Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost of equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How much should i expect tp pay to equip me with skis poles and boots. It'll be my first skis and im an advanced skier and have heard it is cheaper to buy skis in america???? also i live in Northern ireland so limited number of ski shops
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Average pair of boots with fitting, footbed etc, is 549€. Skis and bindings and poles around 600€. Our equipment is found in the higher ranges.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
montylad,
Boots, I'd say £250-£350 plus budjet another £50-£100 for footbeds.
Skis, best to try before you buy but failing that some good deals in shops as sales about to start, Mail order S&R, EB, internet or there is always Fleabay. £250 - £500
Poles £20ish
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Google for Ski Bilek and ski conrad both offering rock bottom prices for this seasons gear and reccomended by snowHeads that have bought from them. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also Google for Lockwoods or Filarinski both have sales on at the mo.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey, I think you ought to buy a pair of second hand Salomon Crossmax V12s!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
montylad,In the sales last year- I got boots 30% off (fitted in a proper shop with a bootfitter) for £140 + £35 for the footbed
+ a little later some skis in the sale: were £420 I paid £240 I think my poles were £15.
Now would seem like a good time to buy Very Happy

I got them at Craigdon Mountain Sports, Inverness Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
montylad, buying skis from the US looks a bargain at first sight but there are pitfalls,

In the US unless the ski has an integrated binding system they tend to advertise ski only i.e. no binding. You have to add this in separately and of course there's import duty and VAT and I'm afraid getting them to put a bow round it doesn't help either.

If you go to the US and can pick up yourself or have someone carry them back for you and avoid duty then its probably a good option otherwise I'd stick to Europe.

Good time to buy wherever, happy shopping Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And here's the kicker: I found skis in Austria to be cheaper than buying them here in the States!

Example: 2007 Atomic SL:12 with Neox 6:14 was €449 back in mid-February (approx. $560 incl. VAT). The same package at clearance sales here in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. cost $679. If I were to claim the VAT refund and pay import duty, the cost would still have been under €450, so I would've saved money.

And I was very tempted to buy a pair of new, old-stock 2006 Atomic GS:11m boards with Neox 6:14 for €259. I came very, very close to buying 'em and bringing 'em home.

And the prices at Ski-Bilek are really, really great on top-end equipment. I'd shop around your area, but would look to places like Ski-Bilek for pricing when push comes to shove.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i cant really shop around cause i live in Northern Ireland which isnt best known for its record amounts of snow each winter Toofy Grin im also 17 and have no car and im the only one in the family interested in skiing so i may go to inverness some time next season and have a wee look around
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm- how long a piece of string. Boots- I'd say £200-£240 for a decent pair of boots not requiring substanial adjustment.

Skis- try ski bilek and ski conrad. Ski bilek cheaper to bid on ebay ratehr than use their shop. I picked up my fischer AMC 79s for £120 plus p&p from ski bilek's ebay business.this was v cheap but others have got similar bargains. My friend who I went skiing with picked up this years Rossi 9S for £260 plus p&p from ski conrad and was very happy with them. obviously its going to depend on what skis you want.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
montylad, is it really worth buying skis if you don't get the opportunity to ski regularly? Boots seem like a recommended first step (I will be doing this soon though at only 3 weeks on the slopes am far from "advanced"!) Most - if not all - resorts will rent you a set of skis and poles for a little less than plus boots...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy