Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy your lift pass

Poster: A snowHead
Still not got round to sorting out this years skiing, and rapidly running out of time before we are due to go.

Anyway, i need to sort out booking some lift passes for Les Deux Alps and was wondering where the best (ok cheapest!) place is to get them from. will be for the week begining the 14th.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Save the stress and get them in resort. By the time I added up my day passes including the discounted weekend ones at Ardent, I found I hadn't spent any more than if I'd pre-booked anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't pre-book them from Crystal - they charge more for them if you pre-book than if you buy on the coach or in the resort (both the latter are the same price). We moaned and finally got the difference refunded, but it took a great deal of effort. I don't know if other operators charge more for pre-booking, or on the coach.

We have renewable passes for 3V so I just renew them online when required.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It just took me 2 minutes to buy mine - bring a small photo although there is a couple of booths at the main office. It is right behind the main lift station (bubble car ones). Same price everywhere I think - 168.50 euros for 6 days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the_fatadder, if you're driving, get them from the tourist office in Bourg d'Oisans and avoid the queues. Otherwise, you can book them online from the resort's website. And they'll be the same price everywhere - stop being a cheapskate. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid wrote:
Don't pre-book them from Crystal - they charge more for them if you pre-book than if you buy on the coach or in the resort (both the latter are the same price). We moaned and finally got the difference refunded, but it took a great deal of effort. I don't know if other operators charge more for pre-booking, or on the coach.

We have renewable passes for 3V so I just renew them online when required.

....and be aware that if you buy them on the coach they quote the euro price but then covert to sterling at a horrendous exchange rate and charge your card the sterling price that they've just made up plus a percentage surcharge if you use a credit rather than debit card!! Buy them online in advance or get down to the lift pass office in resort for the best prices.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I prefer the word student rather than cheapskate:P, but i take the point. website it is.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, Yup - never use a card on the coach. I did once - never again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, We all get caught out the once....never again! (Actually been caught twice...once by the by in advance scam, then having decided never to do that again, by the buy on the coach scam!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got my Puy Saint Vincent passes online. Didn't really save any money but it meant I could upload my own digital pictures so no distress purchase of photos in resort. I picked them up from the tourist office on arrival.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ordered my 3v lift passes online last Monday arrived Thursday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
docsquid, Scarpa, homphomp, Not every resort is the same. Whilst I can't beat the internet price, I undercut the resort price quite considerably.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spindrift, Always nice to know someone honest.....it's the charlatans you have to watch out for! Perhaps we should rephrase the advice....never buy in advance or on the bus from one of those damn great TO companies who are out to get all your money!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spindrift wrote:
docsquid, Scarpa, homphomp, Not every resort is the same. Whilst I can't beat the internet price, I undercut the resort price quite considerably.

Sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean? Isn't the resort price or buying in the local ticket office (exclusing the TOs) the same as the internet price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shall be buying our pases on the coach on Sunday from Silver Ski who assure me that once the exchange rate is factored in it will be no dearer than anywhere else. Shall let you know.
snow report
gwaelod, You can buy a pass from ticket office at the mountain, but if you pre-book at least a couple of weeks before, on the internet, you are likely to get a rather large discount.

I work in a resort for the aforesaid evil TO, but I can undercut the ticket office price by a large margin. So if any of my guests turn up without a ticket they are best of buying from me.

homphomp, In most cases we try to offer prices lower than the mountain, and in my experience we never price them above the mountain. If you were sold a more expensive ticket on the bus you would probably be justified in asking for a refund. You should also be offered the choice of paying in local currency, either in cash or on a card. And, finally, if the TO's didn't exist skiing would get a lot more expensive for everyone.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, buy it from the lift office. Don't take the chance.

We usually go to the lift office ourselves but for some reason (laziness!) we bought them on the bus a couple of weeks ago on the way to Ischgl. We asked them to charge us in Euros and not convert it. We were assured that the cost we would pay was the figure stamped on the pass by the lift office and we'd be charged in Euros.

After the transaction the rep returned the payment slip which had a converson rate written on the bottom of €1.40. When challenged the rep said that was just for reference. Well basically the rep lied as we got our statement this week and the cost had been converted into Sterling by the TO at a rubbish exchange rate and charged to our card which worked out at £20 more for 2 lift passes than going direct.

I would accept this if we hadn't asked but the rep lied to us and I'll be writing to the TO to complain. I'll name and shame at a later date if necessary.
snow report
Hayls, I have it in writing, and I trust Silver Ski. There is a lot to be said for it Very Happy . In the past 3 years I have booked £25,000 worth of holidays with them (I am tour organizer). There will be 21 of us booking lift passes and we all know what the exchange rate is.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I have it in writing, and I trust Silver Ski

That sounds pretty thorough! We also knew the exchange rate and were not happy with what the rep wrote on the slip hence we challenged the rep again and they still assured us we'd been charged in Euros.
snow report
Hayls, On a 6 day pass I'm $64 cheaper than the the ticket office, but if you like wasting money go ahead.
ski holidays
Spindrift, Europe seems to be a bit different to the US in that the price of a lift pass is generally the price of a lift pass. You will not get it cheaper than the rate advertised by the lift company.

EDIT What is your best rate on a 3 valleys family pass?
latest report
Spindrift wrote:
Hayls, On a 6 day pass I'm $64 cheaper than the the ticket office, but if you like wasting money go ahead.

Ah. $...presumably in the states??? Totally different game out there to in Europe.
snow report
Yes, it does seem (from this and a few other threads) that the US seems to adopt the same policy to pricing as a number of third world countries - the quoted price should be no more than a guideline from which to negotiate down or (as in the case of tipping Wink ) up.

I have found one place in Europe though where lift pricing is a little different (as is most of their other operations) - La Grave snowHead . The most expensive place to by your ticket (€38) is at the lift office, the mid range seems to be hotel receptions (€33-35), and the cheapest is at the Guides' Bureau (€30)...although that may only be available if you've hired a guide through them for the day (€280 - still pretty good value) .

(edited to convert (€3Cool into (€38))

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-03-07 18:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
GrahamN,
It used to be cheaper to get the passs from the guide than with the discount offered with the Serre Chevalier lift pass for La Grave as well. Puzzled
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
Spindrift wrote:

Ah. $...presumably in the states??? Totally different game out there to in Europe.

I'd like to know why you think the US is so different to Europe? I've worked in both and it's pretty much the same in my experience.
ski holidays
Spindrift, I'm not sure how I could have paid for it in $, and besides, being ripped off is a bit different to knowingly wasting money for the sake of convenience. We were assured we would pay the same and to ensure that ourselves, we asked to pay in Euros. Unfortunately, the rep converted it anyway and then lied to us about it. If we'd been told the truth we would have gone to the lift office and bought it ourselves.
snow conditions
Spindrift,
It is as I amsure you know fairly common practice to disxount tickets in local stores etc in the states. In Europe this is not the case though there may be a discount for bulk buying.
I have never heard of a travel operator passing on the discount for bulk buying in Europe on the contrary it is commonly reported on snowHead 's that there is a rip off exchange rate. This may not apply to all travel operators and it would be a shame if you are honest but it remains very much a case of caveat emptor when dealing with tour operators for me.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-03-07 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
T Bar, You may get a discounted day pass in a local store but you won't get a 6 day pass, which is what most guests will want. You don't have to pay in pounds anywhere, so you can use your own exchange rate. Anyway, I'm off skiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spindrift, Well I have seen prices for day tickets in the past quoted at less than a sixth of the rate of 6 day tickets. I don't know how common this is.
The point about exchange rates refers to Europe and the point is that the tour operator does frequently not inform poeple that they are getting an inferior exchange rate.
ski holidays
I got £20 off a 6-day lift pass in Flaine by booking my accommodation through a local agency. I've seen similar options when booking direct in the USA.
snow conditions
Spindrift wrote:
Anyway, I'm off skiing

Good, one less TO rep's here to mislead people for the few hours.

The snowheads as a group are very well traveled and well informed. Everybody knows there's tons of discounts in the States if you look. TO's have the advantage they make their money by scouting the deals and profitting part of it, and still manage to give their clients discount.

Quote:
T Bar, You may get a discounted day pass in a local store but you won't get a 6 day pass, which is what most guests will want.

Here's an example, 6 day pass in Killington: $306 at the resort, $244 on the internet. Almost exactly the discount you quoted.

What you posted here doesn't exactlly help your (and the TO you work for) credibility. I'm not saying you purposely lied. But you're only presenting partial information. And you make it sound more authoritative than they're worth.
snow report
T Bar, no discount at La Grave with your Serre Chevalier pass any more. Jules asked last week.
snow report
Just an update. We complained to the tour operator about the rep lying to us and charging us in Sterling rather than Euros and they agreed to repay the difference without argument.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy