Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wearing new boots for the 1st time

Poster: A snowHead
Bought my new boots on Thursday night and have started wearing them about the house. They feel a bit uncomfortable, but I think I still have to get used to them. My feet feel tingly, pins and needles and sometimes a bit cramp like. I presume this is normal for a brand new pair of boots.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, not necessarily 'normal'.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, Don't overtighten them (especially the foot catches) to start off with. Also, are you wearing same sort of socks as when you first tried them? Make sure your PVC hotpants aren't restricting bloodflow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, They were my symptoms. 9 days skiing and they fit much much better now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
petemillis wrote:
jb1970 Make sure your PVC hotpants aren't restricting bloodflow.

So, that's where I am going wrong!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, No, it runs far deeper than that. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
jb1970, They were my symptoms. 9 days skiing and they fit much much better now.

And mine. Two trips to a blokey in Canada and one to el Zoo for various treatment and they're perfect now NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, Take 'em back they don't fit Toofy Grin

When you have paid that sort of money you should demand and expect comfort !!!

Don't take all this 'you must wear them in b*llsh*t, you had to do that with a new car last century so why are you doing it with mega priced ski boots NOW!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970,
Did you have footbeds as well?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
jb1970,
Did you have footbeds as well?

No
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

They feel a bit uncomfortable [...] I presume this is normal for a brand new pair of boots

I hope not! My left foot felt gorgeously comfortable straight away. Right foot is now having the shell blown and then I'm getting custom footbeds. The width of my foot is not going to magically shrink, and after 10 minutes wearing them round the shop I was desperate to lose the right boot in restless-legs-syndrome kind of way. I wasn't in pain, I was just feeling ever-so-slightly squashed, and I knew it would drive me round the bend. Not only that, but I also knew that the discomfort would start radiating up my leg and sure enough, when I got back in the car, that had already started.

I expect a degree of discomfort from my pointe shoes - I don't expect it from my ski boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think wearing around the house is such a good idea.

I was told to wear thinner socks for the first day or two. The pressure of skiing, which is a lot more dynamic than just walking around the house, will compress the liner in a few hours what walking around the house won't do in days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The perceived wisdom seems to be that in a relatively short time the liner will compress by between 10-15%. If they are just right when you leave the shop surly by the time the liner has compressed they are going to be too loose.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clara_jo,
Quote:
I expect a degree of discomfort from my pointe shoes - I don't expect it from my ski boots

Shocked Shocked I tried to get away with a similar comment when CEM was fitting my boots at the Lockwoods day last autumn but it only prompted him to go and find a smaller pair Confused followed by a lecture on the evils of unsuitable girlie shoes. Apparently you can get footbeds for those as well

jb1970, pretty much the same experience as Frosty the Snowman with this - and they feel much better now
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970,
Quote:

My feet feel tingly, pins and needles and sometimes a bit cramp like.

This can be caused by the foot not being properly supported and the arch of your foot being compressed. It is worth considering having some footbeds made. The fit of the boot, control & comfort will be much better,
snow report
jb1970, I would be interested in the opinion of an experienced boot fitter, but I would be concerned.
From my experience, pins-and-needles means they are too tight and will only get worse.
Recently spent a long time in Precision (Val D'Isere) sorting out my daughters boots. Fantastic shop. Great guys. And Rosie now has comfortable boots for the first time in ages.
I learnt a lot. And a classic error - mentioned by petemillis above - is overtighten the foot catches (leave them finger tight) and loosen the leg catches (get these hand tight).

P.S. Ignore that post by Frosty: he's the size of Giant Haystacks - his boot liners will have given up the battle completely and compressed down to nothing. snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim, oooohhhh harsh................................but true Laughing Even the shells are now thinner.
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
jb1970,
Quote:

My feet feel tingly, pins and needles and sometimes a bit cramp like.

This can be caused by the foot not being properly supported and the arch of your foot being compressed. It is worth considering having some footbeds made. The fit of the boot, control & comfort will be much better,
I am considering foot beds.

The girl who fitted my boots at Ellis Brigham said that I can always add these at a later date.

I am sitting at the computer just now with my boots on because I have this stupid project to do for work (I am doing a management course and if I knew there was this much work involved, I wouldn't have bothered). Every now and then, I will get up and have a walk about the house. The problem is, however, I have wooden floors all through the flat, so my downstairs neighbours will be demented!!!!
snow report
jb1970, I would certainly consider footbeds. I think that if done well they enhance comfort AND feel/control. To me it appears you can use the whole of the foot on the ski and not just the ball and toes as I was doing previously.
snow report
samharris, I'm not so fussed about my toe touching the end of the boot (they have to do that in MBTs, as well) it's the feeling that my bones are being squished together widthways because my big toe is being pushed in from the side, all along its length. Then the big toe joint starts aching etc. etc. I started to feel imprisoned, if you know what I mean - like getting stuck inside a tight piece of clothing when you're pulling it over your head. You just want to stamp up and down in frustration.

And fortunately these days I don't wear my pointe shoes very often (although I have now googled footbeds for them, so thanks for the tip!). I tend to live in my MBTs and only occasionally surrender to the pull of one of my pairs of gorgeous girly spike heels.

And yes, I could feel that pressure on my toe when the bootfitter got me to try the shell on without the liner, so that at least gave me the confidence to know that waiting for a liner to compress wouldn't make the difference - my big toe would still be the issue.
ski holidays
clara_jo,
So do MBTs work then? If so, am curious to know how
snow conditions
jb1970, I fear you've got this all wrong mate; adding footbeds afterwards, not mouding the liners with footbeds, wearing them around the house. This is all wrong, why haven't you followed the many bootifitting/purchasing threads on this site? Puzzled
snow report
samharris, they definitely work. I bought them to sort out niggling low back pain, and they've definitely done the job as far as that's concerned but they definitely work the thighs and calves, too, so have proved excellent for continued wear during the ski season.

I am looking forward to buying a pair of their walking boots next.

http://www.swissmasai.co.uk/ to learn more. (Can someone remind me how you embed links?)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy