Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Questions about my first pair of planks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've recently become the proud owner of a pair of Rossi B1 skis, my first ever pair!

I've had them stood up in my lounge admiring them for the past 2 months and had noticed that the edges are starting to show the slightest early signs of rust. Is this normal for a brand spanking new pair of shiny planks, or am i storing them incorrectly? Also would it be a good idea to have them serviced before i use them in jan, due to the tarnishing on the edges, even though they have never seen snow in their life yet?

Just to point out that my house is in no way damp, and usualy warm, due to my girlfriend having the heating on in July!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the rust off quick, use an ink eraser for very light rust, light emery paper if it's worse, once the rust is off put a little light vegtable oil on a cloth and just wipe over the edges, the problem with all edges is that they rust very easily, the room may be warm but the moisture content is what makes the difference, it's often better to store in a dry cool well ventilated room than a hot humid room
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that tip. I shall do that asap.

I have an eraser similar to an ink one which i was advised to use for cleaning my scalextric track, which had been in my parents loft for 15 years! I guess this would be ok to use.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Downey, that sounds perfect, you just want to remove the rust with as little loss of real metal as possible, when you get to whatever resort you plan to go to have them service them for you, best thing to do is if you arrive in the resort late afternoon take them to a service shop straight away and they'll be ready next morning for skiing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't panic about the rust - yes, clean it off, then put some vaseline on the edges to protect them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats all i've ever used is vaseline
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't kiss and cuddle them so much - it raises the moisture level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't kiss and cuddle them so much - it raises the moisture level Laughing we've all done it with new ski's dont anyone deny it every 5 minutes your picking them up and looking at them and almost cry when they get thier first scratch Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cryed for days after the first scratch, got to go through it all again I just got some Head Monster IM75

A question I have is how often during a weeks skiing should they be serviced if at all and do any of the cold application waxes and sprays make a difference I have never used them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive only ever had my ski's serviced once whilst away and never noticed any real difference so i dont bother now just get them done before i go and then when i get back other opinions will no doubt vary but thats what i've found.
Great ski's russell a friend of mine has them and really rates them i'll try them when we go this time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russell, once a week is more than adaquate especially if only skiing on snow, usually I don't bother with more than once every two or so weeks, if you only go for a week a year, get them serviced on the last day if possible after you've finished skiing as this will help protect them in storage.

The spray on/wipe on waxes do make a difference especially with fresh snow but it's not a huge difference.

Skis will only need more frequent servicing if skiing on thin snow where the rocks start to appear and the bases get damaged, base scratches should be repaired every time but you can do this yourself with a Ptex candle and a metal scraper blade, by not repairing any scratches you increase the chances of further damaging the ski base and also loose some control of the ski
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My B1s did this when i first got them ... I know what you mean ... mmm if its of the same sort of rust as mine its so fine that snow would take it off ... but all i did was use a toko block the kinda grey thing and just ran the rust off then put liquid wax on and they've never done it since.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi jonathanbone17! Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy