - hope your initial dilemma has been sorted: CEM's system works well - you can even cross the laces round each other before you run out of eyelets - the advantage here is that the friction between the crossed laces holds the fit a lot better, and you can tighten the lower part of the boot without having to crank on the top.

There are so many fastening systems out there today that you'd have to choose to go with laces. I've never found they work for my slender, girly size 10's. Never wear more than 1 layer of socks - it does more harm than good but I doubt anyone wants me to bash out a few paragraphs on socks so i'll leave it at that.

"always spend as much time and money as you need choosing a pair of shoes or a bed. If you're not in one, you're in the other" wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy