Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why don't the good skiiers ski big turns when safe to do so?

Poster: A snowHead
I realise being able to ski tight linked turns, zig zag motion, is essential for narrow reds and blacks, right?. Also going off piste you'd want to follow the guide closely rather than wonder about doing big turns incase there is a crevasse.

However on wide blues I still see better skiers ski in this way. Why? Do you find it fun? For me on wide blues it's much more fun to make big turns at speed and really feel the G forces and wind rush past me. If I manage to carve the turn the acceleration can feel electrifying.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PisteHead,
I ski fast wide turns when it's clear and safe to do so. The risk of collision is greater using wide turns, because speeds are higher and you're using more of the width of the slope. So in answer to your question, on wide blues, yes, I'd like to be skiing high speed carved turns, but only when empty. Blue runs will normally be inhabited by beginner/intermediate skiers. I would probably scare the sh*t out of people if I skied through them at full tilt. So if there are people on the slope I use short turns in the fall line, to stay safe.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-03-07 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PisteHead wrote:
If I manage to carve the turn the acceleration can feel electrifying.

Go straight the accelaration is even more electrifying Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try the 'flying kilometre' that's fill your underpants acceleration.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman,

so when people are going past whizz fast doing big time zig-zag it is safer and they really aren't going to pile into us wusses?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman wrote:
Try the 'flying kilometre' that's fill your underpants acceleration.

You could do that by just looking at the flying kilometre Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidpratt15,
I had a go at it a few years ago. 240cm skis the lot. It's like someone strapped a rocket to you and lit the fuse. 142kph and brown underpants
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:

Go straight the accelaration is even more electrifying Laughing

too risky wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx,
I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you talking about doing short or long radius turns?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman,

you see, you are confusing me with technical stuff again - I don't actually know what a radius turn is. What I do know is that when pootling down a nice blue there will be those people who whizz past you doing very small turns
/
\
/
\
/
\

v fast and we get the sh*t scared out of us Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I do long turns and go across the slope I'm usually able to spot all uphill skiiers so I can decide to continue along the arc of the turn if it doesn't make the uphill skiers change direction for me, otherwise I turn the other way to avoid our paths crossing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I prefer to do wide arc turns because it makes me feel more in control of my skiing and it gives me time to savour the run. I would say wide red-marked runs are the best for that. A good example is the red Jerusalem going down to St Martin De Belleville. It's rarely crowded and it's long and winding.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PisteHead, Think that Spyderman, summed it up really
Quote:
I ski fast wide turns when it's clear and safe to do so

It is too easy to get carried away with the speed when carving, and some idiot (usually teenager in a tuck position) straight line's the piste, just as you turn across.

So I save the high speed carving until the slope is clear, unless you know that there are no nutter's behind you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
srobbo, your cat seems to be sitting on the apostrophe button - shoo him off the keyboard.

Personally, I do short squiggly turns a) for a bit of variety and b) to show off. Cool Childish but irresistible.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally i turn only when i have to, and then its usually in big arcs with about a 27m radius.
latest report
I am a newbe to short zig zaggy turns having been taught them in Zermatt this year.

I asked to be taught to handle narrow icy red/blacks. I used to go edge to edge of wide pistes in lovely wide arc turns that felt terribly elegant but this doesn't work on narrow steeps where I used to hack my way down. Now I confess no matter how wide the piste I like to do the shorter turns (albeit with no style whatsoever like the above are surely meaning, but then practice will hopefully make perfect Blush )
snow report
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

I don't actually know what a radius turn is.

Short radius = Lots of tight turns down the fall line.
Long Radius = long sweeping turns.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
I don't actually know what a radius turn is.

There is no such thing as a "radius turn".

It is a short radius turn, or a long radius turn or a medium radius turn.

It simply expresses what the radius of the circle left in te snow would be if the turn were extended to a full 360 degrees.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
. What I do know is that when pootling down a nice blue there will be those people who whizz past you doing very small turns
/
\
/
\
/
\

What about when Kramer goes past you
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
wink snowHead
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, imagine the path your skis take as an arc of a circle; the tighter the arc the smaller the radius of the circle / turn
ski holidays
Long radius turns will ensure you catch a greater number of children in your teeth. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
thanks everyone, so actually more like

(
)
(
)
(
)

Laughing
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
thanks everyone, so actually more like

(
)
(
)
(
)

Laughing

It really would be lovely if that were actually the case.

But:
holidayloverxx wrote:

/
\
/
\
/
\

is really more like what happens. That's why they scare the sh*t out of you.
latest report
I like doing this
((.
.))
((.
.))
((.
.))
((.
.))
((.
.))
as you can actually experience quite a lot of force in short radius turns, and I've found that on some gentle slopes (like those long road sections) you can actually travel faster by pushing out of turns in a skating sort of way than someone who is going straight
ski holidays
petemillis,

I gotta learn to do this stuff (I mean skiing like that, not doing pretty diagrams using keystrokes - but that's cool as well Very Happy )
snow report
How about,
II
II
II
II
II
II
II
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
...))
..//
.((
..))
.((
..))
.((
..\\
...\\
....\\
.....))
....//
...((
Better yet vary the radius! snowHead
ski holidays
petemillis, nice pole planting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I'm too good for pistes and only ride Chamonix backcountry- which looks something like this;
((
))
II

II
((
))
snow report
So now you've met Angus, the "Naked Bootfitter". Yes, Jamie ' Fat Tongue Oliver' look'a'like. He skis a bit like this.

((
))
((
oouch.
II
((
))
oouch.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
to answer the original question, and humbly submitting that I'm a "good" skier, we do...

SZK forget powder 8s, I like your powder 11s!
snow conditions
This coming from SZK who whilst 'guiding' myself, my girlfriend and a mate down the tourist route of the Vallee Blanche, managed to clock up the most falls- more than the three of us combined.
ski holidays
That being only seen from behind me! How does my back look? Toofy Grin
latest report
This thread now belongs to our own internal banter. Toofy Grin
latest report
My usual progress looks like this:

I I
\ \ __________________________
____________________________ / /
I I
\ \________________________________________
__________________________________________ / /
\ \________________________________________________
_________________________________________________/ /
___
___

(It's getting steep Shocked )
latest report
Former FIS racer, DH and SG were my favourites. So when I freeski, and when the conditions and pistes warrant, I let 'em rip and carve huge arcs and high speed. This mostly happens at:

1. mountains in the Rocky Mountains (e.g. Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia), where there is a lot of terrain and open area to disperse crowds;
2. mountains in upper New England, where the trail networks help disperse crowds (though not on high-traffic holidays, like Christmas/New Year's and Presidents' Day);
3. pistes in the Alps when there's good snow cover and more open pistes - again, so the crowds can disperse.

But if the area is crowded, or open terrain is limited, I tone it down and work on tighter arcs. The longer skis (either 180cm SX:11s, or 186cm GS:11s, or sometimes 206 Dynastar SG skis) are traded for my 170cm Blizzard Sigma SLCs or 164cm Atomic SL:11s. Both of the shorter skis can handle higher speeds and big arcs, but both are equally at home working on sick, high-angle slalom carves. They're just the ticket here in the mid-Atlantic, where the mountains are small, the terrain limited, and the crowds thick.

But safety always comes first. If there's too big a crowd, even though I'm perfectly happy, in control and safe at 60-80kph, I can't control what others on the piste do. So I tone down the speed, work on fun, small arcs, and go with that.

Does that answer your question? snowHead
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
My usual progress looks like this:

I I
\ \ __________________________
____________________________ / /
I I
\ \________________________________________
__________________________________________ / /
\ \________________________________________________
_________________________________________________/ /
___
___

(It's getting steep Shocked )

ROFL! I love this! snowHead
snow report
I'm happy when I'm in this position....\II/ Quite difficult whilst wearing skiis!
latest report
petemillis, the position and timing of those pole plants worry me.............. Neh Neh
latest report
songfta wrote:
Former FIS racer, DH and SG were my favourites. So when I freeski, and when the conditions and pistes warrant, I let 'em rip and carve huge arcs and high speed. This mostly happens at:

Does that answer your question? snowHead

That does.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy