Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hit on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

are you agreeing with Lizzard that boarders don't have any responsibility to take account of the fact that they have a massive blindspot?

No, I don't think this, and I don't think Lizzard does either. I am not much of a boarder, but I don't actually think there is a massive blindspot. Certainly not on narrow paths, where everyone is pointing planks straight down the slope. You can look down the slope (the way you're going) and can look back up the slope behind you much more easily than a skier can. Certainly you can't see who is coming down parallel to you, on your heelside, but that's up to them to give you space. That's no different from a beginner skier, snowploughing gently down a path, without the skill to look behind them, let alone do anything sensible about whatever they see looming up on them. On a wider slope, turning from heel to toe edge but heading downwards, you can see fine. I'm a pretty cr*p boarder and have never been aware of a problem seeing where I am going, and where best to pass slower slope users. I'm some way off wanting to blast past people on tracks, which I try to avoid. The problem for less than highly skilled boarders is that there is no equivalent of just going slowly down a track, skis flat and parallel, legs completely relaxed, then doing a gentle snowplough to slow down, without changing direction. I don't like running with my board flat; I have had some huge crashes that way. I also saw my sister in law go for a burton when a snowboarder did that just in front of her, on a track. It wasn't his fault, he caught an edge and she, being equally unskilled, wasn't able to take evasive action. I suspect many boarders would download rather than ride down a track (I certainly would, if it were an option). Everyone should download if there is an option, if their behaviour on the track down (be it skiing so slowly as to completely frustrate everybody, or blasting past and trusting people not to make an unexpected turn because they are too impatient to spend an extra 5 or 10 minutes) is likely to make them a danger to others.

However, the best way to avoid collisions is to ski somewhere where the masses don't go, or when they don't go there. As someone who is accustomed to loads of room on the pistes, I find places like the Espace Killy a bit unnerving, especially as they seem to have such a lot of skiers and boarders whose bravado rather exceeds their skill. It amazes me that there aren't more crashes, actually and I think most people are pretty careful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clara_jo,

Pole clicking..most likely done on a green path or rat track and you want to take the momentum on the flat path and not have to skate too far... and slow skiers might be snowploughing or...just plain slow...the faster skier behind clicks the poles so the slow skier is aware that someone is there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
I am not much of a boarder, but I don't actually think there is a massive blindspot.

In which case there's no need for skiers to pay particular attention to passing boarders on their heelside, other than the due care and consideration which they should give to all slope users.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
normally going too fast to even think about where someones blind spot is. think some of you need to chill and relax a bit, this sliding around on snow is an extreme sport, poo-poo happens, accidents happen, just enjoy it, why bother worrying and anylising about what may or may not happen Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
You can look down the slope (the way you're going) and can look back up the slope behind you much more easily than a skier can. Certainly you can't see who is coming down parallel to you, on your heelside, but that's up to them to give you space.

If they're coming past you then its up to them to give you space. Also I may look up the slope, see someone coming down faster than me and look back where I'm going, however, once they get closer I have no idea if they're 1m away from me or the other side of the slope but if I turn and hit them it's their fault. I try to ride on the right hand sde (goofy footed so this minimises the bindspot), however, if it is narrow and or busy I'll be turning more to cut down speed which of course means the blindspot is continiously changing. As you say there is no way (other than falling over) to cut speed on a board without turning conversely on flat tracks speed or momentum is more important to a boarder without the ability to pole or skate so they are less likely to turn back to the side of the track if they begin to drift.

I had someone click poles then shoot past on the blindside on a nice icy rutted track last week, I was about 0.5m from the side with a couple of metres on the otherside, this was the first time I'd ever encountered the pole clicking but if they keep that behavior up it won't stop them being hit and it'll be their fault too.

I had one collision in Selva, I was sat in the middle of the slope and someone clipped the tail of my board with their pole and went flying. I know what everyone's thinking on reading that: I shouldn't be in the middle of the slope and they're right. Except I'd just fallen over myself and was getting up to get out the way when he flew past too fast and too close. IMO people stopping in stupid places (especially unexpectedly) is the most common cause of crashes ad it's not just boarders that stop in the middle; there's a proportionally equivalent number of skiiers doing the same.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme wrote:
normally going too fast to even think about where someones blind spot is. think some of you need to chill and relax a bit, this sliding around on snow is an extreme sport, poo-poo happens, accidents happen, just enjoy it, why bother worrying and anylising about what may or may not happen Toofy Grin

I'm with you on this, this argument is hilarious and I can't believe the way it's exploded!

Pole-clicking??? Blind-spots??? Skiers better than boarders on tracks (depends on ability..works both ways!)??

I quite enjoy a narrow busy track, just blast down the very outside edge and get it done - no stress really. Counts for both board and skis...

Keep your eyes open, wits about you - that's it! Jeeeez Very Happy

Everybody stacks it as a beginner on the tracks, that's life, it's down to other skiers/boarders to be smart about it and make a decision if needed. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robbof, thanks for that, no doubt i will be looked down upon for daring to be inconsiderate on the slopes. now where did i leave my rules and regulations, regarding having fun on the slopes wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme wrote:
Robbof, thanks for that, no doubt i will be looked down upon for daring to be inconsiderate on the slopes. now where did i leave my rules and regulations, regarding having fun on the slopes wink

I find, sticking a summarised version on the inside of my gog lenses, ensures that I know the regs at all times!!!

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Robbof, you would find it easier to record them onto mp3/cd/cd, then you could learn them while actually on the slopes, but not above maybe volume level 1 on your music player though, dont want to annoy anyone with sound Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
basically unless you have a twist top head you can only see the way you are facing and see to the extent that you can turn your head. So on skis you can see pretty much to both sides of you and straight on (unless you are doing really wide turns I suppose). On a board you have the same head and obviously the same extent of vision, except that boarders stand sideways, facing 90 degress to the way the board is facing ....... now I think most people should be able to sort of work out there is potentially a big area that you can not twist your head to see wink Normally boarders twist and turn a lot and try to get glances of the piste, but a boarder who has been on a heel edge (traversing maybe across the piste) for a while will not be aware of someone likewise traversing in from heel side towards the direction of the boarder. To avoid crashes try not to come in from the heel side of a boarder and cut across the front of a boarder becasue the boarder will not see you and may turn in to you Very Happy it is safer to cut across behind the boarder becasue the boarder can not then turn in to you and you will then also be in the boarder's vision. Basically some one coming in on a boarder from the heel side and traversing across the front of a boarder is likely to find out where the blind spot is Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme, most collisions are of course caused by people on those skatey skiboard thingies wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, surely you cant mean the safest snow tools out there, have i not proven that they are safer than skis/boards already. sheeesh what more do i have to do wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="rayscoops"] I am not even going to try and understand that one Ray! I have read all the "arguments" here and have been snowboarding for 12 years, ski-ing for 24 and I still don't know what the issue is!

Maybe I do have a 360 degree rotating head, I just don't know it!

The same rules apply to a boarder as to a skier, keep your eyes open and be aware of whats around you, that's it really. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme wrote:
Robbof, you would find it easier to record them onto mp3/cd/cd, then you could learn them while actually on the slopes, but not above maybe volume level 1 on your music player though, dont want to annoy anyone with sound Razz

Impossible mate, my Ipod volume goes up to 11!!!!!

What about one of those bracket things that trainee London cabbies have on the front of their mopeds?? You could have the book with you at all times like on a music stand and even turn the pages as you ride!! Or would that create a blind-spot!!??

Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Robbof, it is the converging heel side traverse theory Very Happy . I normally do not have a problem either, only when someone traverses across the front of me when I am on my heel, otherwise you keep you wits about you and everything should be ok. Why did I not just say that in the first place Puzzled
latest report
Robbof wrote:
graeme wrote:

What about one of those bracket things that trainee London cabbies have on the front of their mopeds?? You could have the book with you at all times like on a music stand and even turn the pages as you ride!! Or would that create a blind-spot!!??

Shocked

damn you dangerous person,, what about the sharp edges Shocked
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Robbof, it is the converging heel side traverse theory Very Happy . I normally do not have a problem either, only when someone traverses across the front of me when I am on my heel, otherwise you keep you wits about you and everything should be ok. Why did I not just say that in the first place Puzzled

Ha ha, indeed! Very Happy

I just know that next week I am going to get wiped out on a track by a pole-clicking, "Attention" shouting, ski-skate/board Ipod-wearing, white-suited, drunk person - whilst riding heel-side in the fog!!! Skullie

I'm going to install some mirrors on my lid!
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
Robbof wrote:
graeme wrote:

Shocked

damn you dangerous person,, what about the sharp edges Shocked

Nope! I ALWAYS blunt my edges to the point that if you dropped my board ten feet into a pound of butter, it would not even dent the surface! Don't you have any respect for safety you lunatic?????

Very Happy
ski holidays
Robbof, i tip my hat in your general direction, not only are you as safe as a safe guy in safesville, but your also obviously at one with the enviroment. well done that man.
snow report
Robbof, I think you have been on snow too long too appreciate the pitfalls us learners (relatively) face out there, but just when you think everything is hunky dory - wallop ! physics rule no. 4 - (pink dressed skier) applies:D , ........ and that rule is that if some one is dressed in pink on the piste you will not be able to aviod them - no matter how many turns and changes of direction you make - it is impossible to avoid a collision except by having to ditch it Very Happy
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
Robbof, i tip my hat in your general direction, not only are you as safe as a safe guy in safesville, but your also obviously at one with the enviroment. well done that man.

You must have seen my latest boarding get-up then? Made purely out of Straw, string and beeswax! Quite a fetching look and definitely going to be huge next year!

With regard to the potentially explosive issue of warmth on the mountain I may have just touched upon, I overcame this by jetting out to the Arctic Circle to test how many thermal layers I may need before jetting out again to Europe for a holiday over Easter. Madeye-Smiley

Sensible AND environmentally friendly as the suit is made entirely from natural materials Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Sensible AND environmentally friendly as the suit is made entirely from natural materials

yeah i have a seal skin suit also
snow report
graeme wrote:
Quote:

Sensible AND environmentally friendly as the suit is made entirely from natural materials

yeah i have a seal skin suit also

Yup, saw them for sale but I went for the Polar bear pants instead ..
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't like running with my board flat; I have had some huge crashes that way.

Ooh no, you don't want to be doing that, certainly not! Mr Lizzard's advice about tracks and toe edges: push your hips as far forward as possible and sag down in your boots like a sack of potatoes - makes it easier to straightline and alleviates the calf burn. I drift a lot less when I try this - inelegant but effective.
ski holidays
Lizzard, are we still talking about boarding Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, as long as we arent talking about safety....lol
snow report
rayscoops,I assumed that was what he was talking about. Possibly I missed an opportunity there. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
PS graeme, that's a bit rich coming from a self-confessed BLADER!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, and your point is???
snow report
graeme, that you lot are a bunch of homicidal maniacs, frankly. Regardless of your injury rate to yourselves. Laughing
latest report
well i will take that as a compliment, you need to loosen up a bit, seriously. take the pole out your ass and enjoy life wink
snow conditions
Quote:

take the pole out your ass

I'm not the one promoting a sport which requires that sort of proclivity.

( Laughing Laughing This is about to turn into a blader-bashing thing, and I'm having nothing further to do with it!)
snow report
well it may well turn into a blader bashing thread, but what you might want to remember is that i am neither a blader, or own a set of blades Toofy Grin
ski holidays
graeme, somehow I know where this is going Very Happy
ski holidays
Best bumper sticker I saw in Tahoe:

"Cheney is a snow-blader"
snow conditions
is that a criticism of (Dick) Cheney or snowblades Very Happy
ski holidays
if you ride normal.. then taking the front of the board as 12 oclock them from 7 to 10 is pretty much your blind spot.. if your a beginner you aint gonig to want to be looking anywhere other than the next rut or bump and goggles will make it evenworse as you lose a bit of you proriforal (spelling?) vision.. i'd bear it in mind if you see an obvious beginner on a track or path..
if your a boarder and your going to hang a left across a path (riding normal) stick your arm out to let people behind you know, it dont cost anything..
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON,

Thats all that needs to be done.. simple things like that, to make people aware that there is someone else around and what their likely actions will be.

Common sense and a bit of courtesy. There are enough idiots out there as it is
ski holidays
In sierra nevada the other month when me and the better half was on a chair lift watching a young lad of about 6/7 yerars coming out of control down the slopes his dad shouting behind him to turn or fall over , then you could see it coming in slow motion, he was heading for a young girl of similar age Sad he hit her with some force spinning her of her feet a full 360 degrees then them both landing in a heap on the floor. the girl broke her leg and the boy was only winded but you could see in his face the upset and pain, the poor girl was crying her eyes out Sad , i felt very sorry for them as we have a daughter who will be skiing next year and it just makes you think.

Then the same day this peni5 coming down the slopes clearly out of control heading for a group of girls trying to steer out of the way but at the last minute hit a little bump and took on of the girls out at knee height, ouch, god knows how but she was ok only bruised apparantley he broke his arm landing Laughing some people need banning from the slopes or made to sit some kind of test before they are allowed on there own snowHead
thats my rant for the day over rolling eyes
snow report
It's not the kids fault. He's too young and too inexperience to know. It's the adult who took him there without teaching him how to properly stop. (Falling over isn't a natural thing to do, and isn't exactly easy while on ski).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy