Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski like a boarder - online description of a learn to ski method

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.freerideskier.com/index.html

Any comments from you experienced guys and gals?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, however none of them positive!

learn to be an expert skier in six days sums my feeling up fairly well. i'm a full cert psia instructor working full time in colorado and i don't claim to be an expert after 44 years on skis and a decade of full time instruction

linked stopping........defensive turns........hockey stops? these are all terms utilized by the writer/author and fly directly in the face of what we are trying to teach skiers in colorado.

i'll leave it at that. i would recommend that if one wants to improve their skiing they establis a relationship with a well qualified instructor with appreciable experience.

is the word you folks use "punter"?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming that "Carl Owen" is a British name, I can't get over how poor the the writer's English is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rusty Guy, Hey nice to see you on here again. Yep, Can't agree more. 6 days to expert? If we assume an expert could be proxied by a world cup competitor, then 6 days to world cup? I think not...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rusty Guy,

a customer is a punter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rusty Guy, ignoring the terminology and the ridiculous "become an expert in 6 days" tag, what about the content?

There was a recent "Straight to Parallell" thread where I was in the anti anti plough minority camp but I have to say I couldn't proposed any sort of structured alternative as I don't have the knowledge or experience.

To me this site makes perfect sense.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had a good read through this. some of what he says explains things quite clearly, like the use of jump turns on steep descents. But I also notice that when he's talking about parallel turns/carving, the focus is on the lower leg implying knee angulation to tilt the skis, whereas most instructors would put the focus on hip angulation. He's a bit ambitious I think in implying that you could become an expert skier in 6 days, but I found some sense in what he was saying that could help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich wrote:
Rusty Guy, ignoring the terminology and the ridiculous "become an expert in 6 days" tag, what about the content?

There was a recent "Straight to Parallell" thread where I was in the anti anti plough minority camp but I have to say I couldn't proposed any sort of structured alternative as I don't have the knowledge or experience.

To me this site makes perfect sense.

the methodology is a bit dated imho. that's about as polite as i can put it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
Rusty Guy, Hey nice to see you on here again. Yep, Can't agree more. 6 days to expert? If we assume an expert could be proxied by a world cup competitor, then 6 days to world cup? I think not...

thanks.....i enjoy this site
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't want to ski like a typical boarder thanks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for making the comments. As someone who's struggling to move on from the snowplough I am always looking for any suggestions that might give me inspiration. I found the description of how to learn to side slip and develop it into a 'hockey stop' interesting but found it hard to visualise myself doing it as described. Sideslipping is a skill I want to master, but it is not really possible to do so in an indoor slope due to lack of slope space off the main 'highway'. I passed the 'recreation standard' but am not yet ready for the next level of lesson as they say I need to be confident coming down the steeper section at Castleford, and I'm not yet as I can't avoid seem to avoid going faster than I want to and end up doing a diagonal skidding snowplough rather than neatly travelling across between turns! It is SOOOO frustrating!

Never mind - it looks like I may well get 3 days in Tignes Les Boisses at the end of April with a couple of friends and might get to meet Stewart W! I just hope there is some snow left on friendly accessible beginner slopes not just those that look vertical to me!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 20-03-07 14:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just started reading the site, but it's *so* badly written it became painful! I might try again after a few more coffees Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy