Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do "phat" skis make a big difference in powder?

Poster: A snowHead
I saw a pair of these in a shop in St Anton. Surf boards not skis. I suspect if Frosty went down it would be prudent to clear the piste wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith wrote:
GrahamN, how did you find the fats/phats/pfats on steeper powder - hard to tame speed or a tight rhythm?
No problem at all taming speed on steeper powder. Only problem I found was when on the Verdicts I tried farming some heavyish powder alongside some nice 'S'es that had probably been laid down with some Pocket Rockets or the like - got myself a rather out of shape trying to manage that Sad .

And of course the monoskis should be great at this kind of stuff - it's what they were invented for!

The first time I ever came across 'bottomless' powder I was on the 78mm Legend 8000s and it was a doddle and huge fun - but I was bricking myself that I'd do something stupid, fall off and never find them again. It's when the 'powder' gets heavier, grabby and less predictable that I find the fatter skis make the most difference - blasting through crust/powder-slush etc was an order of magnitude easier with the fatties than with the 8000s, as stuarth said above. Now in the market for some lightweight 93mm skis to mount some Fritschis on Cool .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amungst all the demos I'm bringing to the EoSB the narrowest in 90mm and the widest 110cm. I'll convert you all. Very Happy It's all about girth my friends.

Re the cutting edge shops in the UK. Have to say along with of the ones already mentioned, Freeze in Edinburgh is up there with the best as is 47degrees in London.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Do you like Morecambe and Wise? Yes, I thought so.

Eric once lamented that there were no funny men anymore, only funny lines. While that might still be true in the professional sphere, I'm sure he would change his mind after a brief browse through this forum Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
That's one of the best posts I've seen from you in a long while, DB. Credible, authoritative, honest.

I'm going to shock you now by saying that I got all those sensations and advantages from the monoski, and even more power from the feet locked on a single deck. People slag off monoskis, but by keeping them fairly tight to the fall-line (i.e. avoiding traversing between turns), or by doing big round turns through the deep, they can be sensational fun with a calm upper body.

I take the polo off for apres, by the way. A nice open-necked cotton shirt is perfect for the intimate warm environment of a Zermatt bar.

Well thank you very much David.

I too can see all the benefits of a mono-ski and would probably ride one too if I wasn't hetrosexual.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ebay link to monoboard
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
I too can see all the benefits of a mono-ski and would probably ride one too if I wasn't hetrosexual.

Nice of you to question my sexuality, DB.
Just as a technical note, monoskiers (male or female, straight or gay) keep their legs together but - more to the point - they have a lot of difficulty with pelvic thrusting actions. They don't have sex at all.
I first mounted (if that's the right word) a monoski in 1978. Rear-entry (if that's the right expression) didn't 'come' into my life until 1979, in the shape of the Salomon SX90, though there was a bit of foreplay with Hanson boots a couple of years before - very smooth entry with the silicone spray which Hanson supplied with the boots (you think I'm kidding?).
I first had sex with a woman (what business is it of yours?) in 1972. It would have been a year earlier with a girl in Val d'Isere, but things got slightly problematic in a chalet room. There's a lot more to that story which I'll relate in a pub sometime - certainly not here.

Was there any other technical information about monoskis you required?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith,
Quote:
a bit of foreplay with Hanson boots...
Ah yes, I remember those. They were those strange self mouding jell liner thingies. Friend of mine had a pair and used to spend ten minutes every morning screaming abuse at them when he tried to get them on his feet. Same procedure in the evening as well. Obviously he should have gone for the silicone spray!
So is this thread now mutating into the when did you first have sex thread? My first time was in 1975 ( age 15 ) somewhat facilitated by the blood THC level of all concerned Madeye-Smiley I guess these days that makes me a late starter Confused

P.S Fat skis are GREAT, and they have not yet made me gay. But I'm watching out for any changes in my behaviour.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith,

Thanks for the story of your sex life, it's hard to believe such a sex symbol, polo neck wearing ski icon as yourself was a virgin until 32 years of age. Glad it all worked out once you managed to get the top off the silicone spray.

PS it's your turn to get the beers in at the next mono-ski convention.

http://www.monoski.net/desktop.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice poster. Thanks for your interest

As Mike Lawrie mentions, Hanson boots were almost impossible without the silicone lubricant spray, like dry sex, so I can't imagine what his friend was up to. Maybe he bought the boots secondhand and never knew about the spray.

The reason for the difficulty in entering these vagina ski boots without the spray was simple. Hanson boots had liners like giant condoms - fat black synthetic rubber.

It sounds worse than it was. The boots were skiable and a huge novelty of their time (especially in terms of design and colour) so they commanded a stratospheric price, just a few years after man first stepped on the moon. The only problem with Hanson boots was that they held your foot and lower leg like glorified wellies. Meanwhile, Salomon had a virtual R+D university working on something ten times better.

Sorry, back to phat skis. If it stands for "physically attractive", what's physically attractive about skis that look like planks?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did DB screw up the page width?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Did DB screw up the page width?

I'll own up - it was comprex with that big ebay link a few posts ago.

David please talk us through this 1982 (give or take a few years) pic of you .....

http://www.monoski.net/images/action/pic003.jpg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sure, but it's not a monoski. My left phat ski had fallen off

The skisuit is from the Jef Wickes 'Cirencester B&Q' collection
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much for clearing that up David as to the untrainned eye it looks like you were escaping from the fashion police or skiing for the Jamacian Mono-ski team.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jamaica?

No, I was monoskiing on my own initiative.
latest report
Mono ski days used to be a standard tour company offering a few years back.

I was never tempted because they looked incredibly difficult to use. So, I take my hat off to anyone who can get on with them - homosexual or heterosexual.

I think snowboards killed them off. It is so much easier to progress with a snowboard, whatever your skill level.

David Goldsmith Too much information ! Your post will inevitably draw the question 'When did you first have sex with a man ?'. A little reticence on some matters is a good thing.
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
David Goldsmith 'When did you first have sex with a man ?'

Funnily enough, the only serious attempt - certainly not initiated by me - was on the overnight sleeper train from Inverness to Euston after a weekend's skiing in 1976.
A wealthy London banker started plying me with drink in the bar and then I realised why! Luckily the compartments were lockable.
snow report
David Goldsmith, What is this 'Jerry Springer' ?
snow conditions
Quote:

Luckily the compartments were lockable.
David Goldsmith, Phew...you don't want folks walking in on your first time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Latchigo,

Totally agree that reticence is a good thing and somethings are best left unsaid. That's why I'm glad David hasn't mentioned his Tesco carpark (Cirencester) goat incident yet. Wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 23-03-07 14:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
The train incident was quite interesting. The banker, it appeared, used that line quite frequently for the overnight commute to London. After I'd locked myself into the compartment, the attendant for the carriage kept knocking on the door insisting that the banker would love to continue the conversation. I reckon he was bribing the train staff to help in his seduction enterprises.

I got to Euston the next morning and saw the poor banker stagger of the train, drunk, and marched rapidly away with my ski bag and weekend bag.
snow report
I'm sure it would make a good film - a latter day 'Brief Encounter' rolling eyes
snow conditions
'Phat man and the Phag' Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
GrahamN, I've just spent 4 months reducing my weight from 74 to 68 kilo's. Now your telling me I should be 86 kgs to suit my Missions! wink David Goldsmith, 1972? Me too! Was she a phat women?
snow conditions
My first was in an alfasud 1.5ti with a phugly bird.
ski holidays
To me "phat" skis are an admission for all to see that you have yet to learn to ski powder. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Dypcdiver wrote:
To me "phat" skis are an admission for all to see that you have yet to learn to ski powder. Madeye-Smiley

For me skinny skis are an admission that you haven't been skiing enough in the last few years (unless your name is Glen Plake) wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Currently developing a theory that for off-piste you should look for a skis that's about the same underfoot in mm as you weigh in kg - based on the fact that I also found a huge difference in the soft stuff between 88 (BD Havocs) and 93mm (BD Kilowatts, Stockli DP Pros) underfoot, but gained little more going up to 97 (BD Verdicts, Dynastar Legend Pro Riders).

Well, it works for your big boys. But for the 5', 50 kg girlies, that would make all skis phat skis?

Obviously not. Even my GS skis from the late 80's has more than 50mm waist.

Besides, that's not counting the fact skis come in different length. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the length that should go with the skier weight, not the width.
ski holidays
Dypcdiver,
Quote:

For me skinny skis are an admission that you haven't been skiing enough in the last few years (unless your name is Glen Plake)

Your right, I only got 9 weeks in last season and this one looks even worse only 5 weeeks so far, I spend more time skiing though than wandering around ski shops seeing what is trendy this season! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
abc, ah you spotted the flaw in developing a theory from one data point!!!!

Being a bit more serious, I think the important thing for soft snow is how the ski surface (so width is a gross simplification) area matches the weight - whereas for harder snow it's probably more related to edge length. But yes, for 5' 50kg girlies, I do believe pretty much all skis much bigger than a snowblade are phat skis. There is another point about ski width - in how it matches your foot width. If your ski is comparably wide to your foot then it's a very different movement getting on edge than if it's significantly narrower, which may make a significant difference to how they feel, particularly on piste. I hadn't really appreciated this until last week, when someone pointed while in the sauna that my feet were definitely "plates of meat"...they were about 50% wider than his, and we were not far off the same height (hence the looks of dismay on bootfitters' faces when I go in for a fitting Laughing ). So someone with 70mm wide feet will get a quite different sensation when edging on 95 mm wide skis compared to me with 117mm wide forefeet. (Think about where the pivot point is, and that your foot is a way off the ski, then you see that the narrower foot will actually lift away from the snow surface as the ski is tipped, whereas the wider foot will get closer to the snow surface).
latest report
I'm not sure that's correct, though hasten to add that I'm no mechanic.

Since the foot and lower leg are locked into the boot shell (which itself is solidly clamped to the top surface of the ski), the edge-to-edge leverage comes from the leg rather than the foot. I don't think the width of the boot sole would affect the amount of side-to-side movement of the lower leg needed to change edges, or hence the speed of that change.

If a ski boot allowed a significant amount of rocking action from the ankle joint, the influence of the foot width might be more significant.

But, as I say, over to a mechanic?
ski holidays
I think GrahamN has a valid point. Wide feet blokes ended up with wide boots. They have more leverage for edging. My feet isn't particularly narrow for my size (5'4). But it's no match for GrahamN's 110mm flipper. (He probably doesn't need fins for snorkling wink )

To add insult to injury, shorties like me has proportionally shorter legs, too. So it feels like I need to REALLY angle my knee in order to edge even a 76mm "midfat" on piste!

Fortunately, as GrahamN's imperfect formula nonetheless suggests, I really don't need a 110 width phatty. Anything above 80 will probably be phat enough for me. And if I go over 85mm, I'm pratically skiing on two monoskis. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 27-03-07 15:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, yes I think there's a fair bit in what you say. One obvious place where the foot width is irrelevant is that the boot is fixed into the ski by pretty much the same sized binding, but I think the important thing is where you experience the application of pressure by the body, and a fair bit of that pressure goes directly through the foot. When you put the ski on edge you feel a definite pressure on the edge of the foot (maybe proportionally less with a race fit boot - I don't know), and even I certainly feel a huge difference in how the foot moves comparing my slalom skis to something like a 95mm ski, particularly that of the inside foot. For the same edge angle though the amount of lateral movement of the leg is pretty much the same, but the relative position of the foot and the pivot point are quite different.
latest report
Following on from "mountainbugs" original question about "are phat ski needed?" - I ski a lot and know that fat skis help you float (tried some ridiculous if very fun K2 pontoons the other day - more like a pair of kayaks than skis) but I dont think that was what she was getting at, isnt free-ride skiing heading more to an all mountain ski that will carve on-top of the snow pack at high speed - so not requiring the width of a pair of snowboards strapped to your feet - just the guts to pull it off?
latest report
I like my 'phat' skis - they are pink and purple and have pretty pictures on them! Little Angel

I've also been told that skiing the K2 Pontoons is an orgasmic experience. Shocked
snow report
in garbure we trust, funny you mention kayaks, one can surf the top wave or slice deeper...
snow report
pollittcl,
Quote:

I've also been told that skiing the K2 Pontoons is an orgasmic experience.

I suspect your doing something wrong Toofy Grin but I'll let you decide which Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy