Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sports Massage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First time ever on a ski holiday I treated myself to a sports massage. By the third day my calves, in aprticular,were screaming. While not as fit as last year, I 'd still done a reasonable amount of training before heading out to St Anton. I don't know whether the heavy snow conditions were contributing but my legs were lile lead after day 3. On day 4 had a sports massage and legs were fine for the rest of the week. the only word of warning sports massage hurts Embarassed but worth it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only had one once from a girl I knew who needed to keep her hand in (oi! not in that way!) prior to going off with the British Olympic Team as a sports masseur.

Hurts?! My God....it really was flippin agony! Took me a couple of days to recover.

I guess my muscle tone wasn't quite olympic standard
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dan100, from my own experience, my calves only hurt if I am trying to stand up in my boots all the time and this happens generally at the start of the holiday when I am not as relaxed. Perhaps part of the reason that it got better was because you relaxed more into your boots later in the holiday?

Agreed, Sports Massage HURTS.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A friend of mine at work has recently finished a sports massage course. While she was training she needed some guinea pigs to practice on. Ok I got a massage for free but agreed, it hurts!!! She had a go on my back because I climb quite alot and I was bruised for about 3 days!

Recommended though!! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have a girl that comes down to work to give people sports massages for free, as she has finished her course and needs experience, anyone in the leeds area that wants one for free PM me and ill find out when shes next in!

and ohhhhhhhhh they absolutely kill!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sports massage can be very good, but it's not cheap, and you need to keep having them - we found a book called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies (Amazon) which gives very detailed information about how to find trigger points in muscles which can be responsible for pain elsewhere. It takes a lot of work to understand, but is well worthwhile. We have, for example, found trigger points in calf muscles which were responsible for pains my husband was getting in his ankles and under his feet, in ski boots, but they are deep seated and need a lot of treatment. But some problems are very difficult to identify, and treat, yourself. An occasional visit to a good sports massage therapist and lots of "self help" in between seems to be the best bet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sports Massages are a method of treatment rather than a method of relaxation. To mobilise the tissues you have to, in certain circumstances, exert quite a lot of pressure. This is especially so if you have any long seated problems, old scar tissue or such that needs to be broken down. I once worked with a judo player who had once pulled a muscle in her back (Rhomboids) and handn't had it treated. It took 2 x 45 minute sessions of deep tissue massage to break down the scar tissue in the muscle before I could continue working on the rest of her back problems. Normally the sessions were an hour but after 45 mins she could no longer stand the pain so we had to knock it on the head.

pam w, the trigger point therapy you are talking about is widely used by sports massage therapists in their work and as you say releasing a trigger piont in the most obscure of places can relieve pain elsewhere in the body. It is also used to relieve tension in a particularly stubborn muscle before using other massage techniques on them. Before trying any of these methods yourself though I would strongly suggest a visit to a professional practitioner as unless you know the full implications of the techniques you are attempting and whether there are any contra-indications (reasons not to do it) for the particular client you could do yourself more harm than good.

Yes, a good sports massage can be uncomfortable and sometimes quite painful but they are definately beneficial, to everyone, and I would suggest that if you have the opportunity to have one, especially if it is free, then grab it with both hands.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100, You don't have to be unfit to get a muscular problem. I treat ski instructors and they are very fit, but still get problems which can only be sorted by a good sports massage. Do you do stretching after skiing - this will help.

Yes sports massage can be painful Shocked , but often problem muscles are sensitive to only light pressure. The aim of sports massage is to keep the sportsperson training and taking part in the sports they love. Thats why alot of professional sportspeople have regular sports massages as part of their training regime.

Just make sure you use a qualified and insured therapist. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My friend swears by massages after skiing and says that that and stretching is his new regime.

He is a big fan of Full Thai Oriental massages as well, tho Laughing...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Since I had a big road traffic accident 9 years ago, I've been having regular sports massage therapy. There is a lot of scar tissue in my back from the spinal injury, and the sports I do don't exactly help this (skiing - hard work on your back if you go quickly, and cycling - bad position for a bad back, motorcycling - hard work on your back if you are doing racy stuff, gardening - lots of bending). I also have damaged muscles in my left leg from the same accident (multiple leg fractures). Because I demand a lot of myself in the amount of sport I do (at least 10 hours of hard training per week, all year round), the regular sports massage really helps things getting out of hand.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100, funny you mention that. Was in St Anton the same week, and my calves were killing. Never experienced that anywhere skiing before, even tho I've been in heavier conditions than that!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charlatanefc wrote:
even tho I've been in heavier conditions than that!
Should there be an 's' on the end of that word... ?? Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy