Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So the time is coming when I'm thinking of a new pair of downhill boots though doesn't have to be next season. Question is - is it approaching remotely possible to get an AT boot with the performance of a (softish) downhill boot with the Garmonts and Scarpas? To be honest weight isn't really an issue I just like the idea of a vibram sole and the extra options and of course the 2 birds/1 stone aspect. Also are the Scarpa and Garmont AT lasts similar to the tele lasts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, i have my eye on some garmont shamans which will be around for next season
i have scarpa spirit 4s which i find almost good enough to ski all the time but not quite
this is quite an interesting comparison of AT boot flexes:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78437
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i bought the scarpa denali tt's, love them
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bought Crispi Diablo Freeride last season and love them. have skied more on my touring kit this year more than my downhill kit. THey're quite stiff in comparison to scarpa's or garmonts which i found just too soft for me. There seems to be quite a few "hybrid" boots coming on the market from this season now tho so should be plenty of choice
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, There are a couple of randonee (AT) boots available now that offer a very good 'all in one' solution. The Garmont Endorphine and Adrenaline have flex indexes of ~130 and 100 respectively with the Endorphine offering greater torsional stiffness due to the carbon fibre inserts (the Adrenaline uses glass fibre). The Endorphine inparticular offers better downhill performance than many existing Alpine boots. Both the Garmont boots mentioned come with interchangable soles, one 'cleated' randonee sole and an Alpine binding compatible sole. These are (relatively) easy to switch between, about 8 screws holds them to the base of the boot- an electric screwdriver makes the process a lot quicker!

Scarpa's offering is the Spirit 4. A fixed 'Skywalk' sole for hiking, 'low-tech' inserts and interchangable tongues - a very soft one for long ascents and a very stiff tonge for downhill. The Spirit 4 does lack some of the torsional stiffness of the Garmont series, but more importantly is suited to wider, higher volume feet.

As Arno, mentioned, next season Garmont are introducing the Shaman. Based around Garmont's G1 series of World Cup boots, the Shaman offers torional rigidity of an Alpine boot with a flex index of 120, along with an Alpine binding compatible cleated sole for grip when hiking. Although its not the best looking boot, it should be perfect for those short hikes up to find new lines.

We shouldn't forget, of course, that the most important factor is chosing the boot that best fits your foot shape Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The new Scarpa Spirit 4s now have an extra buckle stiffening them up for the down hill bits, but they are still a good weight and comfortable for climbing in. The more hybrid - "almost a down hill boot" tend to be a bit lost, they are not really ever going to be as good as a dedicated down hill boot and are not very comfy for touring.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Garamont Megaride II have had about 8 weeks use and they are great. Much much softer than the previous ski boots. My first hard-packed black run in them was interesting - my skis seemed to flap all over the place. But I have got used to that, or perhaps I can control them now. I cannot answer your questions fatbob but I am happy with my switch from ski boots to touring boots. And, as you suggest, having better soles is good. This winter I have walked in some places where I was really glad of a good sole. Others in normal ski boots managed but later said they were not happy in those places.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
in garbure we trust, How does the fourth buckle stiffen the Spirit 4, compared to the Spirit 3?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure "stiffen is the right word".

I can actually feel a difference when I do up the buckles over the foot so it does seem to do something. That said, the buckle over the toes makes the least difference to any boot's performance IMO
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
fatbob, There are a couple of randonee (AT) boots available now that offer a very good 'all in one' solution. The Garmont Endorphine and Adrenaline have flex indexes of ~130 and 100 respectively with the Endorphine offering greater torsional stiffness due to the carbon fibre inserts (the Adrenaline uses glass fibre). The Endorphine inparticular offers better downhill performance than many existing Alpine boots. Both the Garmont boots mentioned come with interchangable soles, one 'cleated' randonee sole and an Alpine binding compatible sole. These are (relatively) easy to switch between, about 8 screws holds them to the base of the boot- an electric screwdriver makes the process a lot quicker!

Scarpa's offering is the Spirit 4. A fixed 'Skywalk' sole for hiking, 'low-tech' inserts and interchangable tongues - a very soft one for long ascents and a very stiff tonge for downhill. The Spirit 4 does lack some of the torsional stiffness of the Garmont series, but more importantly is suited to wider, higher volume feet.

As Arno, mentioned, next season Garmont are introducing the Shaman. Based around Garmont's G1 series of World Cup boots, the Shaman offers torional rigidity of an Alpine boot with a flex index of 120, along with an Alpine binding compatible cleated sole for grip when hiking. Although its not the best looking boot, it should be perfect for those short hikes up to find new lines.

We shouldn't forget, of course, that the most important factor is chosing the boot that best fits your foot shape Very Happy

Thanks for this - I'm quite happy with my Garmont Synergy tele boots fit wise while I couldn't find a Scarpa tele boot to fit so are the lasts similar?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, Yes, it is a similar situation with tele boots- Garmont offer a narrower, lower volume fit than Scarpa.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I've been testing the Garmont Endorphins this season for Fall Line Skiing mag & have now had about 7 weeks in them. The striking thing about the fit, for me (with narrow heels) is the amazing heel retention - even when they are just loosely buckled I have no discernible heel lift and have had no blisters when skinning for several hours. They are also stiff - more downhill than touring - which is the perfect solution for me (I'm 80+kgs and ski quite hard, often with a heavy pack as I tend to carry SLR lenses). I'm using them without modification except for a custom footbed. The interchangeable sole is a slight red-herring - how often would you want to swap if you've got an all-round pair of skis with touring bindings? But it is very nice to have a performance boot with a walkable sole, as much at the bottom of the hill as on a dodgy climb to a peak.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FoulNative, It's for me, aside fit issues, the best boot on the market, does everything well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy