Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving from the Dark Slide to Two Planks

Poster: A snowHead
After ten years of boarding I have signed up for ski school. We're off to Puy St Vincent for my 5 year old to learn to ski. The mountian looks pretty small and the lessons are apparently good (and cheap) so I have signed up for 2 hours a day.

I had only skied a week on long skinny skis before learning to board which I found much easier as i found turning very difficult having had 2 operations on each knee and a ruptured cruchiate.

However, on a board i can't help tow my daughter or even risk waiting for her on some flatter slopes so I thought I'd try skiing again.

Also it may well give her some added impetus to learn if she can compete with Dad.

Has anyone else tried to go back?

Is there anything I should think about?

It is going to feel strange having independent legs and facing straight down the mountain and greens and blues are suddenly going to look very scary.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ashton parker, I wish you luck! my only attempt to go back was on an hours pass at MK snowdome, which, I have to say it went ok and I even managed the jump ! Would like to try again on the mountain with the non skinny ski's though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's fantastic news ashton parker.

I went from boarding to skiing a few years ago. Skiing feels so much more natural (for me, anyway).

I think being able to skate across the flats is a massive benefit plus I'd be terrified skiing through the trees on a board.

The problem with skiing though is that it's easier to twist your knees (I noted you have bad knees). It's also harder to look like a pro when you're not! wink Very Happy

It's good being able to look where you're going, isn't it! Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ashton parker, I have done exactly that. Firstly on snowblades (which are very convenient when skiing with the kids for walking around them and picking them up), then onto basic 150 fun carvers and now looking for something high performance.

I think you will find that boarding and skiing are not as different as you think and the combination of your boarding skill and modern short skis will make you much more competent than the last time you tried skiing. I'm sure you could just step onto some short skis and start having fun without lessons even.

Skiing is more versatile and I find more comfortable in poor conditions (e.g. bad visibility or ice).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend of mine switched from a board to skis a couple of years back and progressed very quickly. She said the main benefit of having snowboarded was not being frightened of the sensation of sliding, falling or picking up speed. Personally, I think her technique would be a little better if she'd been scared of the blue runs and stuck to the greens for just a little longer. Best of luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ashton parker, I have been boarding for the last eight years after trying skiing and not mastering it at all. However over a long week end in February and a 2 hour private lesson I think I have it cracked and have just been to buy boots and skis for our forthcoming trip at Easter. Hopefully I will be able to ski the hardstuff in the morning and board the softer stuff in the afternoon!! The board will always be first choice for powder days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the comments folks. I have no intention fo making a permanent swap unless I take to it like the proverbial duck but if I can get to a relativley competent level fairly quickly then i can see the benefits in being able to help suport the kids progression.

Fogliettaz, I agree. Boarding will likely always be my first choice and if we have a powder day next week then skis, lessons, children and wife will be dumped in favour of large board, comfy boots, goggles and helmet. I'm thinking on the same lines if I'm competent enough - skiing in the morning when snow is hard and icy switching to board when it gets slushy and I get tired.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ashton parker wrote:
I'm thinking on the same lines if I'm competent enough - skiing in the morning when snow is hard and icy switching to board when it gets slushy and I get tired.

Hmm in my experience boarding is more tiring than skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nessy, you may be right but I'm assuming as a competent boarder and an incompetent skier it will be less tiring on my board at the end of the day in slushy conditions which are easy on a board and apparently not pleasant on skis. I also assume different muscles are used or the same muscles but in different ways which means switching to my board will feel easier. I may well be wrong and just end up sledging or propping the bar up.

I agree that generally boarding is more tiring than skiing as a boarder can never relax even (or especially) on a relatively flat bit whereas I just see skiers stand up and relax in such instances.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ashton parker, you may be right about the different muscles. I think you might do better than you imagine though as long as you get some short skis with a tight turn radius.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am a competent boarder and an incompetent skier although I am trying to become competent in both disciplines. At present Skiing is more tiring than boarding. I am trying just to keep up with my children, although this is just a forlorn hope as I know this will never happen!!!!

ashton parker, I still wear my helmet and goggles whilst skiing and will continue to do so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fogliettaz, as will I. I am going to look slightly incongrous when I turn up to my beginners sking lesson in my well worn, duct tape supported hard-core boarding gear, helmet, goggles and camelpack. I think I will leave my probe, shovel and transeiver in the apartment for my first lesson though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ashton parker, I'm glad there is someone else out there going through the same as me!! I, too leave the backpack tranceiver etc in the apartment for lessons. After spending the last 8 years boarding and having nothing in my hands, my wife is now giving me a hard time with how I hold the ski poles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Best of luck you two. Learning again when you have something to lose is hard. I'm full of admiration.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ashton parker, I did it and the biggest buzz is learning something new. I was a pretty good boarder ie go anywhere, any conditions, piste map-less etc . My wife tried to board and it was a disaster. She surprised me after a terrible week in France and said she'd learn to ski. How could I not learn with her? Also, I have little kids like you and felt I'd rather in the future be a competent skier in my 50's with a dry bottom all day than a sad looking old man grovelling about with bindings, chairlift mishaps etc. (others will argue but thats how I feel)

But as a skier of now 3/4 weeks I have gone backwards in terms of mileage but I am absolutely loving it. I made a pact with myself that no matter how hard it gets (and it did and does at times) I will not board again. It has been good for my marriage as well wink
snow report
Skiing will be far easier than you remembered it and a lot of fundamentals like balance, edging etc will be hard-programmed now for you. In fact you'll have some advantages over skier only types as the losing an edge on ice and going into a side slide is hardly likely to freak you out.
ski holidays
just back from a very successful trip. Started in the beginners as I couldn't even work out how to put my boots and skis on properly. I did however pick it up very quickly going up a chair on my second day and joining the intermediate group by day 3 and relativley comfortable on reds by day 4 and even did some simple off piste on good snow.

It was also very good fun skiing with my daughter as she learnt at the same time.

Interesting points from my experience:-

1. I only fell four times all week. Once getting off a lift, once on the slushy piste and twice just standing still.
2. I nearly fell numerous times but managed to rescue myself without mishap. I presume this is due to my experience of sliding rather than a phenomenal sense of balance
3 Snowboarding experience gave me a huge advantage as I was noticeably more comfortable at speed, on steeper and longer slopes and did not need to keep traversing the piste before turning
4. drag lifts are so easy on skis
5. when getting off chairlifts and when shooshing I felt an irrestisable desire to turn sideways
6. skiing boots aren't as uncomfrotable as everyone makes out but
7. snowboarding boots are still much more comfortable and allow you to do more things (like walk and play with children)
8. turning in slush is hard when skiing
9. bumps are fun on skis
10 skiing is bad for knees but not as bad as I feared. I am however having trouble walking now that I am back but was fine while skiing.
11. what are ski poles for?

In summary a thoroughly enjoyable trip. I exceeded my expectations hence the smug tone to some of the comments (sorry can't help it) I will carry on skiing on week long trips with children but will still board on lads trips, when tired from skiing, on powder and slushy days.
snow report
ashton parker, Good report - sounds like you cracked it!
I was pretty good on ski's but i had a good few years gap (no winter hols Sad ) before i went onto a board, which I really enjoy and think I prefer. But I am really interested to see how I am on ski's again, I miss the speed aspect . Think I might give it a go next time... ITs nice to see someone who hasnt totally defected to the other camp and can see themselves doing both in the future.
ski holidays
ashton parker, well done ! I have been thinking about having ago at skiing just from an interest point of view and you have reduced some of my fears.

BTW my mate recently did the the reverse and as a skier he gave boarding a go and is still in pain three weeks later. He fell loads and said it is the hardest thing he has ever done.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy