Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

footbeds/insoles...

Poster: A snowHead
As you know, I have made a few postings re. ski boots. Although, there have been quite a few posts re footbeds/insoles, I feel that posts are sometimes "hijacked" and the real reason and sense of the posting is lost.

As you know, I bought my new boots last Thursday. I took some time over it as I didn't want to make the mistake as I did last time by buying boots far too big. They are a size 25.5 (3 shops confirmed this size) so I was happy with that.

The assistant was extremely helpful and very professional. She did a 4-point shell check and I tried on the boots (I had already tried on these boots once before and she kept them behind for me). When I bought the boots, she heat moulded the liners. She told me that I should wear them about the house to "break them in" and that ski boots lose 10-15% volume after about 15 hours (I presume this is 15 hours skiing). I enquired about footbeds/insoles and she said that these could be added at a later date.

I have been wearing them about the house and my feet do feel painful (tingling, pins and needles, numbness).

What I really need to know is:

Should I be considering footbeds/insoles now or should I just leave it for the moment? How do I know that I need insoles and what exactly do insoles/footbeds do?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need them.
They make your boots fit properly.

Use search function for lengthy threads, all of which will come to the same conclusion as the 2 points above.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, Good deals on footbeds can be found herehttp://www.carpages.co.uk/go.asp?session=4@3@69788@593198@192
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, I've skied since 1959 with every form of ski boot and generally use them straight from the shelf with no custom fitting or special footbeds. Sorry, but I doubt if inserting fancy footbeds would help you.

I think your points about numbness, tingling and pins/needles are an indictment of the ski boot industry. On the surface it seems ridiculous that you're suffering these issues 35 years after plastic boots came in. I wouldn't necessarily accept that what sounds like [insert caveat] a blood circulation problem from the boots is going to ease itself.

Your posting is another reminder why rear-entry boots were a good idea. I bet you'd have had more luck with rear-entry designs because they could be chosen to apply less pressure around the foot.

It shouldn't take 15 hours to break in a pair of boots, in my view. They should fit your foot from the outset.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd take David Goldsmith's fine advice - actually, why not just lash your walking boots to some 2m30 straight planks? That'd fit from the outset!

(Footbeds make a huge difference, really helping your foot - numbness and tingling might be a result of your liner restricting circulation while it breaks in, your shell being a little too tight in some areas, or your foot not sitting right in the base. Either way, a footbed will make your boot more precise and comfortable and may solve the issues you're having too.)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

I think your points about numbness, tingling and pins/needles are an indictment of the ski boot industry. On the surface it seems ridiculous that you're suffering these issues 35 years after plastic boots came in

How true! Did the old Leather ski boot's have these problems?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

jb1970, I've skied since 1959 with every form of ski boot and generally use them straight from the shelf with no custom fitting or special footbeds. Sorry, but I doubt if inserting fancy footbeds would help you.

You're very lucky to have "off-the-shelf" feet, then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely it stands to reason that many of us would feel the comfort benefit of custom footbeds/ insoles in all manner of shoes. The fact that boots can be comfortable straight off the shelf doesn't mean they can't be more comfortable with a custom footbed? They're not exactly a massive expense (within the context of new boots). See a bootfitter or Pedorthist and see what they think. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of points :-

You do not specify where the tingling and pain is,so it is not possible to know if an insole will cure this.

Conformable insoles are not expensive.

They are worth it in my view. I have used them in rear entry and front clip boots. I skied for many years without them;but they definitely did help relieve discomfort I started to experience. I have high arches and the idea of spreading the load also sounded plausible to me. Having said that I should point out that my boots were not uncomfortable when I intially bought them.

It is interesting to see David Goldsmith putting, for want of a better phrase, an 'anti-modernist' approach to boots.

I have a couple of humorous books from the 80s about various skiing character types. I will have to see if I can track down the one that might apply to David.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latchigo, Like you, I also have high arches. In fact, my arches are hurting just now and I don't have my ski boots on. I think it might be worth considering the footbeds/insoles.

The girl at Ellis Brigham will think I am a complete nutter, I have been into the shop twice since buying the boots to ask things.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How ironic - David Goldsmith recommending rear entry to jb1970 Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, Laughing Insoles not .........

Quote:
I bet you'd have had more luck with rear-entry

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd also recommend them to jb2007.

Actually it would be nice for consumers to have a choice, wouldn't it? You can get cars with rear-entry, but of course the idea that ski boots should have more than one design is madness.

I'm kind of glad that I lived through chapters in the ski industry when manufacturers had alternative attitudes.

It's a 'me too' world now. Bunch of clones making clone products.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not at all David. There is a hell of a lot of new technology out there and some very cutting egde products however retailers have to be very realistic about what products they stock so they are not left with piles of stock at the end of a season.

I personally think there is a lot more choice out there today. Look at skis. In the 80s they were long and skiny SL or GS. Now with off piste, park, all mountain, short fats, carvers etc etc there is a lot more alternatives than there have been for a long time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Footbeds aren't just for comfort - in fact the best thing I ever bought for my technique were a £30 set of custom footbeds. They are used to align your body correctly over the feet if you have slighty prolinated feet (which a huge number of people do). This means that rolling the knees across really does lead to simultaneous edge change, and not one going over and then the other a split second later. I'm not sure how much difference they would make for a beginner, but may as well start off on the right foot. snowHead
latest report
iblair, Is pronated the bow-legged or the knock-kneed one ?

I am surprised nobody has recommended cants for the newstyle, bow-legged, cowboy style which is the current fashion. The A frame stance is so last century.

Drifting away from the original question here though. I think jb1970 wants comfort before he starts looking at other issues.
latest report
Too be honest, I can't remember, as I've had them for years and the adjustment is very slight. Canting often doesn't adjust far enough to have the desired effect, at least not in my boots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy