Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budding Snowhead seeks equipment(clothing) advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys..

I spent a week in Val T last january (first time on skis!) and massively enjoyed it, so i'm planning to get another week away this january - in Val D'Isere on the college ski trip. So i reckon it's about time to get myself some decent ski gear, hopefully before the sales finish - I'm a student so every pound saved is good news. I'm renting skis & boots, but need everything else pretty much (last time i borrowed gear). I guess a jacket and salopettes are the main thing..

So... does anyone have any recommendations as to what brands to go for? Are there any major no-nos or great deals at the minute? Also, do you think its worth getting gear that's a bit "above my standard" (after all, i'm only a beginner) so that i dont have to upgrade in the future?

There seems to be a pretty big range in the quality (warmth & breathability i suppose?) of ski clothing - i'm basically after something that will keep me warm and not look like it should have been left in the 80s, so I wasnt planning to spend a great amount of money - or is that just a waste of time, should i be prepared to shell out a bit more?

Thanks very much (and sorry if any of these questions seem a bit daft!)

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will get cold whether you are a beginner or an expert. Buy the best that you can afford. Remember that a number of layers work better than just one, and you will perspire, so try to get something that is breatable if you can.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobH, Hi and Welcome.

We've just covered this here although perhaps not with a limited budget in mind.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you get to one of the forthcoming ski shows? There are often some great bargains to be had, e.g. last year's gear being sold off at half price or less.

Southampton Oct 2-3
Birmingham Oct 8-10
Kensington Olympia Oct 13-17
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I opted for an unlined single coloured "Goretex type" jacket, so that it needn't be just for ski use. I just add layers underneath to suit the temperature.

I bought mine in France on a booze-cruise and got a good deal in the sports shop at the shopping centre at the terminal for the Eurostar.

Had great use from it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobH, Hi Rob. Now's a pretty good time to be looking as most shops are starting to get in next seasons stock, which means last years will be in the sales.

Generally you get what you pay for in relation to materials used, but on some occations you do pay for the name. Also clothing is the same for all skiiers, there's no such thing as above your standard - in fact as a beginner you'll spend more time standing around or falling over than a more accomplished skiier would and you'll be using more energy when you're on the move too.

I'd try to find a breathable waterproof jacket with a zip out fleece (you can use these off the slopes and at home too) with matching trousers. Get a long jacket, that covers your bum rather than a short one, and also look to get quality gloves 'n socks.

Have a look at Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham websites for some ideas - most of the stuff they stock is good quality.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as a student I kitted myself out with jacket and trousers in TKMAXX last years colours but normally good brands. Also try and get to one of the designer outlet parks as normally there is a helly hansen or similar which stocks reduced ski wear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you can also try www.ebay.co.uk for lots of bargins in sliding gear. Just stay away from those one-piece ski suits Wink snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got my jacket out of Matalan for like £35 - bargain! Last years colours - pahh! I dont even know what they were and im a shopaholic!

Salopettes- I got mine off some random website and they were really good, as for layers- I dont buy anything special - just hoodies and t shirts or a fleece etc

My only rule - dont skimp on your gloves!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bladeski, Dead right,
T K Maxx usually have a selection of last years clobber my local one has jackets and Salopettes in now.
Well worth a visit if you have a store nearby
As Nade says quality gloves a must (two pairs)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aldi's worth a visit
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slowplough wrote:

...... and socks. Don't scrimp on those. Get good quality and not the tube type. M & S did a good range last year - don't know if they're in yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Slowplough wrote:

I reckon you can get away with one pair of gloves although that's only if they have linings that will dry quickly (i.e overnight). I recommend you don't get Salomon gloves though because the ones I bought last year were really substandard and froze my hands off as compared to my cheaper random brand goretex gloves. Sad

On the other thread of messages on what gear to get (kuwait ian mentions it above), people have recommended renting clothing. I think renting is good, for trousers at least because that allows you to see what everyone else is wearing on the slopes so you don't buy something you'll regret later. I rented some brand new trousers from the Ski Exchange in Cambridge (~£30) a couple of years ago and they were fantastic. That leaves you free to pick up bargains at the resort for your next ski trip too. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got some waterproof, breatheable trousers from an army surplus store for about £25. They've got nicely flared bottoms (which velcroed up) so fit over my boots without any problems and velcro/zip pockets.

Available in black and jungle camo!

I was very tempted to get some surplus stock post office trousers which were being sold off as they'd changed their name to Consignia. They had a very natty Royal Mail logo on them. Unfortunatley the pockets were just holes in the trousers (they were designed to be worn over something else) and I didn't fancy a load of snow down my leg every time I arsed over.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowy wrote:
I recommend you don't get Salomon gloves though
As much as I love their boots and skis, I too found their gloves to be well below the quality I expected.
snow conditions
Agreed. Play safe and get a pair of "inner" gloves as well; dead cheap and make most gloves toasty.
ski holidays
There is a superb Killy jacket available on ebay. alternatively contact Cathy Coins, no reasonable offer refused and the leather shoulder patches are included in the price.
latest report
Scout for bargains in TK Maxx. You can pick up top quality gear for a fraction of the original price. I bought a pair of Quiksilver breathable fabric gloves with inners for £15 there last Saturday. You have to search, but it's worth it.
snow conditions
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone.

kuwait_ian, oops, didnt see that other thread - thanks. Is cotton a definite bad idea for a base layer then? what kind of thing would you recommend (all my t shirts etc are cotton)

moosepig, theres a chance I could get to the Kensington one (the one at the NEC would be ideal but ill be back at uni by that time). Sounds like a good excuse to go to London! cheers.

Dan, argh, did you have to mention ebay! I've just found these, which i seem to be strangely drawn to... Even if theyre no good for skiing, im not sure i can say no to Hot Pink.. Smile
But seriously, good advice re gloves. Last year i wore two pairs (the inner pair were slightly too thick, in hindsight) which seemed to work quite well. I'll look for a pair with a decent removable liners - as a rough guide, how much should I be spending to get something worthwhile?

Snowy, hadn't thought about renting, seems like it could be a good idea. I'm a bit weary of spending ~30 quid renting a pair of salopettes when i could pick some up from ebay for around the same price, though.. I think i'll pop into Ski exchange when i'm back in cambridge - do you know of any other decent ski shops in the area?

bladeski, Nadenoodlee, Slowplough - I actually had a look in TKMax for ski stuff before i went last time, but my local one seems to be pretty pants for that kind of thing - plenty of XXL sailing jackets, though.. I'm going into birmingham on saturday so i'll have a good browse in both Snow&Rock and TKMax then. Matalan could be worth a look by the sounds of things, too

I've got a much better idea of what i'm looking for now - a two-layered jacket seems like a good idea (thanks Ray & Marc), although i'm quite tempted to leave it for another year and rent one for this trip.

Rob

ps, ben, those Royal Mail trousers sound ace! Would definitely be the coolest on the piste, in a retro/ironic way.

And David, i think people might get the wrong idea if i turn up in a ladies jacket... Have to admit though, it does look rather spesh. Shoulder patches, eh? i wonder.... Cool
ski holidays
RobH, gloves - better to buy them in the resort, don't buy over here. You'll save some money but more importantly you'll have lots more choice. look to spend about £30.

Don't skimp on jackets and trousers, you'll get what you pay for. I also use my jacket most of the year so it's not just used for snow activities. Also look for a jacket with a snow skirt. I'd also recommend looking for a shell jacket, i find i only usually need the same layers as i would with a big jacket, but it's much more comfortable and not so hot and sticky!

As you're a student i'd go down the beg steal and borrow route, save the money you'd spend on clothes for more important things, let someone else make that investment.............good luck snowHead
snow report
If you can get to an outlet village they normally have a northface shop too i got my glove's there for about £30 almost £70 cheaper and they are the best i've had.
ski holidays
RobH,

Yes cotton's a problem as it holds the moisture (sweat) and you'll feel wet and also get cold when you stop skiing and cool down. I discovered this on my first skiing trip in January.

'Wicking' base layers are the way to go as they allow the moisture to move out and evaporate away. Even if your next layer gets a bit damp, the moisture can't travel back in. The technology is really amazing as the material feels really cheap and tacky when compared to a decent cotton shirt.

You can get them in long or short sleeves with various collar and zip options. The problem is that they're pretty expensive - between £25 - £40 for the leading brands from EB's and S&R etc, depending upon the style and spec.

I bought my wicking T shirts (made by Peter Storm) from Millets in their sale at two for £25. I used them in when summer skiing in Saas Fee in July and they were great. They're not quite as stylish as the top makes and don't have a fancy logo (says the guy with the Syder jacket!), but as they're covered up most of the time it doesn't matter.

The other benefit of the wicking material is that it dries really quickly if you need to wash them during your holiday.

I find that unless it's really cold (colder than -15) that I'm fine with a wicking T shirt, a light fleece (even better if that's breathable as well) and my shell jacket - on which I usually have the vent zips open.

If its been colder than that, or I'm going on a chair lift, I simply zip up the jacket vents and put my hat on. I was told that a good hat and gloves make a considerable difference to your body temperature and I've certainly found that to be the case.

As Snowy and U Brain, I bought a pair of Salomon gloves and they're a POS.

It's certainly worth a search through the racks at TK Maxx. I bought a pair of BGR Gear trousers (no I'd never heard of them either) for £19.99 and they've been superb after four weeks use.

Happy shopping
latest report
RobH,

I forgot to mention it, I've a jacket for sale. I was going to put it in the Buy, Sell & Exchange section and on ebay in a few weeks time, nearer the start of the season.

PM me you're email address if you're interested in a 42/44" Helly Hanson jacket and I'll send you the details and a jpeg.
snow report
RobH wrote:
Snowy, hadn't thought about renting, seems like it could be a good idea. I'm a bit weary of spending ~30 quid renting a pair of salopettes when i could pick some up from ebay for around the same price, though.. I think i'll pop into Ski exchange when i'm back in cambridge - do you know of any other decent ski shops in the area?

Rob, you could buy a pair of ski trousers for £30 off E-bay but like with buying anything from E-bay it's risky - it's hard to tell the quality from a picture. However I'm just a cynic who'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind. Blush

Cambridge has 2 ski shops
- the Ski Exchange which I mentioned earlier which is great if you've got a car to get there (it's out in the sticks) and has fabulous service especially for ski boot fittings.
- Two Seasons which is on the corner of Chesterton Road and that road that cuts Jesus Green and Midsummer Common in two (I forget the name). This shop is ok but isn't quite "Snow and Rock".

The nearest Snow and Rock shops are in Hemel Hempstead and Romford and the nearest Ellis Brigham is Milton Keynes i.e. all at least an hour away if you want more choice.

...and another thing, snowboard gear is much trendier than ski gear in general and is just as good for braving the cold and the wet. Salopettes went out in the 80's and are usually warn by men with beer bellies, meaning if they wore normal ski trousers, the waists would sit a little low and they'd get cold tummies. Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 24-09-04 11:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
There is a superb Killy jacket available on ebay. alternatively contact Cathy Coins, no reasonable offer refused and the leather shoulder patches are included in the price.

Hey - thanks for the promotion David@traxvax! Very Happy Did you also mention the high quality part-leather outer collar? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy