Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, here's a question for the ski touring experts amongst you. I am basically finally getting into this sport, and I currently have Naxo NX21s on a pair of 1080's. I have a week long tour in the Bernese Oberland at the end of April, so need to get my gear sorted and need to start touring soon!

So, question about boots - I am on a budget and I have seen a very good (affordable) deal on a pair of new Scarpa Avants. I tried them on, they seem exceptionally comfortable and when you flick to ski, seem to be quite sturdy.

I am aware that the Avant is the bottom of the range Scarpa offering. My question is, what gets better on them as the price goes up? If it is the fact that they get lighter, then I am not too bothered about that. If it is to do with ski performance, then I'd be interested to know. I am quite a hard/fast skier with my downhill kit. I know that ski touring is not about flat out big mountain riding, it is more about the whole experience - going up as well as down. However, I just want to check I am not going to be compromising my skiing experience by going for some cheaper boots.

Any advice? In short, are the Avants any good for skiing on?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowmonkey wrote:
Ok, here's a question for the ski touring experts amongst you. I am basically finally getting into this sport, and I currently have Naxo NX21s on a pair of 1080's. I have a week long tour in the Bernese Oberland at the end of April, so need to get my gear sorted and need to start touring soon!

So, question about boots - I am on a budget and I have seen a very good (affordable) deal on a pair of new Scarpa Avants. I tried them on, they seem exceptionally comfortable and when you flick to ski, seem to be quite sturdy.

I am aware that the Avant is the bottom of the range Scarpa offering. My question is, what gets better on them as the price goes up? If it is the fact that they get lighter, then I am not too bothered about that. If it is to do with ski performance, then I'd be interested to know. I am quite a hard/fast skier with my downhill kit. I know that ski touring is not about flat out big mountain riding, it is more about the whole experience - going up as well as down. However, I just want to check I am not going to be compromising my skiing experience by going for some cheaper boots.

Any advice? In short, are the Avants any good for skiing on?

Thanks

The important thing is that your boots fit properly, whether that is a Scarpa Avant or another boot depends on your feet. You say the Avants feel comfortable so they sounds like a good choice (also check out the Vieux Campeur at Sallanches or Thonon, they have a 25% off sale in at least some of their stores at the moment.).

I haven't skied in Avants but have skied lots of other Scarpa boots so don't see any problem. Scarpa are probably slightly ahead in the ski touring boot game compared to Garmont although some of the Dynafits I'm reviewing at the moment should put them back on the map.

To put your question into perspective, I still use my TR10s which are nowhere near as good a design as the Avants and I regularly see people skiing on 2 buckle Koflachs and other such boots from the 80s (which offer zero support). If you are skiing spring snow or powder you can pretty much ski in slippers if your technique is okay, it is only in difficult conditions - crud, soup, ice, that a boot can make a big difference.

Now the Naxos- that would worry me! Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Avant is a great boot, no option for Dynafit bindings but altogether, a desent boot. They are made from a plastic called APILON/APIAX, this is a type of PU and is cheaper and heavier than PEBAX, however maybe more responsive. For the best skiability the Garmont Adrenaline or Endorphine are the best option. These boots are made with a standard PU-Ester, the same plastic as the most part of Alpine ski boots, so a better transmission and response.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Now the Naxos- that would worry me!

davidof, could you expand? Not owning touring boots (except Teles) I wondered if the walk mode on these would make skinning in race boots more comfortable than the ubiquitous Fritschis would.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
balernoStu, The dual pivot toe piece has had a tendancy to break, forces with an Alpine boot may cause this to be a greater worry. It's quite heavy and clumsey to ski on. I see the market dividing into three; Ultra lite(Dynafit), Mixed/Long Duration(Daimir/Fritchi, Dynafit FT) and Free Rando(Marker Duke.) The market is too split into three, with a small fourth for those still using Vibram soled Alpines.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had my first touring experience at Christmas in Dynafit boots and bindings: superb for going up, but a bug to control coming down!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balernoStu wrote:
Quote:

Now the Naxos- that would worry me!

davidof, could you expand?

I've used the Nx21s a bit this year or at least the Dynastar incarnation of the same binding. They climb okay but are pretty heavy so for your Oberland tour it depends on who your partners are? If they are hard core super fit touring guys it may be misery as they will probably be on lighter gear. That said a guy with Sk'Alp 8007 (pretty much a Naxo in an earlier guise !?!) overtook me the other day so it depends on your fitness level.

They do seem plasticy but I couldn't break my loan pair. However they are more a sidecountry binding than hut to hut rig. How many meters of vertical are you climbing per day? 1000m should be fine, 2000m and you'd better eat your spinach, pop-eye.

What price are you paying for the Avants? I think they retail about 240 euros so if you can get them for under 200 you are getting a good deal. They have a good Vibram sole - although soles have been a problem on recent Scarpa boots such as the Spirits the Avant looks a bit thicker. The inner is good, laced booty so you can use it around huts... I would expect it to pack a bit more than a thermo boot... maybe SZK can comment on this liner? The buckles are also good and positioned where needed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, fair enough. I might even just get some Alpine bindings for the skis in question (Atomic REX) and forget climbing on them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, The Spirit and current Scarpa range have switched to Skywalk rubber (Vibram being a Trade name). There is a slightly lower quantity of Carbon rubber in Skywalk, so i wears worse, but sticks better. i hear what your saying about lace up liner as hut shoe, but they fit badly and have a short self life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks a lot for all your advice! The boots are 170 EUR from Vieux Campeur, and they are really comfy (in the shop at least), so I think I'll give them a go.

However, bit worried about my decision to buy the Dynastar Naxo bindings. There wasn't a huge amount of choice in our resort and I didn't realise they were so heavy. Oh well, too late to take them back so I will have to get fitter!

As for our trip - we all live in the alps, but we are all novice tourers. One of the group has the same bindings, on Dynastar legends with Scarpa Tornado boots so he will definitley be heavier than me. Also, I think our guide has beefy all mountain skis and bindings. We'll see, hopefully I won't lag too far behind!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowmonkey, Play safe. Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, always..... wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy