Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major 'European Snow Atlas' to be published in October

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The European Snow Atlas 2005, a book of ski resorts and how to drive to them, is published in October.

It contains a map section that covers the whole of Europe. There is a 60,000 places index for towns, cities and villages, which can be used to locate any of 500 ski resorts, but also functions as an everyday UK/European atlas to plan journeys at any time of the year.

The snow section contains resort profiles and detailed route planners to use in conjunction with the Collins mapping section. There is a drivers' guide, a ski and snowboard products section, cross-channel details, a fly drive guide, travel times and mileage counts to resorts from set points.

The price will be £12.99. This is what it will look like. The publisher is Ice Publishing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
European route planner ......

http://rp.rac.co.uk/routeplanner
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If its like the last one then it is has some pretty silly mistakes in it. My copy spelt Val Thorens as Val Throens and claimed the Matterhorn was the highest mountain in Switzerland, whereas surely its the Monte Rosa? The maps are ok though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lewis, you are quite correct, in fact the specific peak is called the Dufourspitze and is 4634 M compared to the Matterhorn at 4478 M, The Monte Rosa is the second highest peak in the whole of the alps, only Mont Blanc at 4810M is higher
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, DGO, the Monte Rosa is a 'mountain mass' comprising ten peaks, of which the Dufourspitze is the highest.

Because the Swiss-Italian border runs through this mass, both the Swiss and Italians have the Monte Rosa as their highest 'mountain', but the Swiss have the highest peak of it. In fact, they enjoy the five highest peaks of the Monte Rosa, and the Italians have to do with the five 'second best'.

As Zermatt boastfully point out, they also enjoy the greatest faces of the Matterhorn!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a nice pic of the Monte Rosa.

The Dufourspitze (4634m) is the right-hand peak.
The Nordend (4609m) is the left-hand peak.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

Actually, DGO, the Monte Rosa is a 'mountain mass' comprising ten peaks, of which the Dufourspitze is the highest

I know David that is why I said
Quote:

in fact the specific peak is called the Dufourspitze and is 4634 M

Laughing Laughing Laughing

What I should have said is the Monte Rosa has (rather than is) the second highest peak in the alps
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DGO. You also said that the Monte Rosa is the second highest peak. As I say, it's a group of peaks which include the highest peak.

Lewis was correct in saying that the Monte Rosa is Switzerland's highest mountain. We're dealing with the difference between a mountain and a peak. The Dufourspitze is not technically a mountain - it's a peak.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What I should have said is the Monte Rosa has (rather than is) the second highest peak in the alps

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blame it on the Swiss. They created this whole Monte Rosa / Dufourspitze confusion in the first place!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

Blame it on the Swiss

Ok I have no problem with that Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Indeed, blame in on the Swiss; David's shot of the Monte Rosa, though actually entitled 'Dufourspitze' covers the whole mountain, including the Nordend. I have skied up and down the MR, nearly to the top (we got about 20m from the summit of nordend on skis) from there you can look down on the Matterhorn, a truly great view. Took about 1.5 hours back to the Zermatt from there, a lot longer going up; I would highly recommend it to anyone fit enough.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy