Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April Powderfest or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, can someone please calm me down, is this too far away to be getting excited about the largish dump happening at the end of March?

Does the GFS do April Fools day Wink

Cheers,
Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes............ to far out
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, there is enough smnow for me. Stuff the powder i want blue skies Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
no you don't Frosty you really want fresh snow, plenty of trees in the area to help with the visibility Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, No honestly I don't. I want temperatures of about -3 during the day, no wind, and glorious blue skies. Last lift up, beer at the top, ski home in wonderful serenity.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, if (when) it snows I will show you the error of your ways Wink

You can have your blue skies at the EOSB Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, I can see the joys.....but its not my eyes that worry me, its the knees and the weight. As said before 125kg butt naked doeas NOT float through the powder Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I reckon if you wear clothes then it will alot more enjoyable, and probably not as cold.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes but the mountain would not be deserted wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear god rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty, leave it! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it dummped 2ft last april fools day, the one and only day of the season i wanted a blue bird day as it was the day i got married.

So will we hve snow for our wedding aniversary??? I hope so
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, I hope you're right. Glad about the snow in the PDS but here it's been pathetic, snowing lightly for days but just not doing anything worthwhile, just enough to ruin the vis without putting much on the piste. Same in Chamonix, I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The following post appeared today on the French skipass.com forum:

"GFS nous a ressortit les mêmes ingrédients que cette semaine qui se termine.

Même si c'est loin, ils nous ont fait un copier/collé, une photocopie, un double, de la situation de cette semaine pour la semaine du 4 avril.

Même position de l'anticyclone, même position de la depression au nord est de l'Angleterre, même descente froide, mêmes précipitations neigeuses, bref, la même situation."

So, are Snowheads weather watchers in agreement with this French conclusion that the picture building up for the week of 4 April has all the same ingredients as the week which has just ended? I know it's far off........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

So, are Snowheads weather watchers in agreement with this French conclusion that the picture building up for the week of 4 April has all the same ingredients as the week which has just ended? I know it's far off........

lets hope so, we've had some excellent condtions at long last in the Chartreuse with 50cm of snow

This is what we needed back in December. Ubergavage as they say around here. Is it any coincidence that el-nino has finished?
snow report
davidof, interesting point you make about el-nino! once i heard there was one starting last summer i knew this season would be a dodgy one. Glad you got some snow out there, could you please send some our way!
snow report
Pam w,

The latest GFS I'm watching for La Tania does show a big drop in temps, but it's still too far away, if it's still there this time next week and other forecasts agree I'll be a very happy bunny!!

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
GFS runs keep pointing towards some decent snowfall and cold temps, any of the resident experts care to share their views on this? Is it probable???

Regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 brian
brian
pam w wrote:

Sorry, a little late to this thread, I've been concentrating on Scottish weather recently.

I don't know what it showed on Saturday, but there are similarities with last week.

Essentially, all of the big 3 models are showing High pressure over Scandinavia and out in the Atlantic (GFS keeps them separate, ECM and MetO link them up over the UK) with low pressure trapped to the South over the continent by the start of next week. So looks like a reasonable chance of a fair amount of precipitation to come for the alps. Temperature will depend on how the various systems line up, disastrous warmth doesn't look likely but neither does remarkable cold.

12 days till I'm off back to the alps though, so I'll be watching with interest wink
ski holidays
brian,

If you could arrange some dumps like you arranged for LG wink for Valais and the Chamonix valley it would be appreciated.

Thanks wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
fatbob,

I've pencilled in a metre around the 5-7 April, that do you ? wink

latest report
well the GFS is pretty consistant that there will be precipitation around starting later this week Smile The 00z is a belter!!

ski holidays
kitenski, yes but i am worried about the temps from midweek
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kitenski, yes but i am worried about the temps from midweek

remember that

a) it will be April
b) that GFS is La Tania at around 1400m
c) I was skiing last Easter in the same area, was around 20 degrees by the end of the day, and could still ski down to La Tania, strip off ski gear and sit on a balcony with shorts and a beer

Very Happy

Will ski whatever we get, but it's looking promising for some powder fun!!

cheers,

greg
snow report
Now I don't pretend to understand these things one bit, however there seems to be a large spike around 5th April on the pic above. Where is this for? Only asking to see if I need to allow more time to drive to Chamonix on the 6th...

Cheers
snow report
IMT, my chart was for La Tania.
latest report
kitenski, Oh ok, so not a million miles from Chamonix then...

Ta
snow report
 brian
brian
IMT, kitenski, 45 N, 7 E is actually just a few kms from Sestriere in Italy.

46 N, 7 E is above Argentiere, so use this link for Chamonix:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

The 0.5 degree model can get you to 45.5 N, 6.5E which is very near Moutiers, but unfortunately you don't get all the ensemble members on these charts, they're pretty good at short range for cloud cover, wind etc. as well as precip though.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_065455_g05.png
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ah! Cheers Brian, so your 0.5 degree model is the best to use for La Tania??? Some googling got me the following co-ordinates for La Tania

latitude : 45,42829895, longitude : 6,59140015

La Tania (Latitude 45.41419, longitude 6.637980)
latest report
brian, Thanks, I think!! As I said, I can't make too much sense out of these, however it does look likely that something is expected to happen around the 5th/6th April - just as I'm driving there.

Here's hoping I have landed a bumper weekend for my last one this season!! snowHead

IMT
snow report
 brian
brian
kitenski, well you're right in the middle, unfortunately. I think 45, 6 (near L2A) might be slightly better as you'd be on the French side of the mountains.
snow report
 brian
brian
IMT, I'm heading out on the 8th, fingers crossed !
snow conditions
brian, where are you going?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, resort Y, Switzerland Cool Ok then, Grimentz.
snow report
im with Frosty the Snowman, its all about the sunshine from here on in.. get up n out early then hit the deck chairs with a beer.. be the last one down.. mind you 125 kgs!! that is some serious pie! wink
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, You can't beat a serious pie Very Happy
latest report
Hold off on the deck chairs.

Isola2000 had some of the best conditions of the season at the weekend. Was up there both days, snow showers on Saturday with a good 15cm overnight making Sunday very snowy!!
Snow and more snow
snow conditions
no deck chairs at least for the start of next week! Just had an email from j2ski.com, they are forecasting the following for Courchevel:

Fri: 4cm
Sat: 10cm
Sun 7cm
Mon: 26cm
Tues: 19cm

WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Powder rules will apply
ski holidays
kitenski, Its still too far away to say. The deckchair will hpoefully remain.
snow report
Quote:

The deckchair will hpoefully remain

Can see you now, Frosty the Snowman, in your deckchair in half a metre of snow. 'twill keep the beer cool. We have a post-wedding party coming to stay next week. Can't really call it a honeymoon when the bride is accompanied by her parents, her in-laws and her 6 year old twins.... half of them are complete beginners who have never seen snow. Never, ever, not a flake (from Zimbabwe). They are very excited at the thought of new snow but I did tell them that the sunshine and a deckchair, and being able to see where you are going, has something to be said for it. Snow rather hard and uncompromising underfoot this morning, some new snow will be nice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy