Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you consider white ski clothing more dangerous?

Poster: A snowHead
In the recent sales I bought an all white ski jacket because....because it looks good. However I'm now beginning to think it might increase the chances of someone crashing into me because I am partly cameoflaged, salopettes are black.

Should I be concerned or is it pretty easy for you fellow skiers to spot people partly clothed in white gear?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PisteHead, I would be more worried about tomato sauce.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PisteHead, I'd be worried in poor visibility conditions but you should be ok in good weather
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
PisteHead, I would be more worried about tomato sauce.

I seem to remember your tomato sauce reference in another discussion about lending ski gear Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PisteHead, If there was a European standard for the viscosity of tomato sauce, then then my ski gear would be much cleaner wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PisteHead, sorry to say, but I do not think that white clothing on the slopes is a good idea, but at least you are not planning on all-white gear. I suggest a black hat to complete the ensemble (maybe a snowHeads one?) You may confuse a few people that have had one too many genepis but at least there's a better chance of spotting you in poor conditions wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman,

and the excuse for the eggs?

sorry - stick to thread. Opportunity to purchase snowHead stickers and creatively decorate the jacket?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PisteHead, I agree with TallTone, It is like wearing dark clothing at night on a country road.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Accessorise dahlings. Surely green & brown would be the colours not to wear this season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TallTone wrote:
PisteHead, sorry to say, but I do not think that white clothing on the slopes is a good idea, but at least you are not planning on all-white gear. I suggest a black hat to complete the ensemble (maybe a snowHeads one?) You may confuse a few people that have had one too many genepis but at least there's a better chance of spotting you in poor conditions wink

I thought as much. Looks like I might be posting on ebay.

Frosty the Snowman, you need gear rated at Isotex 90000 - sheds rain, water and ketchup!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PisteHead, don't take my opinion as the be-all and end-all! If you're really unhappy about your purchase, is there no way you can take it back? I know it was in a sale, but a lot of places will offer vouchers as goodwill even if 28 days have passed.

Another option would be to ski with a rucksack - obvious advantage at the back and the straps at the front should help.

I'm sure others with better imaginations would be able to come up with other ways to accessorise for visibility... unless of course you think that would spoil the fit of the jacket?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PisteHead, Just wear one of these over the top of it wink

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PisteHead,

I don't know how much you have skied, but how difficult have you found it to see people dressed in white?

I can't really comment as I only ski in good vis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PisteHead, I'd have thought the danger of being run into because of the colour of the jacket was tiny, unless you've gone the whole hog and bought camo netting and a shovel to dig a hole you could sit in.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TallTone wrote:
PisteHead, don't take my opinion as the be-all and end-all! If you're really unhappy about your purchase, is there no way you can take it back? I know it was in a sale, but a lot of places will offer vouchers as goodwill even if 28 days have passed.

Another option would be to ski with a rucksack - obvious advantage at the back and the straps at the front should help.

I'm sure others with better imaginations would be able to come up with other ways to accessorise for visibility... unless of course you think that would spoil the fit of the jacket?

TallTone, I really like the jacket - design, number of pockets and colour. However I hope to enjoy injury free skiing hence my interest in possible safety concerns fellow snowHead's may have.

Sage, blindingly bright!

holidayloverxx, I figured it shouldn't be that difficult to see skiiers in white and second opinions and your opinion has been helpful.
ski holidays
PisteHead, It'll have a genuine 'urban camo' look by lunchtime on day1 anyway - you'll have marks all over it by the time you've lugged ski's around, sat on various chair lifts, had any number of incidents with tomato sauce, coffee, etc....
latest report
PisteHead, To be serious, I have seen people in white one piece ski suits and thought they stood out OK. With your dark coloured salopettes and skis and boots I don't think there will be a problem with people seeing you, especially if you are wearing a coloured hat/helmet. In low vis people tend to go slower anyway.

snowHead
snow report
PisteHead, maybe a poll would be a good idea here? They always draw more snowHeads into a thread, we like to click buttons Wink
latest report
I really can't see a problem with white. The jacket is bound to have folds and creases which will create shadows and contrast, and the human eye isn't as good as spotting colours as it is at spotting edges and movement. And lets face it, if people are going to hit you they are going to have to be pretty close and then 3-D effects come into play in the field of vision and you will still stick out like a sore thumb from the background. Its not like you are trying to make yourself visible to a sniper at 5000 yards or anything Laughing
ski holidays
I dont think the chance of being in a collision is much more likely, if the visibility is a white out, i myself ski slower and tend to try and pick points ahead of me to aim for, making me more alert on the slopes. Stick to your jacket if you like it, Go on holiday and see how you get on, purchase a bright hat and rucksack and some decent body armour and see how many hits you take. Laughing
snow report
Make sure the helmet has a LARGE red blinky.
latest report
Having a jacket with red on didn't help me when a snowboarder decided t nock me off the piste from behind last week in st anton. good job it was only a 3 foot drop in to slush
snow conditions
............ and several skiers have done their level best to take me out during the past week despite the fact that I've been wearing lime green pants and a helmel which makes me look like the villain in SuperMario.

I should wear whatever you like if I were you.
ski holidays
PisteHead,

I have a white jacket and green salopettes and wore them for the first time in January - Danger wise I didn't find it any different to wearing my black jacket last year, the only problem I had was when the children wanted to give me a cuddle having just eaten three sticks of Kinder and were rather chocolatey (cue Mrs Bungle moving very quickly for the wet wipes wink )
snow conditions
On my recent trip to Austria I skied into a guy who was in a white suit, He was standing on a narrow piste in the tree line on a sunny day.
I skied into the shadow created by the trees and only saw him at the last moment as my eyes adjusted, He did not have his goggles on so his face was white too.

I tried to turn away but it was to late and hit him, thankfully he was a young man and we were both OK. I take responsibility for it as I was the moving skier, however he was well camouflaged and should have thought about that before he stopped where he did.

So I don’t like white clothing on the slopes.
snow conditions
Ahhh...standing still is a different matter. As I said, eyes respond very well to movement, so the moral of the story is don't stop...ever, keep skiing til the bitter end Toofy Grin
snow report
The type of clothing that camoflages best is that with broken patterns - see this a lot on country lanes where a plain brown or green jacket can be easier to spot than a brightly coloured broken patterned one. I can't see white being too much of a problem on the snow unless you are standing still.
ski holidays
So you shouldn't wear this, or people will ski over your head:

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=99177349
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never seen anyone wearing all white on the slopes wink
latest report
You could add some reflectors - many motorcyclists go with Sam Brown belts!!
snow report
You really have to look at it on a case by case basis.

This skier would have been far safer in a white suit.
ski holidays
petemillis, Country lanes - dark clothing - don't get me started - two weeks ago - just on the point of getting dark - one track lane - under tree lined section of road - DH & I driving home, go into the tree lined section and I catch a movement - 3 kids - each I guess around 13yrs or so - on bikes, no relectors or lights, wearing dark trousers, and camoflage hoody type tops with hoods up and casting shadows over their faces - they don't deserve to still be alive IMHO Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Where are the parents letting them out at that time of night in that gear and on bikes with no illumination?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
You could add some reflectors - many motorcyclists go with Sam Brown belts!!

maybe even headlights tail lights and indicators. maybe then a test Puzzled
maybe i am just too laid back, i never worry about folks ski/boarding into me. if it happens it happens.
2 rules in life
1, dont sweat the small stuff
2, its all small stuff
snow report
graeme, I'm sure it was on one of these threads that I read someone advising a high intensity cycle rear light for following folks down a mountain in poor lighting conditions.
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:

high intensity cycle rear light

Saw one for the first time this year on a guy's backpack. Maybe it was a warning to other slope users. He was all over the place.
snow report
graeme,
How about Mirrors on your ski poles or either side of your ski helmet. wink
ski holidays
too many folks worrying about too many things, cant believe someone could actually be worried about the colour of there jacket. i hope the op was actually joking, and all the comments after are humorous also. we go on the slopes to have fun, partake in an extreme style sport, yeah an accident might happen but so what. Confused
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
graeme,
How about Mirrors on your ski poles or either side of your ski helmet. wink

i actually use a helmet on the slopes, but not for safety.... my helmet has damn good built in headphones. keeps my head a bit more comfortable and warmer, prefer this to a hat and normal headphones. i might even get the red audex/bluetooth helmet, that way i can chat on my mobile and listen to music also. technology is wonderful
snow report
graeme,
I wear a Helmet also, Giro 9.9 Met Grey with Flames, cool. Reasons: Safety, more comfortable if wearing goggles, hate hats. Don't do music when skiing, upsets my rhythm, plus you can't hear what's coming.
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
graeme,
I wear a Helmet also, Giro 9.9 Met Grey with Flames, cool. Reasons: Safety, more comfortable if wearing goggles, hate hats. Don't do music when skiing, upsets my rhythm, plus you can't hear what's coming.

i can normally see whats coming, not very often i am being overtaken.....lol
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy