Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using the Eurostar

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a great week in Tignes, however the only thing that took the edge off it slightly was the journey there and back. Looking ahead to next season, the Eurostar terminal at King's Cross should be open, which would be really convenient for me, only two hours on the train from Nottingham.

What's the deal with the Eurostar, and how about the snowtrain? Is it a sleeper service, do you have to change, and how much does it cost? Very Happy

If it's viable, then it'll be the way that I travel in future for sure.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is by far the best way to get to the Tarantaise region IMO.
I cna't wait for the Kings Cross terminal to open as it's just round the corner from my house Cool

There are direct Eurostar trains to the Alps - one day train and one night train each weekend but they are sitting service only.

As far as Eurostar to Paris/sleeper to the mountains goes:
There's a packaged service operated by RailEurope who run a chartered sleeper train from Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar comes in.

Or, u can DIY it and ride the Eurostar to Paris, take the Metro 9 stops to Gare d'Austerlitz and the SNCF sleeper train from there. This is usually quite a bit cheaper than the chartered service and offers more flexibility in train times. i.e. do u want to rush through Paris, stop for a leisurely dinner or spend a day there on the way?

The clientelle on the chartered service tends to be a little livlier, being made up entirely of British holiday makers. The SNCF service is well used by the French, often families and their intention tends to be to get the best night's sleep possible on the way. This service also has a First class option which, though not much more expensive, is a lot more comfortable than standard couchettes.
I tend to use first clas on the way out as I'm too excited to sleep otherwise. I use standard class on the way back as I could sleep standing up if I needed to Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin, When Kings Cross open's does Ashford AND Waterloo close for €urostar?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, I believe that's the case for Waterloo at any rate. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, Well that's no use to anyone is it!
After all no one from the North is likely to use the €urostar service are they wink (I think we have debated the sense of this before Laughing )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, nothing for it but to use our 4x4 gas guzzlers - we'll have paid the road tax, might as well make the most of it! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, What part of the North is that then.......Norf Lahhhndhan wink

Kramer, What was up with your Journey?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, corse mate, where else?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[anorak on]
The transfer to St Pancras (all international trains) takes place on November 14, after which Waterloo's Eurostar platforms will eventually be used for domestic services. Ashford will be complemented by the new £100m Ebbsfleet International station, north Kent (near Bluewater shopping centre and the M25) - not sure when Ebbsfleet comes into operation - and Ashford services will be scaled back.
[anorak off, revealing pasty-skinned geek-type torso]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, nothing in particular, just the whole being herded into a very small seat on a coach and a plane on the way there and back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, we have used the Eurostar service direct from Ashford to Bourg St Maurice overnight for the last 2 holidays. It is extremely efficient and allows an 8 day skiing holiday.
The main down point is the difficulty sleeping, and I have one tip for all snowHead s here - ask to sit in the middle of the carriage. There is continual movement of staff up and down the train all night and the automatic doors at the ends of each carriage sound a bit like the lift doors on Star Trek (remember those?) making sleeping at the ends of the carriages even more difficult. A good dose of alcohol however does aid shut-eye.

Some friends who skied with us on both holidays refused to travel by Eurostar again and this year flew - thus depriving themselves of tow great days on the slopes Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
U sed the overnight Eurostar to BSM a few years ago. Never again, numb bum and no sleep. I'd rather lose those 2 days skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
U should try the couchettes achilles, especially the 1st class ones - much more civilised way to travel Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't understand how you gain time going by train.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, because by travelling overnight, you arrive for first lift on Sat and leave after the lifts close the following Sat hence 8 days on snow without the need for 2 extra night's accommodation in resort.
From London to Moutiers or BSM, the journey seems very short to me, as the time spent eating dinner in Paris or sleeping doesn't seem like travel time. What remains of the normal tedium of travel is 2.5 hrs on the Eurostar and up to an hour on the bus from the station to resort.
latest report
admin, but planes fly on Friday evening too, and you can sleep in a bed at your destination! (Admitteddly, flights tend to be expensive on Friday evening).
ski holidays
But a large proportion of accommodation in the Alps is allocated 7 nights at a time. Even hotels will offer u a great price for 7nights and charge far more for individual nights tacked onto either end - if they're prepared to do them at all.
Those 2 extra nights can sometimes work out as almost as expensive as the intervening week's accom.

Also it's not exactly convenient getting to that part of the world by plane: the transfer from GVA is about 3hrs. So, by the time u add up checkin / security time, flight time, baggage retrieval time and transfer time it's usually about a 7-8hr journey. By train, checkin is far quicker so checkin, eurostar, metro and transfer come to about 4.5 hrs. The rest is made up of dinner in a Parisian restaurant or sleep so doesn't count as travel Wink

Why sleep at your destination when u can sleep to it?
snow report
I have done 3 days trips on the Eurostar Ski Train this month (£99 with LastMinute.com) and thought it was fantastic and a convenient, stress-free way to get to the resorts (skiied twice at Les Arcs and once at Courchevel). The seats are more uncomfortable than aircraft as they do not recline but you do get an airline style amenity kit to provide eyeshades and a blanket. Also, on all but one journey (when I was travelling with my GF) the seat next to me was free so there was room to stretch out a little.
snow report
... bungee cord
ski holidays
admin, good points!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy