Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New resort every time or stay with what you know?

Poster: A snowHead
Last season: LDA, ValD, Chamonix, LaGrave/Serre Che, Gressoney/Alagna, Chamonix again + touring, ValT.
This season: LDA, Tignes, St Anton, Chamonix, La Grave/Serre Che, Gressoney/Alagna, La Grave again
Next season....probably something similar (although I may try to squeeze in a US trip over Xmas).

I guess I'm in the "stay with what you know" camp....just make sure you know a good set of places Wink .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's season number 4 for me here in WhistlerBlackcomb. I do 150+ days per season. There are over 8000 acres of skiable terrain.

I still go past stuff and think... "I haven't been down there yet".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TallTone, There's a few half the homes are owned by winter visitors, most people just thought it was going to be a rainy mess tuesday but instead the wind blew and groppel fell and since there were so few skiers on the Mtn it was great fun.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, What has been discussed in the thread so far is interesting psychology. What makes us return to the same resort year after year? It has to be the ski-ing possibilities of course but it is more than that isn't it? It is how one fits in locally - a regular friendly face in the local butcher's shop - the nice lady in the agency who remembers your name from last year - the local bar where you had a great time - total familiarity with the local ski terrain, where to go and where to avoid. An overall sense of belonging and being a small part of the community, like living in a cosy friendly and familiar environment.

We are great fans of Nendaz in Switzerland close to Verbier, and I am sure my daughter likewise will be hooked on Serre Chevalier where she has been working for this season.

So there's more to ski-ing than the number of ski runs runs. So when you find a resort that you feel in tune with the chances are that you will return again and again and again. It's a bit like being a member of your local golf club - you play there most weekends and don't get bored but occasionally it is nice tp play somewhere else isn't it?? Cool Little Angel Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAVID SNELL, I think you're bang on and as you correctly note with the Golfing analogy, it doesn't only apply to skiing holidays.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Always le Bettex for me - 15+ years
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the last few seasons its been a mixture of Chamonix, Tignes, ADH, LDA, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Meribel, Montarosa (Champoluc, Gressoney, Alagna), Verbier, St Anton and some other smaller nearby resorts that we drive to for the day. We pay homage to Chamonix and Tignes every year and include others to mix it up a bit. This year we also went on a recon mission to Morzine as next season there will be a 'pp' joining Mr and Mrs PP. I have to admit that Morzine (PDS) is not my usual type of resort (neither are 3V, Les Arcs or La Plagne), but as someone earlier in this thread said, as time changes so do your requirements and it is likely that we will be visiting these resorts more frequently in the future (bar Meribel!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are a bit of both. I don't get bored skiing the same run all day, provided I'm practising something. We both like going fast on groomed runs, so don't mind too much if there aren't mega-blacks or loads of off-piste available. We'll do blacks and a bit of off piste, but what we really like doing is carving on a lovely wide blue or red run. No run is the same, and you can always try and do better, or do something different, even on a single run all day. So, given that, it isn't too much of a hardship to go back to the same place. But, we also like going to new places and have just gone to a resort new to both of us and had a great time. We'll always return to 3V in France for our main holiday, and because of accommodation and the instructors we know there, but perhaps experience a new resort each year too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Usually a bit of both, but we have found 3 resorts now that we REALLY like, so whether we go outside of these remains to be seen (St Anton, Saalbach and Zermatt)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to Selva in the Sella Ronda twice now and thinking of going back next year. Its ticks all the boxes for us. We absolutely love the place, hotel, scenery, food, everything. There is masses of skiing (nearly 1220km I think) but not at 3V prices. I haven't actually been to the 3V, but have heard that you need a bank loan just for lunch!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970 wrote:
I haven't actually been to the 3V, but have heard that you need a bank loan just for lunch!!!

Plenty of places to eat at reasonable prices throughout the Trois Vallees, but if you do want to spend a fortune you can also eat in some very grand, and expensive, restaurants.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd second what rob@rar, has said about lunch in 3V. Even in Courchevel 1850 there are places you can get a panini for about 4 Euros. Plus you can always go to 1550 or 1650 or La Tania which are cheaper (apart from Bel Air), or blat over to Meribel or Mottaret for lunch. We've just come back from Kaprun in Austria and we paid similar prices there for our lunch as we do in Courchevel, but then we know where to go to avoid the "12 Euros for a small salad" problem, and we may have fallen like suckers for the expensive options in Austria. The point is you don't need a fortune to eat in 3V, or indeed, to do anything else either.

But then again, we didn't see groups of Russians with bodyguards in the restaurants in Austria either Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been skiing once or twice a year for 18 years (if only longevity was any substitute for talent Sad ). Choice has been based on a mixture of circumstances at the time or crossing off places on the wish list. So although in the past we have tended to choose different resorts, we have started to repeat ourselves and it does make the initial couple of days a more relaxing experience vaguely knowing where things are. For me the best holidays have also been linked to excellent snow conditions, which obviously can't be predicted, but generally are weighted in favour of the higher resorts, so I'm not likely ever to make a favourite of some small Austrian resort (and at least I know that if I'm having rubbish snow then everyone else probably is as well Twisted Evil )
Still on my wish list: Aspen, Vail (only had a day trip there from Breckenridge), Park City, St. Anton, Mammoth.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PamG,

I like your wish list - mine is Aspen, Vail, Snowmass, Heavenly, Mammoth then who knows - Chile, Japan Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keep going back to Jungfrau....keep trying new resorts as extras wink
snow conditions
Unfortunately, I tend to only be able to go once a year due to time and money constraints while I am at university so I end up just going where the university ski club decides is best for that year but that's not entirely a bad thing. There is so much choice out there that choosing for yourself can be very difficult indeed and I would just die at the selection on offer if I had to plan such a thing. Basically, it comes down to France for us because it's the easiest to get to with a coach (naturally) and offers a lot of choice.

So yeah, somewhere different each year but I would like to see what I know again - especially Zermatt which I went to on a school trip as my first ever skiing holiday. It would be really nice to see what it's like now I can ski and a bit older as I was only 14 at the time, to see if I can appreciate it more.
latest report
A bit of both for me. I like to return to a resort for a few more times before move on.

One week in most of resorts simply aren't enough. By the time I figure out all the interconnections and intricacy (and idiocyncrocy) of a resort, it's time to leave. So I have to return at least once pretty soon as a semi-old-timer, and actually ski the runs I want instead of happening upon them and/or getting lost. And the snow condition is never the same. So a run that's fun one year maybe boring or too tricky the next. It's like skiing a new resort again, only I now know my way around a bit better.

But after a few times in the same place, I would eventually get itchy to try some place else. Qutie often, it's a bad year that prompted me to start broadening my list of resorts. Once I move on, I tend to go to my "new favorate" a few more times in quick sequence for the reason above.

There're some resorts that are so consistantly good that when I'm out of ideas, or in a hurry to find a quick ski fix, that I automatically go back there. There's something to be said when you remember how many steps it takes to walk from the lodge to the lift. wink You're almost a local.
snow conditions
BTW, I don't think it's got anything to do with the skill level. Beginners return to the same resort because they had good experience and know their way around so they don't have to worry about getting stuck at the top of the lift looking down a black piste as the only way out. Expert skiers return because they know all the secret powder stash no one knows anyway so they have their own "private" resort within the resort.

It's usually the intermediate skiers, though, that aren't satisfied with skiing the same resort year after year. Those are the skiers who're good enough to exhaust the pistes in the resorts after a week but are not ambitious enough to go off-piste. So they are naturally wondering what else are out there in other resorts. They tend to travel a bit, just to see the (skiing) world. Nothing wrong with that. It's just part of the enjoyment.
ski holidays
I used to ski in different places every year. We finally bought a place in Canada this year and will almost certainly ski there for the next few years. I get to ski roughly 4 weeks per year total, so no chance of getting bored!
ski holidays
I've just returned from my second week this year in La Plagne.

There were several reasons why we returned so soon, namely the fact that familiarity with the resort would allow us to focus more on learning to snowboard than learning the terrain. The cost was also a major factor (although French ski resorts don't seem 'cheap' by anyone's standards), as we found a 7-bed apartment in Plagne Villages for £500 and sorted the flights and cars ourselves too.

However, our group has made the decision that for our new year trips we'll be heading to somewhere new (2008 will be Canada) and if we can afford a March/April trip, it will be somehwere like La Plagne that is cheap, cheerful but nonetheless good for boarding.

I've liked my two trips to La Plagne and wouldn't hesitate to go there again or reccommend it to other poeople. I do reckon I could become bored with it though, even if it is one of the largest resorts (as part oif paradiski) in the world. I think if we do go back thn we may go to les Arcs and do that side of the resort.

The best thing about this year was all of us being much better at boarding and having an exploration of Chmpagny and the Kamikaze run.

Roll on Canada...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy