Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stoeckli Rotor

Poster: A snowHead
Was in the Stoeckli shop in Waedenswil last Saturday. They have some 2007/8 skis on display now. The Rotor line has been expanded with a 70mm wide version added. The 76mm model is supposed to be a bit stiffer at the shovel. They also have more subdued colours. Strangely though, there were no discounts forthcoming on the old model while the other 2007 ski models now have 30% off Puzzled

Since 1996 I have been mostly hard boot boarding but in the last few years I have done more and more skiing since my kids have started. Initially I was on Blizzard Carvalino snowblades then last year I got some Blizzard B52s ( http://www.blizzard.at/goto/de/produkte/05_06/alpinski/fun-style-_-learn/b-52 )in 150 just for the convenience of releasable bindings. Surprisingly I really enjoyed skiing them compared to the 20m+ radius 190 "carving skis" I last tried in 1997 and have hardly boarded since.

I now want a longer wider ski that will be a good carver and give reasonable flotation in powder. The Metron B5 naturally appeals. I tried an M10 (170) on my recent holiday and really enjoyed that on and off the piste. On the other hand it would also be nice to go with Stoeckli since they have such a good reputation and the Rotor seems to be the obvious alternative. I am 86KG and 1.78m so the 169 would be my choice.

So my question. Has anybody skied the Rotor? Any comparisons to the Metron range?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nessy, haven't tried the Rotor but I think it would be worth your while to try the Scott Mission. Bit wider than you're looking for, but that wouldn't matter as it performs unbelievably well in all conditions and radius of 14/15 m. Sportis in Richterswil has/had them (Dorfstrasse, next to Migros)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nessy,

Haven't tried the Rotor but Stockli haven't made a bad ski that I've been on. The Snake BC is a very useful cool ski as well. You might have to ski it a bit harder than the Rotor (educated guess, IMV) but none of these skis are hard work if you have a reasonable technique. The Mission is a doddle and a good ski as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a link

http://www.skisharp.com/stockli_skis/SS_Rotor.htm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, not sure about the Snake BC as the sidecut looks a bit long. I tried some Armada twintips 170cmx86mm before the Metrons and couldn't get on with them at all on the piste (which will be the majority of my skiing) but they had a supertanker 26m radius.

The Missions look interesting and clearly have a good reputation. How would you expect them to compare to the Metron B5. I was maybe going to leave this until next season but given the current situation I might see if I can demo some this weekend Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nessy, don't make me green - we were due to head to Laax tomorrow but the lurgi has knocked us for 6 so I don't think we'll be making it Sad And we have over a foot of snow in our garden atm

I'd have to ask Mr Eng about a comparison as I haven't skied the Metron and he has. The Scott is a much lighter ski, if that makes any difference to you. I'd have thought the only difference is that the Scott would perform better off-piste as it's wider....

If you are thinking of going to Sportis, might be worth giving them a buzz today as they mount the skis if they haven't got a pair already mounted. And they're open from 8 on a Sat, and have a locker for returning the skis after hire if they're not open.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nessy,

Never got round to the B5 so can't say. But it is a very heavy ski. The Mission is liked by everyone as it is very docile. I wouldn't worry if I were to find myself on it but I'd be looking for others in the rack first. It does ok on the piste..others love it there, but for piste oriented skiing from the Stockli shop try an XL. This is a stiff ski and it rails hardpack. The BC is very manageable but mirrors the Mission in its all-rounder stats.

If you can turn up at a Stockli Test Centre they are very knowledgable and will put you on the right ski if you tell them what you can do.
It doesn't help to cloud their judgement. be staright with them. Anyone with more than a few weeks under their belt should be able to make sense of the Snake and Mission. The XL might bite back if you take a few too many liberties especially as you should be skiing it in 174. That might be a big ski for you.

The M5 seems to be a love or hate it ski. I know people who loved it nut still sold it...??? Others dismiss it as heavy freak and some just will not have a bad word said about it. ALL, say it is very heavy. and its hardy needs demo bindings to add to that, either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, I did note the weight of the M10s. They were heavier than the Armadas and they weren't light either. Weight is more of an issue to me in the car park but it can be significant since I often have a lot of kids stuff to carry as well.

The Metrons had a binding plate on them which surprised me at their width. Likewise Stoeckli want to sell a plate with the Rotors.

eng_ch, may have to see if Sportis are selling off any demo skis. Stoeckli said I could get an ex demo Rotor for (half price) i.e. 500CHF ish.

Hoch Ybrig has 1.5m new snow since Monday and it is still snowing Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nessy wrote:
Hoch Ybrig has 1.5m new snow since Monday and it is still snowing Very Happy

You can really go off some people...... It's bad enough sitting here feeling rotten and watching the snow out of my window. Hurumph.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, my roofbox currently contains a pair of 178 Missions on hire from Sportis. I intended to go with the 168s but they kind of insisted that I take the longer ones. Will see how they go tomorrow but not sure where yet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nessy, kewl! I don't know how tall you are but I'm 5'6" and ski the 168 Rosa - my other skis are 155 so they are designed to be skied longer than a slalom ski, for instance, would be. The extra length causes me no problems whatsoever. Mr Eng skis the 183 at 6'4" and is more than impressed with them.

I guess Hoch-Ybrig would make some sense as you could try the Missions and Rotor back to back
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, that's reassuring about the length. I'm going to Hoch Stuckli as they have 1m of new snow and I haven't really skied there this season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nessy, have fun! I shall be working on my health and workload to ensure I can get out next weekend Wink I'm not jealous at all. I'm not. Really.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sold on the Missions. The length was not an issue. They have quite a long nose and a rounded tail so maybe the effective edge is not so long. They let me get away with murder in the powder and carved pretty well also giving a fairly plush ride once the pistes got bumped up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nessy, Very Happy

We really must have a Zurich snowHeads meet-up...
latest report
This thread is looking increasingly badly named Very Happy

I ordered these:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300090624387
Should be about 450CHF delivered once they take off the German Vat.

eng_ch, I apologise if you have some kind of special relationship with Sportis. They were helpful and friendly but the best they could do was 650CHF for the 2 year old test skis. I don't feel too guilty have paid for the rental anyway.
ski holidays
nessy, no worries, we got ours from Sportis rather earlier in the season. I've found in general all the Swiss shops are poor at end-of-season discounts - last year Bär were still quoting me 850 excl. bindings on Fast Thangs (i.e. no discount) and I ended up getting them from Ellis Brigham which came in at under GBP 200 incl bindings and delivery. But Sportis are knowledgeable and friendly so I cultivate them a bit. They also effectively give me 10% off everything as I'm in their Stammkunden database which means they credit you 10% of everything you buy in a year against a purchase in the following year. I just find it refreshing to talk to people who are enthusiastic and have decent stock (same applies to Stöckli) instead of your usual Ochsner apprentice

Actually I think you've been quite lucky with eBay there as the majority of this year's Missions were sold out before Christmas
snow report
eng_ch, I agree. Although Stoeckli seem to be better at the end of season and of course they have a large choice (as long as it is Stoeckli Happy ) Stoeckli will give a 10% discount on full price stuff as a matter of course. They also sell off ex test and rental stock at half new price. So I could have got ex test Rotors for around 500 with probably a lot less wear than those Missions at Sportis.
snow conditions
nessy, Stöckli, of course, don't have to worry about margins in the same way as they don't have to go through an importer or rep Wink. This sort of chimes innto one of SZK's threads - if there is a huge difference in price then it's a bit daft to pay twice as much, but all other things being equal I prefer to support our local businesses (being one myself). We paid more than you have, but then we've had a season's fun out of them already. Swings and roundabouts. Mr Eng got last year's model as this year's were sold out but he got a decent discount and they were brand new, not ex test.

BTW you out on the slopes anywhere this weekend? We've got a friend over so will prob manage Sat and Sun (if I can get off Snowheads and get down to some work Wink )
latest report
eng_ch, turns out my ex test ski has a hole in the sidewall so now they are offering me a new 05/06 model with a used binding for the same price. I quite agree about supporting the local business. At least Sportis got the rental fee out of me so I don't think I abused them.

If I ski by myself (instead of en famille) it will be Sunday morning from lift opening until 12-12:30. The choice will be between Hoch Ybrig and Flumserberg as usual. If the valley run stays open I might pick Hoch Ybrig. Not much chance of me having my Missions by then though.

If we all go, I may well just go up to Ibergeregg as my youngest has only just started. So a nice quiet cheap easy lift is the order of the day.
snow report
nessy, please see the PM I sent you.
Thanks a lot.
latest report
nessy, we think we'll prob be in Hoch-Ybrig on Sat and Laax on Sun. That's the current plan at any rate.
snow report
The Missions turned up today. New 2005/6 skis (whose graphics I prefer anyway). The ex rental Scott S12 rental bindings looked hardly used. A good deal for 299Euros Very Happy
snow report
eng_ch, I thought you were in Serre Che last weekend, a pair of Missions, and a pair of Rosa's were parked outside a restaurant.
wink
latest report
Helen Beaumont, spooky Shocked No, they'd have been up at Hoch-Ybrig though... Planning on getting up a mountain on Sat tho as I usually end up working on my birthday and I lost Sunday to work too Sad In fact I've not had a day off in 3 weeks....
snow report
eng_ch, I think Friday morning will be my opportunity to give them a spin. Probably at Flumsi.

BTW in true Swiss style they were just left on the doorstep while my wife was out.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-04-07 22:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
eng_ch, bad news girl. Off to Lancaster Uni Languages dept with Richard tomorrow, so my day off is taken up too.
latest report
nessy, I'm SLEEPING on Friday ! Laughing But if Sat is in any way viable for you, drop me a PM - maybe we can meet up sometime!

Helen Beaumont, good luck to you and Richard - is he looking at both French and German? Happy to try and help if he has any questions (bearing in mind it's a while since I was a student)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Postscript: tried MY Missions yesterday at Flumserberg and I am very happy. When you are on the piste there is quite a lot of nose not doing anything so I guess that is why they ski shorter. With the S12 bindings they are not too heavy either. I would describe them as the ideal ski for ex boarders Smile

Probably wraps up my season unless there is a compelling reason to go next weekend. Currently the forecast is for 21 degrees here so I probably won't go. Lets hope the next one gets going before March.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy