Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine boards?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How different are the carvey looking snowboards that take ski boots to regular ones? I fancy learning to snowboard next season - but I have size 12 feet and apparently this means hassle with a wide board and stuff, plus my ski boots fit perfectly so I'm loathe to have to sort out another pair of boots that'll probably hurt at some point Smile

Same kinda thing or totally different kettle of fish?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toiletduckuk, I recommend you check out the Carver's Almanac. http://www.alpinecarving.com/boots.html#ski

Most alpine riders use special snowboarding hard boots. Ski boots have the following disadvantages:
Too long - hard boots are designed to be as short as possible to enable lower angles to be used
Too stiff
Too stiff laterally
Cant use step-in bindings

You don't have to get a carving board to use hard boots. I used them on freeride boards as well. Carving boards are narrow and force high angles. The most versatile board is the Swoard Extremecarver (www.swoard.com) which is wide enough to go well in powder and permits a 40 degree back foot angle. Narrower boards, ski boots and big feet will force you to have 60 degree+ angles. Not ideal for learning.

The main disadvantage of using alpine stuff is the difficulty in getting kit. You used to see them in supermarkets here. Now there are only a handful of shops. The best source of second hand kit is www.ebay.de

While learning, the stiffness of hard boots could be a hindrance. On the other hand I know what you mean about having comfortable boots. I went from strap bindings through "soft" stepin bindings to using my ski boots and finally getting snowboard hard boots which I used for 8 years. Of all those the only boots which have been all day comfortable are my ski boots and since modern skis are a lot more fun than 10 years ago I have now switched back to skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can easily rent wide boards in resort (a lot more easily than you can rent carving boards or hard boots).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, right - didn't realise they weren't ski boots. That'll do for that plan Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got size 12 feet and ride a K2 nemesis which has built in risers so that your twinkle toes never touch the snow (except in deep pow wow of course!), without compromising the width of the board. I've got a mate who has size 14 feet and comfortably rides an Option Booter. I think most board manufacturers now days do a special "big foot" or wide board to cater for us larger hoofed males.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was gonna suggest a Recon Riser or Booter. Ideal for big plates o' meat.
I have an alpine board that I won in a raffle in Arinsal afew years back - it's never touched snow. Looks cool on the wall of the spare bedroom though! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I forgot u had that. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy