Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Older or More Nervous Skiers' thread

Poster: A snowHead
Can I come? Im a similar level Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The more the merrier, sure you can moon!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MK also offer:
Ladies Morning - Free Coffee & Biscuits
Thursday 10 - midday £25
Life begins at 40 - Free Coffee & Biscuits
Tuesday 10 - midday £25

details here

Linds & I partook of the ladies morning. Very busy though... there were all of 3 of us there Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle, is the ladies morning also open to men Little Angel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
actually, rayscoops I lied. You caught me out Crying or Very sad

There were four of us at the Ladies morning. 3 ladies and 1 gent Laughing
because there were so few of us, the instructor asked if we minded if a gentleman joined us Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hope for me yet then, I find the pistes in the alps too male dominated, even ladies week wink I shall bring my board along
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, can you cope with so many ladies at once though? NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a thought - how about a "nervous week" int he summer?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds possible - but where?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier, I'm betting on LDA wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, and Skiing and Ice skating all in one day Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Michelle, Excellent Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, ice skating hurts when you fall over!

easiski, are there really easy, non-crowded summer slopes in LDA suitable for the "nervous novice" brigade? I thought it was mainly a summer freestylers & boarders paradise for daredevils?
Quote:
...... the summer comes alive with a world famous boardpark on the glacier attracting freestyle skiers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, the glacier also has some nice blue runs as well. I think the prospect of the "nervous novice" brigade getting some skiing in in the morning and sunbathing in the afternoon sun would go down quite well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NewSkier, They're all over int he snowpark! there are also race clubs and teams training, but there's a fair bit left over - our glacier is apparently about 110 hectares or something (if that means anything to you).
snow conditions
Hi Folks, this idea of a trip of MK has been gently gelling in my brain, so I thought I would propose a date. I guess, although it will mean taking a days leave for some (me inc.) that we're not really looking at a weekend due to cost and busy-ness at the MK dome. So how about Tuesday June 12th? If for no other reason than its my B-day and I'll be 21 again!! wink I'm kind of hoping that there is sufficient notice in that as timing for most folks to be able work things around that. We can always think again if this won't do. How about it Spyderman, could you and Kitty manage that date? Once we have firmed up a date I guess we can always post a thread on the trips forum.
snow conditions
I think that'd be good for me too. Weekends tend to get busy with other stuff and as I'm freelance I can usually manage a day off like that.
latest report
Megamum,

If I can that's a tentative yes, but I won't be able to confirm until nearer the date, sometime in May (petrol share thing if you are still up for that)
snow report
holidayloverxx, No problems with the petrol share bit - seems much better for the environment. I know re: safety that folks say you shouldn't meet up with folks you chat to over the internet, but if you promise not to belt me over the head, I'll promise not to bind and gag you wink
snow conditions
Megamum, it's probably OK if you meet loads of them at once. It's one at a time in seedy bars and back alleys that you have to worry about.
ski holidays
Megamum,

I've seen your photo so I will recognise you - If you look scary in real life I can always pretend I'm someone else Toofy Grin

p.s. I promise I'm a girl

Lizzard,

You haven't seen my car rolling eyes
latest report
holidayloverxx, Great - I hope you can make it. B.t.w. - have just fully noted your tag line - do you dive? That's another of those things I will try one of these days - I did quite a lot of snorkelling when I was younger, but never got round to trying an aqualung. Is it that sort of diving you mean?
snow report
Megamum,

yep, that's it. I passed my PADI open water last year - did the whole thing in the Maldives Very Happy UK alternative was swimming pool and a quarry pit Shocked I was planning a second trip this april but the EoSB got my attention instead. I hope to do more diving later this year but its got to be clear, warm water
snow report
Megamum, holidayloverxx, hubby and I had a short intro in a local pool here, then did a day course in Tenerife in Jan 06 - the morning iwas n the coldest swimming pool on the island, and the afternoon was in a bay where we walked in across a rocky shore (not easy with all the kit!) and so didn't realise how deep we'd been till we finished and were told it was 7metres. I did enjoy it and am glad I did it, but it didn't 'hook' me like the skibug has!
snow conditions
NewSkier,

I don't think it hooked me in the same way either, but having a giant turtle drift by on my first open water dive was very special. I like to balance ski with sun so I will keep up the diving but wouldn't go on a diving holiday as such.
snow report
The best place I ever snorkelled was just across into Spain from France into the med. I nearly did the first level aqualung dives in Cyprus about 10 years ago, but the weather got rough on the day I was going to do it (which was our last day) and I had to cancel. I've never got round to it since. Its another pricey hobby (along with skiing and riding) and what with 2 kids and rent our rooms here, I think it will have to be one of those things I leave until later on in life, and hope that you can still learn when you are 50! Also, one of these days I'll pass my motorcycle test. I guess we all get a list of things to do. Still at least I'm now on skis Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Although I love swimming and feel very at home in the water, I got a bit scared of the thought of accidentally getting salt water in my mouth and needing to cough when deep underwater, resulting in a problem!!
latest report
Megamum,

I was 46. You have to have a medical certificate if you are over 45 (thats for PADI, not sure about other schools). I'm as fair weather a diver as I am a fair weather skier. The alst open water dive was very rough with strong current, even the instructor was glad to cut it short once I had done my skills. I didn't plan on drift diving while I was learning Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier,

I had same fear - never happened, in fact I found all the skills quite easy - taking regulator out of mouth, sharing the octopus etc. Somehow, once I was underwater it all seemed very natural. I think there was also the knowledge that in an emergency it would only take a few seconds to get back to surface if necessary.
snow conditions
Blimey, skiing, scuba, riding, motorbikes - it's like a bleedin advert for Sanatogen in this thread Shocked
ski holidays
NewSkier, Gray and I did out PADI course in Tenerife too, Gray enjoys it much more that I, the skiing's for me!
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, nah - second childhood in my case wink
snow report
FenlandSkier, give over a little - I'm only 38 - old enough to start skiing properly (though many here have been older I'm told), but hardly sanatogen material yet. No...I take one called Premtis!!
snow report
FenlandSkier,

I take beer and good red wine. It's never too late, and you're never too old Very Happy
ski holidays
Michelle, We didn't do the whole PADI course, just a taster day to see what we thought of it and if we could actually do it! We wanted to know in case we find ourselves in some part of the world like a coral reef or the Red Sea and feel we want to do a one-off expedition.

Neither of us got bitten by the scubabug though, I think it was hiding under one of the multitude of rocks on the seabed! That darned skibug, however, must have disguised itself cleverly as a patch of Serbian ice, or been hiding in a slushy puddle - cos it bit me with very little delay and no warning!
ski holidays
NewSkier, it just does that to you wink
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
...... and you're never too old Very Happy

Indeed. I know a guy of over 80 who despite fracturing his shoulder by falling off a chair he was standing on last year, has just returned from this year's trip with Masterski, and he didn't take up skiing until his mid-60s!
latest report
I think the scuba bug would take very little catching in my case - I swim like a fish (mostly underwater Laughing ) when I get a chance - no seriously.... I'm not a bad swimmer, and have always longed to scuba dive. I've got fins, a tempered glass mask and a good snorkel still from my snorkelling days and have been very tempted to snorkel in the last couple of years in the UK in a couple of spots - until getting knee deep and realising that it was just too cold!! I did once try a surf board in Newquay and that was good fun too, along with wind surfing, and gliding in my younger days - I'd do them all again if I had a chance.
ski holidays
I knew of a fella who until his early 80s was still playing rugby on a regular basis and was most upset to be told to give it up and only play tennis instead! Shocked Shocked

He was on a calendar they did of glamorous oldies, in full rugby kit! Cool
ski holidays
Megamum,

as it happens I dislike snorkelling - I can't put the snorkel under the water and can't bear the water getting in my mouth. scuba is very different, although you do use a snorkel on the surface. You can't use your snorkel mask for scuba but you probably coudl use your fins and the actual snorkel. You can hire all the gear as part of a course package. i didn't like gliding much - just going round in circles - boring. I tried waterski but my hands were too small to get a good grip on the bar - another time definitely though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy