Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais to Bourg St Maurice - route?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I remember some time ago somebody coming up with a cunning route that avoided the mess around Lyon, I think it used a new motorway link.

I will be driving out on 31st March and would be keen to try a different route. I have a Telepeage device, but have not used it yet, I hope this will help cut the delay time down.

Could somebody point me to the thread where this alternative route was discussed, I have tried a search but can't find the information I am looking for.

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP, probably not what you're after but if coming down the A46 towards Lyon I find that it's quicker to go east onto the A42 just NE of Lyon then down on the A432 past the Saint Exupéry airport before turning east onto the A43 towards Chambery again, rather than continuing along the A46 south onto the N346 and then turning east onto the A43.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP,pm me you fax number or e-mail and I'll send you our route proven over the last 15 years Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, I think that option sounds like the route I was thinking of.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can also miss Lyon altogether if you head further east, south of Dijon, towards Bourg en Bresse. Haven't got my map in front of me and can't remember the road numbers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I normally turn onto the A40 past Geneva, then through Annecy and along the lake. I think it's a much more pleasant drive than sticking on the autoroute, and I rarely get snared in traffic on this route.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Where to you turn onto the A40? Do you take the A39 or the A31 from Dijon? I assume you cut across on an N road from the A40 to Annecy, which one do you take?

TIA again snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CP wrote:
rob@rar, Where to you turn onto the A40? Do you take the A39 or the A31 from Dijon? I assume you cut across on an N road from the A40 to Annecy, which one do you take?

TIA again snowHead

Yes, onto the A39 at Dijon, then the A40 after Bourg-en-Bresse. I've tried the N201 via Cruseilles three times, and always got stuck in bad traffic so now I stick on the A40 then join the A41. It's slightly longer but I find it easier (and maybe quicker if my N201 experience is typical). There is a new autoroute being constructed to replace the N201 option, which is due to be ready for the 2009 World Championships in Val d'Isere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, CP, The Annency lake option I find is only OK if you miss the French rush hour's and there is no event regatta etc happening on the lake. Saturday's it is jammed solid all day so I'am told!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, agreed. I'd take the autoroute option via Chambery if driving on a Saturday. But other things being equal driving along the lake is infinitely better than the dull and dreary drive via Chambery.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your other option is to take the N504 after Bourg en Bresse which spits you out above Chambery. Scenic and pleasant driving but it has been stated on here that it can suffer from black ice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy