Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro star + 2 bed apartment options?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

It's been a year or 2 since my last post here. The babies are now a little older (2 1/4 years) and (8 Months) so we've decided to get back to some skiing routine starting next season - HOOORAAAY. Now, with the wife being scared of flying and the drive being too far for such young 'uns we've decided to take the Eurostar direct day service from Waterloo to Bourg St Maurice.

We've always gone the package holiday route but are thinking about booking all seperate. There will be 3 adults: Me, Wife, Mother, 3 year old and 1 1/2 year old.

I wonder if any of you Eurostar regulars could help a Eurostar virgin with some q's please?

1) How far in advance can you book a ticket?
2) What is the average cost of a return for an adult in March?
3) Is it cheaper to book the train through Eurostar?
4) Is it cheaper to book an apartment/chalet seperately?
5) Does anybody have/can recommend a 2 bedroom apartment for rent in La Plagne/Les Arc or similar.

Many thanks for any replies.
Hope you've all had some great skiing this year.
Andy

PS - Why does Eurostar always come up as a link when I type it in? Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-03-07 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bored At Work, can't answer all your questions, not having taken Eurostar myself. But, it is a good 8 hours on the train, that's a long time for kids to be kept occupied in relatively confined space. From what I know from parents who did use it, you're a bit restricted in luggage space as well.

We've driven the last 5 years with kids aged 1 (twins) and a bump through to this Christmas aged 6 and 4. Yes its a long drive in a day but very easy over a couple. French motorways have lots of handy places to stop and let the kids run around for a bit. We drive as I hate flying and we can set our own pace and take what we want pretty much.

I think you can arrange this direct without trouble - if you're self-catering I can recommend skiamis who we booked with last year or Chalet Grandes Alpes who are a Dutch company who rent chalets - more expensive but lovely Chalets.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bored At Work,

We have had a few people in our place in Bourg who have travelled on the Eurostart and it definitley seems like the best way to travel - if only there was one from Dublin!!

2 br apartments are like hens teeth though and hard to find - Rob ( a SH in 1800 has one though) I'm sure he will be along soon
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply Boris and Kieran.

Boris wrote:
But, it is a good 8 hours on the train, that's a long time for kids to be kept occupied in relatively confined space. From what I know from parents who did use it, you're a bit restricted in luggage space as well.

Oh no... I was told by other people that getting the train was better than flying as you had more room to occupy the kids in - Madeye-Smiley . I didn't know about the restricted luggage allowance though so that's something to consider.

We drove to Les Menuires a few years ago and did the journey over 2 days (15 hours total drive time including ferry). Found it a relatively good drive but wouldn;t want to do it with the kids just yet, maybe in a few years.

Thanks for the link to the accomodation, i'll check it out.

Andy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bored At Work, certainly more room than flying, would check luggage as this is only what I have been told
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kieran wrote:
... Rob ( a SH in 1800 has one though) I'm sure he will be along soon

Unfortunately my apartment is only set up for 4 people; 5 wouldn't be possible, even if two of them were minis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bored At Work,

There is no limit on luggage with Eurostar, if you can carry it then take it on. We've travelled overnight the past 5 years and although you arrive tired you do get extra days on the slope.

As with all trains there are buffet cars and a corridor to roam.

If you were doing the day crossing then I'm sure the views etc will be a distraction.

We have always travelled in Feb half term and so have booked in July! but they are always advertising discounts out of the peak periods.

There are good bus links but with 5 of you a pre booked taxi won't be too different.

We generally get an appartment via Erna Low but I'm sure some direct ones will be available.

Have fun snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out HMC Residences/Hotels in Arc 1950. We loved the village. Little bit Disney-esque perhaps but certainly none the worse for that. True ski-in ski-out, with a proper little village centre (so you can pop down to the boulangerie in the morning Smile. We were there with a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old. The kids were both in ski school all day, for 6 days, and my sister was chuffed to bits with the standard of instruction.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so far for your replies. I've found lots of accomodation options from your suggestions.

Any other suggestions/hints/tips/costs regarding Eurostar greatly received.

Many thanks
Andy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eurostar is ok spacewise (think normal uk trains) and I've had no luggage woes as long as I didn't have skis to lug but the direct train is ~200 per person which is a bit steep. Bookable 3 (2?) months in advance.

If you can face a cross paris transfer (or possible overnight stay to break the journey?) then changing to normal TGV in paris is a good option - first class not much more expensive than 2nd and in 1st there is loads of room (2nd fine too, much bigger the estar). Discount tickets available when they first go on sale (again 3 months I think) make it much cheaper than the direct trains. Last week in jan when I went it was £145 cross paris, £220 direct day eurostar.

We have also done the sleeper from paris sucessfully with a young un(3 or 4 on the first trip) too - more space in the carriages and plenty of corridor space to run around in, plus kids get a full nights sleep and enjoy the bunkbed feel. Not sure abuot a true toddler though?

Food on eurostar is not that great but the food at the stations is fine.

HTH,

Jess
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy