Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Palmer v Rossignol ?

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing hello fellow snowHead

okay iam getting a new board at the end of the season,

looking for a cheap one

was going for

Palmer pulse £179.00

or Rossignol Imperial Snowboard £119.00

should i save my money Rossignol, or go for what i think is the better pob keep longer board The palmer ?

discuss, Laughing Laughing

oh ps i have been boarding for 5 years, not had on since i was 22, butt getting back into it now Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Palmer are high quality and usually expensive. I think the Palmer is a current model where the Rossi is a bit older (1-2 years). For the sake of 60 mula I would go with the Palmer definately. The graphics are much better on the Palmer aswell Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a look at sierrasnowboard.com i just got a palmer p-line, burton mission bindings for £160 - had to split carriage with a mate, but there's some hell cheap gear in their sale. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cookie monster, have a butchers at www.bargainboards.co.uk - they do Rossignol stuff well cheap.

I have a rubbish board at the moment that I bought off ebay but saw loads of Rossignol stuff in La Plagne last week - the 'Circuit' board is a nice bit of kit and on the Bargainboards website it's only £130. Have heard Palmer stuff is good but haven't talked to anyone in person about the gear.

Rossignol stuff seems to be huge on the continent (La Plagne is full of the stuff) and I know they apparently do great skis so putting two and two together, they must do decent boards too, udging by just how many French shops sell them.

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on... snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PALMER! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Okay so update,

just got back from a nice trip from alpe du huez, tried both boards while i was out there, the palmer it is just felt soo much nicer in the park and down the blacks, just put my order in wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wise choice. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree. Good move
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well done!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice work wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im still besotted with my Luna. Bring back the snow!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it has finaly arrived wink
My Birthday wink
my board (palmer pulse) its soooooo nice, no bindings yet though ;-(
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg, sent you a PM regarding that web address.

Has anyone ordered from abroad? Been on sierrasnowboard.com and seen some awesome bargains but am a bit unsire on what taxes are likely to be added. Seem a GNU board for $165 with $85 shipping (just £125 in real money), which is an absolute bargain, but I'm unsure whether ot not I'll have a big charge slapped on by customs that will take it from 'ultimate bargain' status to 'slightly cheap'!!

Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
not sure if this is true,

mate ordered some sterio gear for his car from usa,

And made a name of a shop up this was on the shipping order,

customs questioned it when it arrived and said it was promotonal gear on a new shop he was setting up, didnt pay taxes on it !

not sure how the taxes work, but the gf just got me some bindings from usa, $40 for the bindings and $20.00 for shipping, seamed reasonable, and was still far cheaper than uk prices
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cookie monster, might just chance it. Even if I have to pay £40 or so in taxes (hopefully not) then the board is still cheap.

Fingers crossed....
ski holidays
Specialman, it depends on the amount and wether or not you can get the shop to mark it as a gift!
ski holidays
Swirly, will have to try that
ski holidays
Someone must knbwo the law with respect to import duty i.e. how much yopu have to pay and when you have to pay it. Unfortunately I'm yet to meet them.
snow report
Not at all relevent to this but I've noticed if you buy direct from Donek they give a price that includes all taxes etc.
snow report
Swirly, Donek have the right idea - good on them. Nice looking boards, but not the GNU that I want Very Happy Very Happy

Regarding import duty, make of this what you will: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

It looks like import duty will be VAT (17.5%), so on an £85 boards, it'd be roughly £15.
snow report
I ordered some glass from US once, and I had to pay UK VAT and import duty (not too sure how import duty though). Not too sure about import duty from EU countries
snow report
No import duty within the EU but you still pay VAT.

Importing from out side the EU you pay 17.5% VAT

If the shipment is over £1000 you pay the duty which on snowsports hardware is 3% in most cases.

Import duty and VAT are different things.
ski holidays
cookie monster wrote:
not sure if this is true,

mate ordered some sterio gear for his car from usa,

And made a name of a shop up this was on the shipping order,

customs questioned it when it arrived and said it was promotonal gear on a new shop he was setting up, didnt pay taxes on it !

not sure how the taxes work, but the gf just got me some bindings from usa, $40 for the bindings and $20.00 for shipping, seamed reasonable, and was still far cheaper than uk prices

Smart - now HMRC have him down as a business and will be lookin out for him for VAT, trading on ebay et wink
ski holidays
fatbob,

Would be but he has only done it once, and he is not a trader
ski holidays
Swirly, what does marking it as 'Gift' do? I take it that it doesn't register as much on the radar at Her Majesty's customs when it's got that on the box?

Will a shop mind doing that do you reckon?
snow conditions
kiwi1, Thanks for that, makes sense you'd know!

Specialman, AFAIK it means you're less likely to pay anything. Most shops won't but some will, alternatively if you have a mate the shop could send it to him and he repackages and sends it on.
snow report
Specialman wrote:
Swirly, what does marking it as 'Gift' do? I take it that it doesn't register as much on the radar at Her Majesty's customs when it's got that on the box?

Will a shop mind doing that do you reckon?

Problem is if its going by courier from outside of the EU the supplier weather it be a shop or a person has to supply an invoice and VAT or duty is calculated from that.

If you have a friend posting you somthing from out side of the EU and it is a gift then the best bet is to send it via normal mail in which case you don't need and invoice and said package can be marked as a gift.
latest report
Specialman, PM sent
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Based on the title of this thread...

For golf, I think Arnie would win. But if it's stand up comedy, then Ross Noble.

But seriously... Jim @ SierraSnowboards is a good guy, and should be able to help you out, if he can.

Another way round the duty/tax thing is to get the "invoice" made out for a small amount - say ₤50, even though you may have paid a lot more for it.
The drawback of this is that if the item goes missing/gets lost/damaged by the courier, then that is all they are liable to refund you for, because that is what is on the paperwork.

(not that I am suggesting you should do anything dodgy like that)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Another way round the duty/tax thing is to get the "invoice" made out for a small amount - say ?50, even though you may have paid a lot more for it. The drawback of this is that if the item goes missing/gets lost/damaged by the courier, then that is all they are liable to refund you for, because that is what is on the paperwork.

I may just do this. i'm getting itchy wallet fingers here, just want to buy the gear but have that nagging feeling I'm gonna get stung!!!
snow conditions
Get them to wrap it in Happy Birthday Paper,

then plastic wrap, it will look like a gift ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy