Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower leg compartment syndrome - choosing boots to accommodate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The season is coming to an end for me and i'm sat here with a broken fibula wondering about what to do to amuse myself Puzzled so thought may be a good time to muse over my boot situation again! Laughing Only 4 weeks till I can ski again up in Whistler, so better get cracking.

The other week I had a chat with my physio and we got talking about what I perceived to be my ongoing shin splint problem. After much banter and playing with my legs she came to the conclusion that i've never suffered shin splints but instead am suffering from lower leg compartment syndrome caused by me over tightening my upper buckles, trapping the blood from getting to my lower leg muscles and causing a pressure build up which is in turn causing muscle damage Sad

Skiing 5 days a week for the whole season, and every day I ski I have to do my buckles up ever sooooo tight to get the control I want over my fat skis. This combined with a '3 elastic' booster strap tightened till I can tighten no more is great for control but is killing off my legs slowly but surely.

Currently i'm shod with a pair of Tecnica Diablo Flames (grey ones) with foamed liners. I have a pair of Diablo Fires (orange ones) waiting to be used, but if need be will get a new pair of boots Laughing if it will help me to be able to gain the control I crave without causing the compartment syndrome problem.

If any other snowheads suffer from this problem and would like to share their experience in solving this would love to hear from you, or if any of the bootfitters that frequent here can offer any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

RR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
18-20mm lift. Cool Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, On the nose, depandant on foot length.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, I have skied my Gotamas with a pair of Fritschi Freeride bindings on for lift - eugh! never again Sad The feeling of skiing as if shod with a pair of high heeled shoes felt damn dangerous when on really steep stuff making short radius turns and the thought of straightlining bumpy terrain makes me cringe with such a setup. Lift is out of the question.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, You never had a punter in your shop with this problem?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rockyrobin, for once Shocked I actually meant -in- the boot to give your foot room to expand.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, Of course, it's tricky and requires a bit of refitting but so far we get it nailed. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, Hehe, I was wondering how lifter plates would help my legs Laughing
I already have heel lifts in both my boots to correct my fore aft alignment, though they're only about 10mm. I'm curious how this would help allowing my foot to expand? The muscles that are getting damaged are in my lower leg between boot top and ankle. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I wish I could pop into your shop and get some help from you, but sadly i'll be in North America for the next 2 years so am looking for some pointers to take with me to various bootfitters on this side of the pond till I find one that's up to snuff Smile

Can you offer any advice on how to get a pair of boots to offer the support and control without having to throttle your leg to death with the upper buckles and booster strap?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy