Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Step Carving

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I was already aware that 99.9% of racers lead into turns with the inside tip,

Quote:

See this link below. Every single one of them has the inside ski considerably forward at the start of the turn.

uktrailmonster, I'm afraid I don't agree with your two statements above, either you have a different idea of where the start of the turn is from me, or you are misunderstanding the whole process. Racers (99.9% or not) do not lead into turns with the inside tip (they do not push their inside ski forwards). The aim is to establish balance on the outside ski early, higher up in the turn.

Even in the White Pass manouvre (where the inside ski is used to initiate the turn) the move is lateral, not forwards.

easiski, Yeah, lots of tip lead is seen in race club kids to promote inclination and high edging angles, then this is later managed by better angulation. I'll ask my Italian racer buddy this morning about the Italian perspective on tip lead.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

I was already aware that 99.9% of racers lead into turns with the inside tip,

Quote:

See this link below. Every single one of them has the inside ski considerably forward at the start of the turn.

uktrailmonster, I'm afraid I don't agree with your two statements above, either you have a different idea of where the start of the turn is from me, or you are misunderstanding the whole process. Racers (99.9% or not) do not lead into turns with the inside tip (they do not push their inside ski forwards). The aim is to establish balance on the outside ski early, higher up in the turn.

Even in the White Pass manouvre (where the inside ski is used to initiate the turn) the move is lateral, not forwards.

easiski, Yeah, lots of tip lead is seen in race club kids to promote inclination and high edging angles, then this is later managed by better angulation. I'll ask my Italian racer buddy this morning about the Italian perspective on tip lead.

Ok I give up with the verbal description. Lets just say I agree totally with the technique shown in the 2 videos you posted earlier, however you wish to describe it in words. By start of turn, I meant generally from the start all the way through the turn. I'm sure you'll disagree with that statement too Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, I'll be pleased to bhear what your buddy has to say. I don't have time to ask any handy italians - I just see them on the other side of the piste, but actually no clubs here at the moment anyway. I'm quite surprised there are any italians here actually ..

uktrailmonster, It sounds to me as if you and veeeight, are actually in agreement, but it's just the terminology that's differing. I would say though, that inside tip lead is something that happens, and not a manoevre (or shouldn't be), so therefore shouldn't be practised on it's own. OTOH it may be that it was an exercise to help the student concerned, and as far as that goes it worked as s/he is happy with the result and can now carve, where s/he apparently couldn't before.

You should see some of the odd things I make peeps do on the slope ... rolling eyes Puzzled rolling eyes Puzzled rolling eyes Puzzled Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, I had a long conversation with my Italian racer/instructor buddy, who categorically stated that Italian coaches work on keeping ski tips level with each other (ie; minimising and managing the tip lead that naturally occurs as a result of high edging angles, steep terrain etc.) - and do not condone advancing the inside ski at all.

I then described your observations to him - and he said that it was likely in the case of junior racers, for them to initially experience high edge angles, they lacked the co-ordination to initiate the carve with ankles, knees, but instead threw the torso/hip into the turn, with the result of large amounts of inclination and a large tip lead. Not something that is the final result, nor was it a step in getting there. Merely that they lacked the finesse to edge with the ankles/knees.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
easiski, I had a long conversation with my Italian racer/instructor buddy, who categorically stated that Italian coaches work on keeping ski tips level with each other (ie; minimising and managing the tip lead that naturally occurs as a result of high edging angles, steep terrain etc.) - and do not condone advancing the inside ski at all.

I then described your observations to him - and he said that it was likely in the case of junior racers, for them to initially experience high edge angles, they lacked the co-ordination to initiate the carve with ankles, knees, but instead threw the torso/hip into the turn, with the result of large amounts of inclination and a large tip lead. Not something that is the final result, nor was it a step in getting there. Merely that they lacked the finesse to edge with the ankles/knees.

Ok so it appears that pro racers work on reducing their inside tip lead, but it still occurs naturally to a greater or lesser extent as you say yourself. I still think it's asking a bit much to expect recreational skiers to ski with their tips perfectly level through the turn (if that is deemed to be the holy grail) when even top pro racers have a tendency toward a slight natural inside tip lead. My natural tip lead seems to be around 10-20 cm FWIW.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, Apart from that it's also adult club racers, this was pretty much as I thought. It's curious though, that it's more pronounced in the italians than in the french for instance if they work against it. BTW your "white pass~" turn - is that what we'd call inclination/anglulation here??? ie start the turn by inclination and then angulate to put the outside ski down and pressured about hald way round?

uktrailmonster, I would say that the pros put themselves under a little more pressure than a recreational skier. the speed and angles are much greater so tip lead is more likely, not less. I would not like to see level tips BTW. OTOH would probably think 20cms a tad on the big side.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can someone explain why these 'racers' try to reduce inside tip lead?
Is it something to do with being quicker edge to edge as there's less happening 'between' turns? or is there some other reason?
In escence....Why is inside tip lead such a terribly bad thing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

BTW your "white pass~" turn - is that what we'd call inclination/anglulation here

Yep, sort of. You finish the turn with 100% on your outside ski (lifting the inside ski a little helps). Then whilst still standing on that (old) outside ski, incline down the hill to start the new turn on that same ski (which then becomes the new inside ski) - you now have inclination, around Phase2 of the turn, set down the outside ski and increase edge angle by angulation.

Here's Michael Von Gruenigen mixing it up with some White Pass Turns.

http://www.rmmskiracing.org/video/2003-03-15-Lillehammer-GS-MVG-final.mpg

Yet more instructor techno babble. It's much easier to demonstrate and talk than to write down - so here's Guy H from the Whistler Blackcomb Ski School demonstrating it as a drill:

http://www.mytempdir.com/1264752
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I still think it's asking a bit much to expect recreational skiers to ski with their tips perfectly level through the turn (if that is deemed to be the holy grail) when even top pro racers have a tendency toward a slight natural inside tip lead

When you see recreational skiers achieve edge angles like this:

Then we'll start accepting the natural tip lead that occurs NehNeh

At the sorts of speeds and angles that (most) recreational skiers achieve, a large tip lead is indicative of issues occuring elsewhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hellfiresliding, please let me assure you that I'm not having a go at your German acquaintances, I don't know what they were trying to achieve, or if they were just using it as a drill.

I just strongly objected to the phrase "pushing the inside ski ahead".

By pulling or holding back the inside ski through ankle flex, you ensure:

1. You keep some shin pressure on the inside ski, and thereby ensuring the shovel stays hooked up
2. The hip is in the correct position and not dropped to the inside locked up
3. The pressure buildup is dominant on the outside ski
4. The correct fore-aft relationship is maintained
5. It establishes balance on the ouside ski higher up in the turn
6. It won't disrupts the relationship for natural counter-rotation

However - most importantly - as I'm not being paid for this session (let alone being tipped Razz ) - I've now got to go out in the real world and entertain some real world clients. It's day 3 of a carving moguls clinic, and my knees and back are beginning to complain!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 22-03-07 13:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hellfiresliding, A large tip lead is often indicative of or causing an excessive counter rotation of the hips, which blocks some of the movement that should be available to you. In other words it prevents your body moving naturally. A large tip lead is virtually inevitable when the skier's body is so close to the snow (high speed and/or a steep slope are required for this) in order to accommodate two legs of roughly the same length but with different degrees of flexion as in the pic above. Our concern in your case is that you seem to have been taught something that is therefore undesirable, or that you will need to "unlearn" at some point.

veeeight, Good vids - Von Grunigen was the master of GS wasn't he? Yes - that's what I meant - aha - another translation. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent...Thanks everyone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, I was

a) wondering how much of the visceral objection back there was to the word/concept of 'step' that would seem to imply a block of weght transfer onto the outside ski?

b) interested in the ankle flex of part 1: how does ankle flex keep the tip hooked up, and is there a femur steering motion?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warning: Geek content follows:

comprex,

a) No problem with the word/concept "step" - I use step in many situations, drills etc (but mainly on what is about to become the new outside ski). It's the concept of "advancing the inside ski" that I can't quite clearly see the benefits from.

b)

i) ankle flex - for me the most important part of the ski is the shovel, I always try to engage shovels at the start of the turn. It bites, it grips, it helps bend the ski. By maintaining some shin pressure this for me helps keep the shovels in the snow (maintaining a progressively dominant outside ski). I relate shin pressure to ankle flex (holding back the inside foot), and the opposite (opening or extending the ankle) will advance the inside ski, and remove all shin pressure, and the shovel will no longer be in the snow.

ii) femur steering. Hmm. Another can. No active femur "steering" as such, as all I'm trying to do in initiate my edges using a lateral motion with the ankles and knees. However, by initiating with ankles, then knees, the actual biomechanical motion is actually pivoting the femur in the hip socket........

wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, comprex, I have a problem with the idea of "femur steering" as it suggests to me that you rotate your femurs in the direction of travel and thus they are unlikely to be in line with either your hips or your feet??

veeeight, you are being uncommonly tactful there! in i) all you say is absolutely standard stuff I would have thought. It all starts from the ankle - no shin pressure, no pressure on the ski and no flex, no loading of the tip of the ski, no engagement, no engagement no turn (at least not one where the edges are concerned).

ps: I love step turns - I grew up doing them - I find it relatively hard not to do them - you even see WC racers do them these days in certain circs - but not these sorts of step turns though.
latest report
Quote:

veeeight, you are being uncommonly tactful there!

I must be catching it from you! NehNeh

Re femur steering, when you are next on a chairlift, raise the bar, straighten your knee joint, and rotate your femur. Is this what you mean, and if so, is your femur still not inline with you hip and foot? I'm not sure I understand the question...
ski holidays
I agree with you, in the sense that the closest parts of the anatomy to the ski are the most important to focus on. When being trained by BASI in 1975 the emphasis was on knee steering, but when another instructor mentioned 'pressing the button' with the big toe I thought that was brilliant - it's such a simple concept to get over to a pupil.

Whatever the femur does should - I'd have thought - be a function of what goes on below the femur. The subtle but powerful actions in controlling a ski should come from the foot.
ski holidays
Quick thanks to veeeight and easiski for their comments in this thread, I've found their explanations and video links very interesting (and I hope one day to find them helpful as well although I think the angles shown in some of those photos are beyond me). veeeight would you consider my thanks as a virtual tip? Wink
ski holidays
veeeight, Not on a chairlift. If I'm standing on my skis, or skiing along and I rotate my femur, my hip joint goes out (ie: rotation). The foot might follow the femur, but as David Goldsmith, says, the feet are more important as everything starts there. I just find this an odd concept.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Gratefully received wink It's gratifying to know that someone reads and digests this rubbish lol!

easiski, try it on a chairlift. You can't rotate the hip then! But 100% agree with you that it starts with the feet, I only mentioned femur turning because comprex, brought it up, and I also said "another can (of worms)"......

There are various people out there who promote thigh steering (eg; Warren Smith), I myself play with it from time to time.

When you try it on a chairlift, start the kinetic chain with the feet, and you should find that the femur pivots in the hip socket.

But here's the interesting thing. Edging, with the ankles and knees in a lateral motion, *will* bring about pivoting of the femur in the hip socket, as the knee joint has no sideways movement.
ski holidays
veeeight, I do that on a chairlift every ride as a stretch.

I asked because I had two problems with the explanations to that point:

1) I was not sure whether you wanted to pressure the shovel of the inside ski or not. If you did, that presented a natural cap to weight tranfer to the outside, because the inside boot must be flexed to pull it back. Thus we have two pressured skis on the ground, and, since the arcs don't match, one or the other must be steered.

2) The problem with subtle but powerful actions in controlling a ski coming from the foot is that the muscles there aren't remotely big enough or strong enough. How many skiers go through the ankle strength training speed skaters do? How many can actually flex their ski boots fully with the soles off the ground?

What makes far more sense is that the action is up high and the feedback of the effects of the action is at the foot. 'Step' moves therefore interrupt feedback (not action) and the system is run open-loop until pressured contact reoccurs.

Does this happen anywhere else? Absolutely, and the first example to mind is step climbing. The problems with step climbing as a teaching move for skiing are
a) there is a forward motion, indeed, to eliminate forward motion, one must turn the femur in socket (or lean back to create a virtual 'forward motion' as with ladder climbing).

b) timing- as soon as contact occurs there is weight transfer to the stepping foot and it doesn't stop (making it hard to finish ski turns)
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
veeeight,
1) I was not sure whether you wanted to pressure the shovel of the inside ski or not. If you did, that presented a natural cap to weight tranfer to the outside, because the inside boot must be flexed to pull it back. Thus we have two pressured skis on the ground, and, since the arcs don't match, one or the other must be steered.

Surely, I may be wrong, the arcs can be made to match by having very slightly more tilt on the inside ski than on the outside ski, and with the skis only perhaps 30cm apart then this difference in tilt for them to both follow a large arc (15m radius for example) would not even be noticeable. I don't think there would need to be any additional effort made to "steer" one ski or the other. Also, if both skis were tilted and pressured identically then the same applies - any steering of one ski or the other when scribing a large arc with the skis just 30cm apart is not going to be noticeable.
latest report
veeeight, "start the kinetic chain with the feet, and you should find that the femur pivots in the hip socket. " that's the point surely?

comprex, There is mostly no need to pressure the inside shovel. If you do, as you say, you get two unequal arcs which is why a racer, for instance would do it to gain height into the new turn etc. The inside ski will carve quite nicely, thank you, without much weight on it.

I'm not quite sure why you want to use strength to turn though? Certainly in Europe, and I gather in Canada, NZ and Oz we all think that it all starts at the foot as that's the bit of you that's actually on the ground (or nearly). I don't quite get why you would flex your boots with the soles off the ground?

What do you mean by step climbing? Do you mean beginners climbing up the hill? I don't think so, another translation is required methinks!
snow report
petemillis, hard as we try we may both be wrong, but the difference in tilt is not sufficient to overcome the difference in flex between 90% body weight and 10% body weight, so we're restricted to having the arcs match by tilt to only the teeny tiny area around transition, unless we devise L and R skis. 30cm apart might be a reasonable low-speed assumption, but with one knee flexed and the outside leg extended at high speeds, the gap becomes quite a bit bigger, 90cm possible.
latest report
easiski wrote:

I'm not quite sure why you want to use strength to turn though?

I don't, but the teaching/explanation language seems to push me in that direction. "Pull the inside ski back" has only two options: use of the ability to flex the boot with the sole off the ground OR pressure on the shovel. No other option exists that I can see.

Quote:

Certainly in Europe, and I gather in Canada, NZ and Oz we all think that it all starts at the foot as that's the bit of you that's actually on the ground (or nearly).

Sure, that's where all feedback is from so we can figure out what we're doing instead of flailing like spastic monkeys. Teaching through the feedback path implies a lot of learners are kinesthetic learners, no?

Quote:

What do you mean by step climbing? Do you mean beginners climbing up the hill? I don't think so, another translation is required methinks!

Climbing a flight of steps in street shoes.
snow report
comprex, Actually I never tell peeps to pull the inside ski back - I work on getting a natural stance on the point of balance and do my "signpost arm" thing which sorts out the body position and foot pressure a treat. I suspect that the idea of pulling back the inside ski is actaully to stop them advancing it - not sure, but...

I reckon nearly all learners are kinesthetic learners - except Little Tiger of course.

Aah - much too simple!! there was me looking for some wierdo different thing to do with stepping! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:
I was not sure whether you wanted to pressure the shovel of the inside ski or not. If you did, that presented a natural cap to weight tranfer to the outside, because the inside boot must be flexed to pull it back. Thus we have two pressured skis on the ground, and, since the arcs don't match, one or the other must be steered.

Ah that old chestnut. How do both skis prescribe identical radii yet have different amounts of bend in them? Look closely at the amount of bend in Deb Armstrong's outside ski vs. inside ski......

snow report
Clearly the outside ski is doing most of the work and the inside ski is going where it's being told to go within the radius of the outside.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since this thread is still going I thought I'd have a look at it.

I don't get it...which ski is advocated as advanced..inside ski...? It only becomes inside to me once into the turn otherwise its downhill. Surely we aren't talking about that as it would put you in a crap position getting into the turn. Even for short turns, I can't see this being any use.

I can see the point of advancing the uphill, for sure, which becomes the outside ski.......

Otherwise, very confused
ski holidays
JT, so am I.

Remember, skiing is fun snowHead
snow report
It's not hard to understand - the "inside" is the ski on the inside of the turn. It is perfectly normal for this to slightly lead the outside ski, then during the transition the skis become level as a result of the movement of the legs and body relative to the skis, and the old outside ski becomes the new inside ski at which point it slightly leads the new outside ski. I don't see how it can be referred to as the uphill or downhill ski.
I think the idea of deliberately advancing or pulling back one ski or the other is a red herring and in fact the position of one relative to the other is more a result of the leg position and flexing and body position during the turn. Surely this position will vary from person to person as it all has to do with leg and body geometry?!?!?!
ski holidays
JT, I'm sure you do get it and are just stirring the pot, but just in case. the inside ski becomes the new uphill ski at the end of the turn. Since you don't traverse in between each turn, to think of uphill and downhill skis is, in fact, the red herring - you have inside and outside (that being the turning ski), and hardly ever uphill and downhill!!! Your inside ski would be slightly advanced to help your torso stay fcing slightly to the outside of the turn, but to advance it too much would be to have a negative effect on your body position. Very Happy Very Happy

petemillis, I agree that deliberately advancing or retarding either ski is probably not a good idea, except that many beginners do need to learn to advance the uphill everything in traverse as otherwise they'd turn their bodies right up the hill! Shocked
latest report
I've thought about this thigh steering thing a little more, and I've realised that whilst the initiation is done from the ankles, the power needed to steer the skis through demanding terrain (eg: deep heavy snow) comes from the thighs (femur).
latest report
veeeight, the reason I've been thinking about it is fatigue, not the fatigue that occurs through activation of a muscle over a large range of motion, but the fatigue that occurs in holding steady and compensating for external input, much like those vibrating gym machines. A super-sidecut ski (metron, siam, xwing, supershape, magfire) in rutted random density piles would be the worst case scenario, because of the large rotating moment.

The bike no longer cuts it for fitness with modern ski technology; we have to develop t. anterior, hip abductors, gluteals, iliopsoas, r.femoris, the entirety of the ankle assembly almost in preference to the large muscles, and stretch them during the ski day. Another can, but I haven't seen it addressed even in the fitness threads.
snow report
comprex, Good point. Which is why I've always shyed away from gadgets like The Skiers Edge, great for conditioning some muscles, but lacking in conditioning all skiing muscles, no fore-aft component to the device.
ski holidays
I've been doing that "step forward" turn conciously for quite sometime before giving it up. My experience has been, by putting the inside legs forward, it forces me to move my body a bit more forward than I otherwise would. That resulted in helping me to put more weight forward on the outside ski, which helps carving.

But this "step" process totally mess up mogul skiing and powder skiing. I felt it was a crutch to overcome the "sitting back" habit of many skiers. Eventually, I found by concentrating on flexing the ankle and puttting my hands forward, I'm able to pressure my shine on the tongue of the boot without resorting to the "step forward".
latest report
I've been giving this a bit more thought (should be working really!) in the context of an intermediate skier learning to get away from making a narrow pizza at the start of each turn. If anyone has seen Phil Smith's videos, he talks about "toppling" over into the turn i.e taking support away from the inside foot and allowing yourself to literally topple into the turn. He uses an analogy with walking or stepping forward, where you take away all the support from the foot you are about to step forward and then commit yourself to toppling forward onto it. I'm fairly sure this is along the lines of what hellfiresliding meant by "step carving". He goes on to distinguish this technique from pure carving, where both skis are simply rolled onto their edges without any deliberate toppling over onto the inside ski.

Interestingly if you watch rob@rar's excellent helmet cam video, you can clearly see his inside tip lead through each turn. He almost looks like he's skating in some parts of the footage. I'm not saying this is desirable, just an observation. I think my own "natural" inside tip lead is less pronounced.

veeeight, I see your point about not deliberately forcing, pushing or literally stepping your inside ski forward. That's not something I do anyway. My inside tip lead simply happens by itself as I tip into the turn. I've never consciously made any attempt to reduce my inside tip lead, but I will certainly try this in future. Looking again at some of the top pro racers, it does appear that most of them make an effort to do this. Thanks for the insight on this.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Interestingly if you watch rob@rar's excellent helmet cam video, you can clearly see his inside tip lead through each turn. He almost looks like he's skating in some parts of the footage. I'm not saying this is desirable, just an observation. I think my own "natural" inside tip lead is less pronounced.

I think there are a couple of reasons for that, but I'd like to emphasise that you're right not to follow my technique as desirable Wink. Tip lead is most pronounced when I was holding a regular video camera in one hand and I think it was the result of being dead scared that I'd trip up and break it. When skiing like that I could feel how stiff and ungainly I was, with most of my turns having a little stem in them. The other time you can see some tip lead is on on the steep pitch of off-piste (it's much steeper than it appears on the video) and when I'm doing short radius turns which are quite angulated - as was discussed earlier you need to find room to flex the inside leg (especally if you unfortunately drop your hip into the turn Embarassed ). But if you look at the short section where I get into a tuck (where I'm doing a much better job or rolling from edge to edge) there is much less tip lead. I can say with certainty that I have never pushed my inside leg forwards, and any tip lead you see is the consequence of doing something else. My understanding of what hellfiresliding said was that there was a deliberate thrust forward of the inside leg to enhance tip lead whereas Phil Smith's walking analogy is more about a retraction of the leg (upwards) to create angulation.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I can say with certainty that I have never pushed my inside leg forwards, and any tip lead you see is the consequence of doing something else. My understanding of what hellfiresliding said was that there was a deliberate thrust forward of the inside leg to enhance tip lead whereas Phil Smith's walking analogy is more about a retraction of the leg (upwards) to create angulation.

Same for me, my inside tip lead is not deliberate either. I agree Phil Smith's analogy is mainly about retraction of the supporting leg. The forward movement is of course implied in walking, but he doesn't discuss it.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I can say with certainty that I have never pushed my inside leg forwards, and any tip lead you see is the consequence of doing something else. My understanding of what hellfiresliding said was that there was a deliberate thrust forward of the inside leg to enhance tip lead whereas Phil Smith's walking analogy is more about a retraction of the leg (upwards) to create angulation.

Same for me, my inside tip lead is not deliberate either. I agree Phil Smith's analogy is mainly about retraction of the supporting leg. The forward movement is of course implied in walking, but he doesn't discuss it.

I don't believe it is Phil's intention to imply a forward motion of the leg by using a walking analogy. I've been taught by Phil several times: he talks about leg retraction (in my case more leg retraction!) and not letting hips rotate, but he has never suggested pushing the inside leg forwards.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy