Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine or snowfall

Which do you prefer on your skiing holiday:
Beautiful blue skies, no wind but average snow
53%
 53%  [ 52 ]
Fabulous snow but with bad visibility
39%
 39%  [ 38 ]
I get blue skies, no wind and fab snow coz I go to La Ros.
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Voted : 97
Total Votes : 97

Poster: A snowHead
You missed the "The only skiing I do is Apres Ski in a polo neck / fart bag and fat skis are useless for that." option
snow report
 brian
brian
I voted for fab snow but I think the answer is really it depends.

For instance, I'd rather ski spring snow softening gently in the sun than ski in a full on whiteout where the snow's blowing over an icy base and not sticking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't mind bad weather, not even rain at lower levels, but snow and high winds is a fairly miserable combination, unless you can head below the trees. I struggle to ski off piste above the tree line in flat light.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blue Sky and sunshine for me - I am a fairweather skier and besides panda eyes are De Rigeur Shocked That said, the weather won't stop me skiing unless the lifts shut of course .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geetee wrote:
snowfall and skiing the tree runs Very Happy

I suspect those who take the zero visibility are very familiar with the resort they're skiing.

Last week when the snow was falling and the clouds thick a soup, I went to the hire shop to get a pair of fatter skis. I mentioned I would be staying below the tree line. And the guys in the shop said "Smart idea! There's lots of powder in the trees and visibility is not a problem in the trees" (not to mention no avalanch risk for those who care). But when he mentioned the places I could go, I didn't have a clue where that was, being a first timer there. So, I had the right idea but couldn't execute it until I get to know the resort better. Next time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, well there's plenty of tree runs in Whistler and runs below the tree line. I'm with you, I don't like bad visibility at all and even less so when I don't know the resort.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not quite sure that there's no avalanche risk in the trees.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Kramer wrote:
I struggle to ski off piste above the tree line in flat light.

Use the force, Luke.

... or ski in Scotland, you'll get plenty of practice !
latest report
 brian
brian
Kramer, having seen a large area of avalanche flattened trees in La Grave, I concur. Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, it's quite annoying when you see the guides who can ski it really well no matter what the conditions. For me it's a real confidence thing, having fallen down a few unexpected drops and wind lips in the past.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would always take a day or 2 of snowfall and low vis for the benefits over the coming days as when it stops you know there's fresh tracks to be had on wonderful snow in good weather. Everywhere I've been has had enough tree lined runs for the bad weather not to be a problem save for going over the top from one area to another but even that's fun in a character building way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:
it's quite annoying when you see the guides who can ski it really well no matter what the conditions. For me it's a real confidence thing, having fallen down a few unexpected drops and wind lips in the past.

The guides also knows every inch of the resort, too!

I totally agree. Although I was lucky not to hurt myself, I felt it's more luck than skill that I landed those "air runs"! Granted, I probably would have jump off SOME of them just for fun had I been able to see them. But it's very unnerving to have the snow vanished from underneath my ski!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-03-07 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer wrote:
I'm not quite sure that there's no avalanche risk in the trees.

OK, I was being naive. Avalanch does happen even in the trees. But you've got to agree the risk is less. Otherwise, those trees wouldn't have been standing there for too long.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, I do agree, but I think I read something about there being a risk of avalanches that are small enough to run around the trees, but large enough to bury a skier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm afraid I like blue skies and freshly groomed pistes. Of course the ideal holiday would be one where it snows overnight, and is sunny during the day. So there is beautiful corduroy on the pistes and lovely powder off it, and this gets replenished during the holiday. A day or two of snow to replenish is OK, but I really like a beautiful sunny day in the mountains.
ski holidays
If it's a choice I prefer snow to sun. Am still waiting for that idyllic situation (which I know can occur) when it snows evey night and the sun shines during the day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having said all that, at the EoSB, where it'll get quite moist whatever the weather, I would prefer it to be sunny this year.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
When I moaned about the fog and not being able to see it was insinuated that I was being a whos (sp?) and that as a skier I should be prepared for all sorts of conditions if I want to ski. I was a bit put out at this - surely there's nothing wrong in wanting gorgeous blue skies, sunshine and lovely deep snow as we got last year?

Don't let those hardcore types get you down - you'll notice if you _do_ go out when it's poor visibility the slopes are pretty empty, because most people prefer to be able to see where they are going!

I don wonder if there is a skier/boarder aspect too though. Without expection my boarders buddies are out everyday regardless and seemingly don't even noice the <3ft visibility - almost all the skiers prefer to wait out the weather in a nice cafe, the exception being two of our hmm, less cautious, friends shall I say...I have a sneaking suspicion that what this tells me is that in fact the reason they don't mind not being able to see is that they never look where they are going anyway! Shocked

aj xx
snow conditions
a.j.,
Quote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that what this tells me is that in fact the reason they don't mind not being able to see is that they never look where they are going anyway!

There may be more than a ring of truth in that comment!

The other conditions that I didn't like (and which were particularly hard on the kids too), was the day it got quite windy (they stopped the chair lift Shocked ) and the slope was that slanted ice rink I've mentioned before (the ski's wouldn't dig into the snow they just sounded dreadful running over the ice), and in the wind it was as though there were little razors of ice - I had lots of sun cream on my face, but it still really stung, maybe I should go back to sunbathing on a beach?
ski holidays
Personlly, I'm amazed more people don't go to La Ros...
snow conditions
Snow is more important for me, if I can't have both good snow and good visibility.

The blue skies and good vis are nice, but not that much use if there isn't enough of the white fally stuff to play on.
ski holidays
abc, Not necessarily.

We had lousy visibility almost all week this year, and I was skiing a resort I had never seen before - hadn't even heard of the one we skied at the first 5 days.

But I still preferred that to poor snow with good visibility.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being a girl I want it all!! Very Happy Very Happy Days of bright sunshine & pretty blue skies mingled with snowy ones & poor visibility. I like the latter to a)take the sting out of the sunburn & b)don't ask me why but I think I ski better when I have limited sight of where I'm going, psychologically have less to worry about I think Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney wrote:
Snow is more important for me, if I can't have both good snow and good visibility.

The blue skies and good vis are nice, but not that much use if there isn't enough of the white fally stuff to play on.

But that wasn't the poll. The poll was between AVERAGE snow and sunshin vs. powder and poor visi.

I'll take average snow and sunshine over powder and poor visibility any day.

Eeyore wrote:
don't ask me why but I think I ski better when I have limited sight of where I'm going, psychologically have less to worry about I think Puzzled

There maybe some truth to that. I was skiing in poor visibility all week last week. And I ski off the trail multiple times. Every time I landed on my feet upright and just skied on, unnerving but unhurt. It wasn't until I SLAM into a thick pile of heavy powder that I hear my knee crack...

No, I want to see where I'm going!
ski holidays
Quote:

I think I read something about there being a risk of avalanches that are small enough to run around the trees, but large enough to bury a skier.

Interesting point. I am not good enough to ski through trees (as opposed to down tree-lined pistes) but was out on raquettes one day last year, along a path running round the contour line, through quite thick pine trees. At several points snow had avalanched extensively down through the trees, creating great mounds across the path. I could climb over them (though I don't think any normal person could have skied over them) but questioned the wisdom of doing so. Certainly any one of ten slides along an area of path about 300 metres long could have broken the legs of a skier and/or buried them - not to mention slamming them into a tree. I decided to beat a retreat, wishing there was someone with me who knew enough to make a sensible judgement about the stability of the remaining snow on the slopes.
snow conditions
PamG, La Plagne last year, 5 out of 6 days were blue skies following overnight snow. The other one was icy in flat light but it's a fair trade IMO. So it could happe, you just have to be very very lucky.

PhillipStanton, That's what makes it so good!
snow report
abc wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

But that wasn't the poll. The poll was between AVERAGE snow and sunshin vs. powder and poor visi.

I'll take average snow and sunshine over powder and poor visibility any day.

Define "average" Cool

Since most resorts have no snow at all for 7-8 months, "average" could mean not enough to ski on.

"Average" has so many possibilities, it is a fairly meaningless term in thsi context, even if you are meaning "average for this time of year" - the difference betwen "average" snow somewhere like Sunshine Village (Canada), and somewhere like Glencoe is immense.
latest report
Quote:

Define "average"
between superb and very poor
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't reckon many piste skiers will vote for powder snow, but for off-piste bods like me it is the first requirement. Tree skiing in new snow is one of the best skiing experiences.. as long as the trees are well spaced. However it is regularly my experience now that I do a couple of turns and then try to find a way through and have to push my way through bushes or climb over tree trunks - especiaslly now that climate change is allowing alder and other brushwood to grow up into gulleys previously prized as ski routes. Mind you, occasionally this "combat skiing" can be quite fun (and no doubt character building).
snow report
As a man of similar persuasion to snowball, I've voted for fab snow and poor vis. That was a fair description for the best days' skiing I've had this year (which were also the best days I've ever had). Too much of the same is though too much of a good thing, and I'll put up with the odd day or week of blue skies too Wink . I do find combat skiing remarkably satisfying though - it's part of what makes off-piste so much more interesting than cruising the pistes. As a part time tourer though, blue(ish) skies are fairly important for that to be enjoyable - slogging uphill half the day for no views at the top (or on the way) is pretty soul destroying - and so would vote the other way if touring were my dominant activity. Touch wood though, I've been remarkably fortunate in only only really having had two or three days of touring in those will-sapping conditions.

So I'd really vote for "Don't care what the conditions are - as long as there's enough snow to cover the majority of the rocks"
latest report
snowball, GrahamN, count me in. I also like unpisted pistes, if you see what I mean.

I see voting for sunshine as a teensy bit selfish - you've got to wish what you don't want to experience (snowfall) on someone else to enjoy your skiing. It seldom snows solidly for a week anyway, and I'm happy to put up with my share (or more).

I suppose the best compromise is for it to snow all night and shine all day! snowHead
ski holidays
Definitely given the choice blue skies but am more than happy to 'put up with' a few days of proper snow - it's pretty to watch and you know it's doing some good. What I hate (as we had in Feb) is a combination of rain, mist and 'soggy' snow all week............and then brilliant blue skies the day you're packed and getting in the car to head home.
snow conditions
I like both... If i have a week of bad weather im annoyed though... But a few days of snowfall is great as the place is empty, and then when the sun comes out later its so amazing!
snow report
"May you have sunny days and snowy nights" was the welcome greeting sign in my parent's ski condo when I was growing up.
So as far as the poll goes, I choose both.

Here in Whistler the best days are often when it's horrible in the valley- thick low level cloud and raining. On days when you can get above that cloud cover, you can have a blue sky day that's very uncrowded on the slopes, since many people look out the window in the morning and say "forget it".
snow report
Having only just found this thread and been skiing last weekend at Morzine in pretty c**p visibility I must add my tick to toi the blue skies box. I will and have skiied in pretty much any weather - even in Scotland in the distant past but I do find my skiing goes to pieces when I can't see where I'm going esp in mist. I did try to get below the tree line and it does help enormously but from a leisure / holiday skiier perspective sun is nice Little Angel

One advantage however of crap visibility is that it does keep the fairweather skiiers off the piste and can give you that millionaires resort feeling when it does clear a little Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, good thread - like the topic
snow conditions
I voted for the better snow, it obviously would depend on exactly what the conditions were to be in the unlikely eventuality of having a choice.

Most of the time in the alps I ski in good weather with reasonable conditions, I certainly welcome the new snow when it arrives and enjoy skiing it even i average vis. A few metres vis when you can't work out which way is down and there are no trees to escape to is a bit of a different matter and reduces me to a quivering wreck. Embarassed
snow report
T Bar, I don't become a quivering wreck, I just start to feel very sick. As we came down off the Aiguille Rouge glacier just over a week ago, the light went very flat as we got onto the blue at the bottom. My legs were moving but my eyes had nothing to focus on and nauseau set in. It wasn't nice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy